Major DTD update

Ignohippo

I'm sure all the lake buena vista hotel operators would love you for such suggestions...

Well, a much more successful DTD would be a win for everyone. Who cares of the slice of the pie is proportionally smaller if the pie itself is much, much larger?

If DTD gets built up as rumored, two new hotels wouldn't make much of a dent. They may actually be needed.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Fixed that for you.

(Did I mention it took 50 minutes to get from MK to TTC last night? During which time--right at closing--exactly two monrails travelled the express route. Well, three if you count the empty Monorail Green. Time to build a parking garage within walking distance.)

In all seriousness, though, we seem to be caught up in a discussion about parking rather than all the empty space currently in DTD. OP alluded to a plan, any more details?
That surprises you? Time for them to get WORKING MONORAILS!

El Grupo

If you park in the PI or West Side lot, this is simply not true, and these are the areas that need content. This entire plan is folly and a misuse of capital improvements. DTD was fine this time 4 years ago. Disney should be investing in the real reason people come and spend $90 a day, the parks.

DTD getting a parking structure before DHS. Hilarious and sad at the same time.

I agree with you if a choice were being made between this rumored DTD plan and park upgrades. However, I'll be curious to see if Disney starts moving forward with multiple large-scale plans (like TDA in the late 90s).

devoy1701

No more hotels are needed.

Agree. There are almost 1,300 rooms right across the water at Saratoga Springs, 3,000 up the river a bit at Port Orleans, and countless thousands and the DTD Neighboring Hotels... PLENTY within walking distance or short/calm boat ride. Plenty to stumble back to after a night of adult fun. Maybe a Pedestrian Bridge might be needed for safer access to the neighboring hotels.

jt04

If you park in the PI or West Side lot, this is simply not true, and these are the areas that need content. This entire plan is folly and a misuse of capital improvements. DTD was fine this time 4 years ago. Disney should be investing in the real reason people come and spend $90 a day, the parks.

It may not be that far to you but for others heading to the Marketplace it is a very long haul expecially on warm days. Now that so many capital projects are finished there is plenty of money for fixing DTD and doing the other things you mentioned. DCA 2.0 and the DCL's are doing great.

Keep in mind that DTD will largely be third parties so it is not like they need to put up all the money. Proper infrastructure and well planned logistical design/layout will bring vendors in droves. There is already plenty of built in customer demand both from the tourist side but also locals.

WDW1974

It is hard to get excited when it seems projects for Downtown Disney have been a go for years now, only for each one to fizzle and die.

And when these plans are more infrastructure related (not that that makes them bad ... DD has been a mess due to its very haphazard expansions over the years) than substance.

Splitsville may be nice, but it's not likely to see one hour of my vacation time in O-Town.

WDW1974

Not gruntled. Not disgruntled. Not "Ex". Not current. Not nothin' but a "never-was" .

You are being too hard on yourself. Just because Disney kicked you out of WDI when your $200 million Barbie-themed doll showplace for EPCOT was laughed away ... you have talents. They will show themselves. They already have.

Merfie's pal....yeah...

Anyway, it was more likely February of LAST year when I showed you that.

I just put the Merf reference because it's amazing how people who no longer are around seem to know imemdiately when they or their info is mentioned elsewhere ... like MAGIC.

And was it really 2011?!! ... Life does speed by, doesn't it?

WDW1974

I think the problem with DTD is there is no timeline. The project has been in such flux, for so long, that there isn't any kind of timeline to go off of. Everything seems to be soon, sorta, maybe, or maybe not.

Yes, but to be completely fair, DD is no different than the parks in this regard.

Disney simply doesn't plan rationally and responsibly and then follow through ...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
I just put the Merf reference because it's amazing how people who no longer are around seem to know immediately when they or their info is mentioned elsewhere ... like MAGIC.

He truly does have his finger on the pulse of the interwebs, doesn't he? :rolleyes:

WDW1974

I do agree on this.

The problem really is the bus depots block the best area for parking and everyone wants to be in front of WoD or T-Rex or AMC ... no one wants to ... you know ... put one foot in front of the other.

I have NEVER seen the lots totally filled, even at Christmas time. Westside ALWAYS has spaces even during events. ALWAYS.

But don't assume that DD will have a parking structure before TPFKaTD-MGMS. There are talks on that front ...

bethymouse

Another "dig" at DTD. I used to like spending time there. Now- not so much.:( I love the World of Disney store, but most things you can find at Epcot Mouse Gear. Lego seems out of place, since there's a Legoland down the road.:( The restaurants are nice, but that's about it. It is a lot like Myrtle Beach and Boardwalk(SC) stores/rides, etc... I just don't get it. The balloon ride was cool, but is that up and working yet?:( I guess Disney is trying to get the locals to visit. There's just too much to see and do @ WDW than to just go to DTD to shop and eat. Just MHO.:eek:

WDW1974

THANK YOU!!! I've said this for years. One of the things that makes City Walk so successful is the hotels that are within an easy walking distance.

To take it one step further, an adult-oriented hotel in DTD would do wonders. I'm talking about a tower with pools on the rooftops and an adult party atmosphere - no one under 21 allowed. In my crazed fanboi dreams, it would be in the parking lot behind Splitsville, with the pool and outdoor entertainment area on the Splitsville roof.

Another tower hotel (for all-ages) could go on the land north of Cirque and next to HoB. Both would be budget/moderate (around $149 per night) and both would be sleek, contemporary and very un-Disney.

An adult hotel at DTD would change the reputation that Disney is only for kids and add another demographic that currently doesn't appeal to. Adding two hotels right on DTD property would bring thousands of people to the area every day that would shop at the stores and dine in the restaurants/drink at the bars that otherwise may stay off-site or not come to WDW at all.

Why?

You have SS there? You have six DD hotels all within walking distance. As a frequent guest of the DD Hilton, it doesn't get any more convenient than that.

And adults only on WDW property just won't work. Period. That's one reason why PI isn't around, Disney never wants to tell you that you can't bring you brats anywhere. I am surprised that they haven't started letting them into the spas.

WDW1974

Fixed that for you.

(Did I mention it took 50 minutes to get from MK to TTC last night? During which time--right at closing--exactly two monrails travelled the express route. Well, three if you count the empty Monorail Green. Time to build a parking garage within walking distance.)

In all seriousness, though, we seem to be caught up in a discussion about parking rather than all the empty space currently in DTD. OP alluded to a plan, any more details?

Well, that only speaks to the fact the WDW Monorail System is failing apart and inefficient, not that MK needs a new parking facility.

WDW1974

His Twitter account is priceless. He is quite entertaining and irreverant as we all know. But it is amazing the amount of knowledge of the parks he has amassed.

I agree. I think his anger toward WDI tend to take away credibility that he should have. He also likes getting into typical Twitverse peeing contests, which again don't do much for one's cred. (Now, watch how he Tweets that I am attacking him yada, yada, yada).

I'll also say, and this isn't about Merf but about many of the fanbois out there, that many folks in the Twitverse get caught up in small ancient and largely insiginificant things (the recent Orange Bird fervor would be one). They are so focused on one tree that they don't realize the entire forest has been chopped down and replaced by a Super Walmart.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You are being too hard on yourself. Just because Disney kicked you out of WDI when your $200 million Barbie-themed doll showplace for EPCOT was laughed away ... you have talents. They will show themselves. They already have.

I just put the Merf reference because it's amazing how people who no longer are around seem to know imemdiately when they or their info is mentioned elsewhere ... like MAGIC.

LOL you think they aren't around? All the WDWMAGIC haters end up back here. The number of different user accounts they create is mind-bending - all the time swearing blind that they hate WDWMAGIC. Yet they always return. They just can't stay way.

WDW1974

LOL you think they aren't around? All the WDWMAGIC haters end up back here. The number of different user accounts they create is mind-bending - all the time swearing blind that they hate WDWMAGIC. Yet they always return. They just can't stay way.

I don't know whay anyone would hate this site, or any site. These are fan sites. This isn't life or death. I had some unpleasantness on another site that I truly loved, but I don't hate it. I've had issues with posters here. That's life.

I think people sometimes take things too seriously. Other times, I know it.

Of course, with Disney's attempted 'take over' of social media, it does make you question things in a way I'd have never questioned say ... back in the RADP days. You knew if someone had a crazy opinion that at least it was theirs!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom