Major Storm Damage at USO

jt04

Could have sworn I just got an alert that I had been quoted by a poster named 'J something or other ... T ... that's it, JT04' ... wonder where that post went? Maybe it got smart and went to DLR!

The Mom must be working late tonight watching the NCAA tournament while keeping an eye on the magic.

WDW1974

The Mom must be working late tonight watching the NCAA tournament while keeping an eye on the magic.

Ah, so there was a post. Knowing you, I can't imagine it being offensive in ANY way!

As to The Mom, I think Sunday nights are when she bakes her world-famous apple pies (I could REALLY go for one now ... with one scoop of vanilla on top!!!)

Oh and in honor of your post -- congrats to UM's Canes on reaching the Sweet 16! Great season in a very non-basketball region. Oh, and I hear the local NBA franchise hasn't lost since Meg Crofton was still WDW's leader!

WDW1974

I know for a fact (from friends) that Disney did not communicate the dire emergency of the weather to the guests.

God help them if a tornado ever does hit a park.

You think they would? Or UNI for that matter? ... If they shut down ops or ordered everyone to safety everytime severe weather hit O-Town, you'd likely be talking of every other day during summer and early fall. And this is supposed to be early spring.

I just know if I was at the MK and saw a funnel cloud, I'd wander downstairs and deal with any consequences after.

Tom

Beta Return
This is why I called the guy a liar. Are the doors at Odyssey locked normally? Did the CMs actively prevent people from coming in?
Without visual proof, I stand by my calling him a liar.

Calling someone a liar in response to their very first post, with no evidence that he/she is lying, is a tad harsh.

I question the scenario, but there's also a big difference between someone being mistaken and knowingly lying.

WDW1974

Any word if Universal Orlando Resort had an organized response?

I can tell you that they did an absolutely crappy job during a torrential/violent downpour during HHN's last fall when I was there.
They even tried to order people seeking cover in front of some cast building backstage that had a covering to move out into the storm. The people refused, so they called security and a guard just stood there watching them for 45 minutes in the rain. I know because my party was part of the group.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster
If in fact the National Weather Service issued a Tornado Warning for areas including any theme parks and there was no organized response, that should be unacceptable.

The problem with Tornado warnings (not watches) is that you only have a few minutes to react and make intelligent decisions, and the worst thing you would want to do is make a bad situation worse by creating a panic. (Yell fire in a movie theater scenario). I am pretty sure that someone in an operations center on property was tracking this and starting to make notifications and getting resources lined up. Keep in mind too, the Tornado warning while close was not specifically for the WDW area. All of the parks and resorts have PA systems to alert guests to these types of emergencies, and it may be easy to say just plan C it, but in my years as a first responder, I've seen a lot of people do stupid things in emergency situations over and over and over to know that in a crowded place the evac could be just as dangerous as the event causing it.

HenryMystic

I can tell you that they did an absolutely crappy job during a torrential/violent downpour during HHN's last fall when I was there.
They even tried to order people seeking cover in front of some cast building backstage that had a covering to move out into the storm. The people refused, so they called security and a guard just stood there watching them for 45 minutes in the rain. I know because my party was part of the group.
That night was miserable!

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Anyone know how solid Disney is? How bad does a tornado have to be to damage the big buildings? (That sort of thing.)

A lot of Disney is solid construction, but even a weak tornado could do major damage. One of the most easily damaged part of the buildings are the windows. Flying debris, through the windows equal major damage and potential for injuries.

bsiev1977

Calling someone a liar in response to their very first post, with no evidence that he/she is lying, is a tad harsh.

I question the scenario, but there's also a big difference between someone being mistaken and knowingly lying.
Harsh it may be. I wouldn't put it past some people on here to make up a story just to get a particular response. A posting about how CMs supposedly turned people out into a storm because they weren't AP holders could be designed to elicit the "Disney s bad..." response.

PhotoDave219

You think they would? Or UNI for that matter? ... If they shut down ops or ordered everyone to safety everytime severe weather hit O-Town, you'd likely be talking of every other day during summer and early fall. And this is supposed to be early spring.

I just know if I was at the MK and saw a funnel cloud, I'd wander downstairs and deal with any consequences after.

A tornado within 5 miles of MK means you need to get guests to shelter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom