Major DTD update

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yes, but to be completely fair, DD is no different than the parks in this regard.

Disney simply doesn't plan rationally and responsibly and then follow through ...

This comes off as worse then most of their other waffling. A huge section of DTD is completly shut down, and has sat that way for ages. We have heard whispers of BOLD new plans, but nothing comes of it. Then we get a major announcement, a bundle of concept art, and again, nothing comes of it. Now we are back to hearing whispers. All the while, the middle third of DTD sits vacant. Imagine if FLE had not started construction, but they shuttered Dumbo and SWSA. Threw up construction walls, then just left it sitting there like that for 5 years. That's what's happening at DTD. It's a joke.

Rasvar

This comes off as worse then most of their other waffling. A huge section of DTD is completly shut down, and has sat that way for ages. We have heard whispers of BOLD new plans, but nothing comes of it. Then we get a major announcement, a bundle of concept art, and again, nothing comes of it. Now we are back to hearing whispers. All the while, the middle third of DTD sits vacant. Imagine if FLE had not started construction, but they shuttered Dumbo and SWSA. Threw up construction walls, then just left it sitting there like that for 5 years. That's what's happening at DTD. It's a joke.
*Cough*20K Leagues Under the Sea - 1994*Cough* Not quite as bad but almost.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
*Cough*20K Leagues Under the Sea - 1994*Cough* Not quite as bad but almost.

I was just a wee boy in 94, so I don't know all the details on that closure. But did Disney shut it down with the promise of bold new experiences coming immediately to replace it?

WDW1974

I'm ALWAYS there. It's not just the summer. It's especially bad on big movie nights (Avengers and Batman opening weekends, for example).

Probably. Never thought to do that but it's a good idea. Not sure if security would give you a hard time if you bumped into them.

To add to that, there should be enough parking to handle even the busiest, rarest, most special-event nights of the year.

I dunno ... Tim ... you are there more often, but I've been plenty and have friends in the area who are there weekly and while there are some bad nights, they seem very few and far between.

I'd also add there are plenty of times when the MK parking lot fills up. I've seen grass parking dating to probably the 1970s!

There are sometimes when parking is gonna be an issue at places and that's OK.

Mouse Detective

But seriously... It's going to be a major shopping and entertainment district... Literally a "downtown" Disney.
And a note on parking: I tried to see a movie last weekend and there was not a single spot to be found.

Love the sound of those words: entertainment district
And that's what so many of us are seeking out there, if done right.

As for parking, that's the nice thing about nightlife. The DTD parking lot really clears out after 10pm yet that is when nightlife is just beginning. So a PI-like adult area would compliment the area, extending use of facilities rather than them shutting down as they do now.

Rasvar

I was just a wee boy in 94, so I don't know all the details on that closure. But did Disney shut it down with the promise of bold new experiences coming immediately to replace it?
They weren't as sophisticated then. It really just sat there to rot and occasionally the queue used for meet and greets in later years until the Pooh infestation came along a long time later.

WDW1974

Have you seen River Country or Discovery Island recently?

WDW1974

No. Lies all around.

First, it was just temporary like a seasonal rehab.

Then, it was extended because it needed major work and they were going to plus it.

Then, it wasn't coming back, but they were Imagineering something even better.

Then ... basically 15 years of rotting, the last 3-4 where they stopped chlorinating the lagoon, resulting in mosquitos in the MK for the first time for me in decades (and hundreds of individual days there)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Have you seen River Country or Discovery Island recently?

Well yes. But, like I was saying above...

PI was shuttered along with a promise of bold(JT, you listening?) new experiences. And we have gotten nada.

River Country was shuttered, but we had BB and TL, and brain eating ameobas to blame it on.

DTD reeks of poor management, lack of foresight, lack of imagination, lack of a basic understanding of a major portion of their potential customer base.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No. Lies all around.

Then, it was extended because it needed major work and they were going to plus it.

Then ... basically 15 years of rotting, the last 3-4 where they stopped chlorinating the lagoon, resulting in mosquitos in the MK for the first time for me in decades (and hundreds of individual days there)

Thanks for the knowledge on that. That is almost exactly like PI. Good to know this isn't a one off eff up by Disney. Very frustrating.

Tim_4

Original Poster
So a PI-like adult area would compliment the area, extending use of facilities rather than them shutting down as they do now.
The problem with "adult" entertainment is that you can't bring children through it. I wouldn't bring an eight year old to City Walk even to see a movie because it's been overrun by slutty teenagers. I'm ALL for a segregated adult/club area like the closed-gate days of PI but the average Disney family doesn't want to walk through a top-40 or hip-hop dance crowd going from the candy store to their AMC showing of Fuzzykins Goes to the Zoo.

Rasvar

The problem with "adult" entertainment is that you can't bring children through it. I wouldn't bring an eight year old to City Walk even to see a movie because it's been overrun by slutty teenagers. I'm ALL for a segregated adult/club area like the closed-gate days of PI but the average Disney family doesn't want to walk through a top-40 or hip-hop dance crowd going from the candy store to their AMC showing of Fuzzykins Goes to the Zoo.
*Bites his lip on mention of the closed-gate days and mutters obscenities under his breath at the Food and Beverage management of PI that changed that*

jt04

Well yes. But, like I was saying above...

PI was shuttered along with a promise of bold(JT, you listening?) new experiences. And we have gotten nada.

River Country was shuttered, but we had BB and TL, and brain eating ameobas to blame it on.

DTD reeks of poor management, lack of foresight, lack of imagination, lack of a basic understanding of a major portion of their potential customer base.

Evidently the first version for a "new and bold" DTD was not quite bold enough for the deciders. If we get something even better than HW then I call that a win.

So here is my thinking behind River Country.....

Ameobas are a problem in these type lakes during the summer. That is just a fact. That they also closed the FW beach indicates closing RC may not have been about TDO cutbacks.

There is also a possibility Disney legal people found RC to be just unsafe. Perhaps some sort of state health/safety office found issues beyond just parasites. There are all sorts of animals in the water (not to mention people) and bacteria levels may have become a problem. Alligators and snakes also get into and around the area.

But I will bet the biggest factor was the environmentalists and state environmental concerns. RC closed about the time Disney started all of the on-property changes to clean up the area and start practicing better water management. WDW is at the top of a system that eventually creates the Everglades. Disney bought huge amounts of land they restored to help offset the impact WDW has on this important watershed.

So if you want someone to blame for RC, blame the greenies. Although in this case they were correct! The impacts of such initiatives on Florida's water and wildlife has been very positive. I even saw some otters that had moved in after RC closed with my own eyes and reports of many species returning to Disney's conservation area have been numerous. Great success story.

FrankLapidus

No. Lies all around.

So, just to clarify, the closing of River Country had nothing to do with the amoeba supposedly in the water? I've heard a few rumours behind the reason why it closed and I never understood why, if the reason was the amoeba, Disney never publicly said so; for me, the serious risk of potentially deadly bacteria in the water would have been good enough. The longer its gone on without any kind of comment, the more I've wondered whether Disney see the amoeba rumours as a conveniant cop-out.

jt04

Except for the water park that has essentially been left to rot for the past decade. Disney must have been concerned when those 'Urban explorers' got in and posted a video of the state of RC at present.

One of the more puzzling aspects of the story. Perhaps River Country will be the subject a future episode of "Life After People" on the History channel.

jt04

So, just to clarify, the closing of River Country had nothing to do with the amoeba supposedly in the water? I've heard a few rumours behind the reason why it closed and I never understood why, if the reason was the amoeba, Disney never publicly said so; for me, the serious risk of potentially deadly bacteria in the water would have been good enough. The longer its gone on without any kind of comment, the more I've wondered whether Disney see the amoeba rumours as a conveniant cop-out.

Could be there is a potential or pending lawsuit out there. Who knows?

FrankLapidus

One of the more puzzling aspects of the story. Perhaps River Country will be the subject a future episode of "Life After People" on the History channel.

I liked that lights are still on there at night and that the banjo music still plays over the speakers, it gave the place a creepy quality I kind of liked.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

74 was referring to 20000 leagues, not RC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom