Major DTD update

djlaosc

I agree that go-karts, batting cages, laser tag, etc. would be great additions to WDW, just not at DTD. I imagine they'll go much more upscale with anything they add there. Those things would be amazing additions to ESPN WWoS though! Add a large family bowling center and you'd have a real winner there! That's really an amazing idea!

I would like to see those kinds of things get added to ESPNWWOS! The bowling is already supposed to be happening (100 lanes for pro competitions, for the public the rest of the time), unless it has been put on hold again!

If they could build the above, maybe they could start to put more ESPNWWOS busses from the hotels (currently only Caribbean Beach, Pop Century and at least one of the All-Stars, I think), or at least they could have a bus that goes from DTD to ESPNWWOS and back to allow you to access the activities (plus, it would allow ESPNWWOS to make money every day from tourists, rather than just when they have an event on)

Longhairbear

A couple things, Longhairbear...

(1) "Profitable Adventurers Club" is a redundency (and think how profitable Sams would be with a $25 cover!)

(2) How is your plan any different from what PI was--other than having a fairy tale princess-themed bar that would appeal to the 0.1% of the population who are fanbois rather than, say, an 70/80s theme or big city club theme that would appeal to the majority of people age 21 - 49?

But more importantly, forgetting what DTD coulda/shoulda/woulda been, and why River County is no more, can anyone (OP, looking in your general direction) name JUST ONE business that will be a part of the new DTD?
I am only saying that Trader Sam's is a small venue that works well at the Disneyland Hotel. Every time I have been there, I have gladly opened my wallet. BTW, Trader Sam's is a short walk from DTD at DLR and open after most of DTD closes. It's been filled with guests inside on every one of my visits. Outside has a Hawaiian quartet that plays great music to those seated outdoors. I have chatted with the other guests that came from Las Vegas, Canada, and were not all the general fanbois/fangals. Some were there for a convention, wedding, press junket, just passing thru, and others were rabid Disney fans. I am well above the 21- 49 age range you mention, and closer to 60 than I care to admit. I'm young at heart, and chatted with the entire age range of 21 - 49 and over that were guests at Trader Sam's. I was a bartender for 30 years and have an eye for what's working, and what's not. The point is, it was busy and making money. Some came to just get a darned drink, others came to have fun and immerse themselves in the theming. It's very hard to not have a good time at Trader Sam's.
My earlier post does in fact invoke what was once PI. I am merely saying the concept works when done correctly, and perhaps better on a smaller scale. I probably am at fault for not explaining completely what was in my head when wrote my post. What I was envisioning was 4 heavily themed drinking establishments themed to each land at MK, using one or more attractions that would fit into each location as does Trader Sam's. If one has never been to Trader Sam's, Indy, Jungle Cruise, and the Tiki Room are melded together. The menu of drinks, has references to those attractions, and the food menu that I saw had items that listed "Tastes like chicken" as a critique of the dish.
My post was to say that an area of DTD could be a fun place that PI used to be, and to bring back some of the fun vibes of the Adventurer's Club. My comment about AC being profitable was my personal response to reading that many fans of AC never spent much money once inside. I have no idea if fans of AC did, or did not spend money. And so I wasn't clear that one has to spend money at Trader Sam's to get the full effect.
I am guessing that I also was not clear, but inferred, that Disney does Disney best, and should not outsource to 3rd parties.

Mouse Detective

The Mercado was the shopping center that I was thinking of. It's the future site of I-Walk (if it happens).

This development was just in the news this past week. The developer is trying to get a variance on an ordinance which would allow them to place large fish murals on the side of the aquarium they want to build plus allow a sponsor's logo signs on the sides of the Orlando Eye. The developer says these are key to making the venture profitable.

njDizFan

It is cold there too. I know this for a fact. And yet I have never been. That I remember. o_O
If it's okay that you make observations about attractions that you have never personally seen, then is it okay that someone criticizes a proposed project before it is complete? there has to be a 2 way street.

John

SO many think that an "outside developer" could get this or that.....that Landry's or Darland would be interested....you really think in four years that these companies or any other compnay with that kind of clout hasnt inquired or hasnt been contacted by some type of representative.....really? I am sure as much as we complain there actually is someone that has been working on DTD for these past sop many years. There is something that is fundamentally wrong going on with the place.

I agree with Marni, whatever is going to be at DTD...has to be unique. Batting cages? Lazer tag? yeah, nothing screams Disney like these options. There are multiple such buisness's up and down 192. JT I think you finally fell off your rocker. I am 51 yrs old....I dont do lazer tag and dont do batting cages. Will some one do it if it is there? sure....I do agree there needs to be more food options.

As far as Mars goes?....How does the dust smell? How thick is it? What is the consistence of the dust? Do you enjoy walking through the dust? None of these can be answered unless you have been to Mars. You can tell by a picture dust is present but you cant tell from a picture if you enjoy the dust......not even Pixie dust.

jt04

SO many think that an "outside developer" could get this or that.....that Landry's or Darland would be interested....you really think in four years that these companies or any other compnay with that kind of clout hasnt inquired or hasnt been contacted by some type of representative.....really? I am sure as much as we complain there actually is someone that has been working on DTD for these past sop many years. There is something that is fundamentally wrong going on with the place.

I agree with Marni, whatever is going to be at DTD...has to be unique. Batting cages? Lazer tag? yeah, nothing screams Disney like these options. There are multiple such buisness's up and down 192. JT I think you finally fell off your rocker. I am 51 yrs old....I dont do lazer tag and dont do batting cages. Will some one do it if it is there? sure....I do agree there needs to be more food options.

DTD should be about more than 50 year olds who do not do laser tag. There should be offerings for everyone is the point. Laser tag by Disney has never been done so who knows what they could do with the concept. Why are so many suggestions met with "they should not do that because I don't like that"? How about people learn to think about what others would like first and then about what you would like? I know, that is crazy talk. o_O

Ther are certainly concepts that would not fit into a mixed use 'lifestyly center'. I do not think an indoor laser tag by Disney would be a problem. :cool:

I am convinced more than ever that Disney realized they could not do more until they dealt with the issue of parking. I really believe that became the major logistical issue they have to overcome. I can see where third parties might put this on the top of their list of concerns. I do agree that at almost anytime you can find parking even if you have to work for it. However there is no doubt in my mind it is an issue of increasing concern. Especially before new contracts are signed. I think this explains perfectly why HW was pulled and a bolder design became necessary.
Oh look, I win another thread. :)

lazyboy97o

This development was just in the news this past week. The developer is trying to get a variance on an ordinance which would allow them to place large fish murals on the side of the aquarium they want to build plus allow a sponsor's logo signs on the sides of the Orlando Eye. The developer says these are key to making the venture profitable.
Is it a SEA LIFE aquarium? If so, that's another Merlin Entertainments property.

WDWFREAK53

I agree that go-karts, batting cages, laser tag, etc. would be great additions to WDW, just not at DTD. I imagine they'll go much more upscale with anything they add there. Those things would be amazing additions to ESPN WWoS though! Add a large family bowling center and you'd have a real winner there! That's really an amazing idea!

When you're thinking of Go-Karts, Batting Cages, and Laser Tag, you're thinking of the weekend kid-spots...

Karting has become very "upscale" in some places. We have an F1-Boston and it has a club, restaurant, bars, a few tracks, and a couple of banquet halls. We had our company Christmas party there and it was amazing. The karts are fast (35mph+) and you need a drivers license and can not have been served alcohol prior to racing. It's much like Splitsville...but with karts instead of bowling.

Disney could really do this up right. They could have slower karts during the day for kids, and then break out the fast karts for adults at night. Maybe even have separate different tracks with different experiences (one with longer straightaways, one with a lot of turns, banked corners, etc.) Also, for a "DISNEY" experience, you could add characters and challenges along the tracks or upgrade the karts with a point scoring system.

The sky is the limit with karting. Upscale, downscale, add gaming competition, keep records, put tunnel screens in to add to the theming, go outside/inside. Race along the water's edge like true F1 in Monaco. What a great experience it could be.

raven

Very sorry if this has already been posted but I've lost all stamina to keep up with the reading around here so I'll try to limit my posting to when I have new, legitimate news/rumors. Today it's two pieces of info about DTD.

I've been told that the DTD expansion will include, at the very least, a parking structure and a new on/off ramp directly to/from I-4. The expansion will include various efforts to make DTD the "go-to" entertainment venue for locals.

The budget is estimated to be somewhere in the "New Fantasyland" range.

I'm pretty sure I posted about this exact thing nearly a year ago. But since then the over all plans have been through a lot of changes.

Rasvar

Maybe if Disney would sit down and go a little bit old school and actually design a little bit of its own "Disney Magic" you can have something that can be a draw/anchor for all of the other third parties. People usually don't go to a mall to go to "Spencer Gifts" they are usually going for something else that actually drives the traffic. Disney needs to develop something that will drive traffic. You're not going to do that with a bowling alley, go karts or mini-golf. AMC and Cirque probably drive more traffic than anything but they also pull it in and keep it. You come see the show/movie and then go. They really need something unique. I really think that some kind of immerse Disney dining experience that is not even available in the parks could work but would likely bring protests from the third party locations. So Disney is stuck in a catch-22 by the fact that they have become so beholden to the third parties. IMO, the entire area was healthier when the third party locations were the exception, not the rule.

scpergj

To all the fans of Go carts and Tron Lazer tag fans I have a bet....if these options are built at DTD I will run down MSUSA in my Mickey boxers during wishes.

HA! No way you'll ever do that...no way. Everyone knows there's no way to run down main street even fully clothed during Wishes...Maybe you should do a lap around World Showcase during Illuminations instead!!!:D :p

I kid, I kid.....

John

HA! No way you'll ever do that...no way. Everyone knows there's no way to run down main street even fully clothed during Wishes...Maybe you should do a lap around World Showcase during Illuminations instead!!!:D :p

I kid, I kid.....

LOL....I guess your right. Problem with running a lap aound WS during illominations is no one would probably see me in the dark, or will think I just finshed drinking around the world....I will make this easy, if any of thoe aforementoned entertainment offerings are ever built at DTD I will make my WDWMagic signature read....
"JT04 is WDWMagic"s greatest poster of all time!"

jt04

JT doesn't think you have the cojones to tell us how the plans have changed. I think you should prove him wrong.

I don't think this will trick Raven. You should probably pick a different poster. But if Raven has info to prove me wrong about anything it is fine with me.

scpergj

LOL....I guess your right. Problem with running a lap aound WS during illominations is no one would probably see me in the dark, or will think I just finshed drinking around the world....I will make this easy, if any of thoe aforementoned entertainment offerings are ever built at DTD I will make my WDWMagic signature read....
"JT04 is WDWMagic"s greatest poster of all time!"

Yeah, that should do...might be a bit harsh on your reputation, though...:p

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm pretty sure I posted about this exact thing nearly a year ago. But since then the over all plans have been through a lot of changes.

You did. And still we wait...

Btw, not questioning your knowledge on the subject. I'm sure at the time you posted that it seemed like it was happening.

The level of incompetence being shown at the DTD complex is staggering.

jt04

That ship may have already sailed....LOL The thing is with these types of discussion boards, the degree of annomyity leads to contention and personal attacks. If we all met at the grocery store or out on the street we would all be very cordial and quite the opposite we see here at times. One of the great things about this discussion board is there are people here from all walks of life. We all have one common interest that really shows what broad appeal Disney really has. In actuallity the attacks on here are rather mild in comparison to what goes on around the interwebs. Mom and the rest of the mods do a pretty good job. I do like jt, he is a part of the family., as I like everyone else here. They all have a place in the family.

Nice.

And you can consider me adopted if it helps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom