Major DTD update

NoChesterHester

I recently help with a parking structure planning and it was estamated to cost $35,000 per parking slot. In order to put a dent in the parking a DtD you would be looking at maybe 2,000 cars or a cost of $70,000,000 to build just the parking structure. With empty lot parking at West Side, I would think you could build the transportation system from there a lot cheeper than a deck on the east side.

Depends on the efficiency, scale, complexity, but most of all cladding. I recently was on the project team for d a 3500 car garage for an airport including a rental car facility and infrastructure upgrades. The cost was 72 million, or right at 20,000 a space. This was inside an operating facility with very difficult infrastructure.

Urban garages cost 35-40% more. Green field garages, like would be put in an existing parking lot can be done pretty reasonably. It may seem like a big chunk of change, but compared to land cost (when there isn't any) it can be a bargain.

71jason

Well, that only speaks to the fact the WDW Monorail System is failing apart and inefficient, not that MK needs a new parking facility.

Eh, the whole purpose of Walt's dream is defeated anyway when the first thing you see as you walk up to MK is bag check lines and Orange County deputies. I say make the monorail resort-line only and build a more convenient way for other guests to get to and from the park. Sorry for the thread drift...

Back on topic, you're right about parking at DTD. Even on Fouth of July when you could still see fireworks, you could find a space out behind Cirque/HoB. But of course, everyone would rather be over by Marketplace. Which brings us back to the question no one (least of all the OP) seems to be able to answer--just what will go in West Side and PI that's supposedly going to pull all this new traffic?

Tim_4

Original Poster
Which brings us back to the question no one (least of all the OP) seems to be able to answer--just what will go in West Side and PI that's supposedly going to pull all this new traffic?

But seriously... It's going to be a major shopping and entertainment district... Literally a "downtown" Disney.

And a note on parking: I tried to see a movie last weekend and there was not a single spot to be found.

TimeTrip

I havn't seen a particularly new plan, but based on the diagram I have, this was what they had in mind back in Spring 2011.
(As I read it, yellow is the entrance, red is the exit back to I4. No idea on what the plan is for eastbound traffic.)View attachment 28052
Oh hey, this image just showed up on savePI....

Anyways, seems like adding a road from EB I-4 to the proposed DTD entrance ramp is feasible. However, exiting DTD to WB I-4, perhaps merging further down the i-4 entrance ramp would work. But wow, that seems like it would require a ton of effort and money with all the overpasses and what-not.

jt04

And a note on parking: I tried to see a movie last weekend and there was not a single spot to be found.

Careful, you are tredding on a meme they have been cultivating for years. They used to try to tell everyone there were never any crowds at DTD after PI closed but that just became impossible to sell after awhile so they dropped it.

What they should do is open a kiosk at DTD and sell snake-oil. They would all be rich overnight! LOL :)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Yes, because one night makes a point makes.....

I'd say you should see how parking at DtD is for yourself, but we all know how unlikely that would ever be.

Rasvar

I have only seen rare filled parking lots since PI has closed. Parking was a much much bigger issue when PI was open. I actually use to spend a lot more time in DTD Westside when PI was open. Now, I only go there to go to the AMC. Since I don't live down there now, I think I have spent two hours in Westside, not at the movies, in the last two years versus about 30-40 in the Village area.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Yes, because one night makes a point makes.....

I'd say you should see how parking at DtD is for yourself, but we all know how unlikely that would ever be.
I'm there basically every weekend.

Now, I only go there to go to the AMC.
That's one of the main reasons I go and the fact is, if it's Friday or Saturday night, you're going to be taking a HIKE to get from any spot you're lucky to find to the theater.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Have you been there recently? You can barely move.

In the midst of the summer season? I'm not overly surprised. But, I've been there at Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Memorial Day and at President's Day (for good measure). Never had any issues finding a spot to park. Could have been a bad night for you and the movies. Could be an uptick in the numbers for the summer....

lazyboy97o

That's one of the main reasons I go and the fact is, if it's Friday or Saturday night, you're going to be taking a HIKE to get from any spot you're lucky to find to the theater.
This only shows that there is still a design and experience problem. It shouldn't be a chore or problem to park away from a particular area.

Tim_4

Original Poster
In the midst of the summer season? I'm not overly surprised. But, I've been there at Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Memorial Day and at President's Day (for good measure). Never had any issues finding a spot to park. Could have been a bad night for you and the movies. Could be an uptick in the numbers for the summer....
I'm ALWAYS there. It's not just the summer. It's especially bad on big movie nights (Avengers and Batman opening weekends, for example).

Can't say that I have been there on a weekend recently. I always parked at Team Disney building on the crowded nights. Can you still do that?
Probably. Never thought to do that but it's a good idea. Not sure if security would give you a hard time if you bumped into them.

This only shows that there is still a design and experience problem. It shouldn't be a chore or problem to park away from a particular area.
To add to that, there should be enough parking to handle even the busiest, rarest, most special-event nights of the year.

Rasvar

Wouldn't crossing Buena Vista drive be just as much of a chore on a busy night?

Naa, they have a signaled crosswalk right there. Just have to push the button and you get a pedestrian only period. Never ran into any security. I always parked right near the corner by the crosswalk. Hop out of car, go to cross walk and then walk straight to AMC.

bugsbunny

Disney build a direct ramp from an interstate? In this day and age? Not unless the can put DVC kiosks and pin trading stations directly on that road! :D

And at resort prices even for things at DtD, I'm not so sure the locals are going to want to flock here, else they would have built it already. They have been kicking the can down the road with DtD and PI for almost a decade now with nothing but rumors and almost dids. Its a shame really, especially when if you have been to DtD at DisneyLand. What a difference, imho!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom