Major DTD update

Ignohippo

No one ever wants to answer this...not even with hypos.

Still waiting on Zach Divine ;-)

Ding! Ding! Ding! Exactly. I can't imagine there are tenants lined up that are saying "darn! If only you had a parking garage and would double the size of this place, then we'd sign a lease!!"

Orlando, CityWalk and DTD have completely covered the possible tenant list. Who could possibly be still available that doesn't already have a presence in Orlando?

If this were to ever happen, Disney would have to:
(a) have a restaurant company that is ready to open multiple restaurants (certainly a possibility as that was rumored with HW)
(b) have a company that is ready to open multiple clubs (there have been rumors that a company may be interested in re-opening Mannequins and CW)
(c) have a developer in place that can get the place leased to retail (this is the hardest one, but not impossible. Disney has always done these things themselves, but it isn't hard to believe that they could be partnering with a developer that could actually deliver the tenants they need).

Given the history with PI and Flamingo Crossings being undeveloped, it'd be more than likely that all 3 things would have to be in place and the contracts signed before TDO would do anything. Not impossible, but probably more difficult than landing a rover on Mars.

jt04

Ding! Ding! Ding! Exactly. I can't imagine there are tenants lined up that are saying "darn! If only you had a parking garage and would double the size of this place, then we'd sign a lease!!"

Orlando, CityWalk and DTD have completely covered the possible tenant list. Who could possibly be still available that doesn't already have a presence in Orlando?

If this were to ever happen, Disney would have to:
(a) have a restaurant company that is ready to open multiple restaurants (certainly a possibility as that was rumored with HW)
(b) have a company that is ready to open multiple clubs (there have been rumors that a company may be interested in re-opening Mannequins and CW)
(c) have a developer in place that can get the place leased to retail (this is the hardest one, but not impossible. Disney has always done these things themselves, but it isn't hard to believe that they could be partnering with a developer that could actually deliver the tenants they need).

Given the history with PI and Flamingo Crossings being undeveloped, it'd be more than likely that all 3 things would have to be in place and the contracts signed before TDO would do anything. Not impossible, but probably more difficult than landing a rover on Mars.

There are many cusines not available at DTD. Many many options for dining that do not currently exist.

There are also numerous entertainment voids that could be filled. Clubs that specialize in different musical tastes. Comedy clubs. Dinner show possibilities. Many merchandise possibilities that are not currently available at DTD. Seasonal shops. Temporary exhibits and displays. Some sort of 'nightly event' on the water such as a WoC type show. More streetmosphere. Possibly even recreational options such as batting cages, zip lines, obstacle courses (I am seeing this more and more). "Street food" vendors. Sports lounge with billiards/darts etc. Attractions such as a Sky Wheel. Dinner cruise on the lake and waterways. Ice bar. Apple store. Seasonal events such as a Christmas market. Skill games for prizes. DCL sales venue. Waffles.

lazyboy97o

So much that could be done. So much that could have been done. So much that was supposed to be done. And yet, so little. Potential of a retail/entertainment space means nothing if nobody wants to be involved (Which means there really is no potential. The emptiness of Downtown Disney and Flamingo Crossing are not part of being distracted with bigger issues, that is the whole point of local management. It is proof that there is something fundamentally wrong with how Team Disney Orlando is operating these establishments and that very, very, very few wish to partake in the endeavor. Flamingo Crossing is less concerning because it is hidden away and nothing stand. Downtown Disney is open and yet has empty spaces, the cancer of retail/entertainment developments.

invader

I still think a Disney Wax museum would fit perfectly in the Westside. The Iowa State Fair has a Butter Cow every single year, and they usually do something along with it. They did Snow White and the Seven Dwarves this year and it was awesome.

ia%20state%20fair%20228.JPG

lazyboy97o

I still think a Disney Wax museum would fit perfectly in the Westside. The Iowa State Fair has a Butter Cow every single year, and they usually do something along with it. They did Snow White and the Seven Dwarves this year and it was awesome.
Where is the draw in a Disney wax museum? The most popular characters can usually be seen live in one of the parks. Even an animated figure in a small ride is going to do more than a wax figure.

Ignohippo

There are many cusines not available at DTD. Many many options for dining that do not currently exist.

There are also numerous entertainment voids that could be filled. Clubs that specialize in different musical tastes. Comedy clubs. Dinner show possibilities. Many merchandise possibilities that are not currently available at DTD. Seasonal shops. Temporary exhibits and displays. Some sort of 'nightly event' on the water such as a WoC type show. More streetmosphere. Possibly even recreational options such as batting cages, zip lines, obstacle courses (I am seeing this more and more). "Street food" vendors. Sports lounge with billiards/darts etc. Attractions such as a Sky Wheel. Dinner cruise on the lake and waterways. Ice bar. Apple store. Seasonal events such as a Christmas market. Skill games for prizes. DCL sales venue. Waffles.

And the specific major retailers and restaurants that aren't currently in DTD, CityWalk or Orlando would be?

Most everything you've described are side show attractions. Not major tenants that could fill a void in the Orlando market.

Batting cages? C'mon dude.

Ignohippo

Where is the draw in a Disney wax museum? The most popular characters can usually be seen live in one of the parks. Even an animated figure in a small ride is going to do more than a wax figure.

Is Madam Toussad's in Orlando yet? That could be a very strong possibility but I'm not sure TDO would want an outside attraction on their property that could actually take business away from the parks.

lazyboy97o

Is Madam Toussad's in Orlando yet? That could be a very strong possibility but I'm not sure TDO would want an outside attraction on their property that could actually take business away from the parks.
Madam Tussaud's is owned by Merlin Entertainments, same company that owns the Legoland parks. Their parent company is The Blackstone Group, which also owns SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment. Over a year ago it was announced that Merlin was bringing a Madame Tussaud's and an Orlando Eye ferris wheel to the I-Walk development. Universal did not like the name of I-Walk, thinking it too close to CityWalk. I am not sure what has happened since. I was trying to find some more current information, but everything seems to be from about late spring of 2011.

jt04

And the specific major retailers and restaurants that aren't currently in DTD, CityWalk or Orlando would be?

Most everything you've described are side show attractions. Not major tenants that could fill a void in the Orlando market.

Batting cages? C'mon dude.

They have space for all sorts of things. The sentiment you get on here more than anything is people do not want major retailers and outlets they can find just anywhere. Food venues can be done through independent contracts. DTD need more food options. Many more food options.

There is room for a recreation section. Just because you are not interested does not mean others would not be. So yeah, batting cages. And some kind of go-karts. Paint ball would be nice. Laser tag. Citywalk even has miniature golf. It's all good.

invader

There is room for a recreation section. Just because you are not interested does not mean others would not be. So yeah, batting cages. And some kind of go-karts. Paint ball would be nice. Laser tag. Citywalk even has miniature golf. It's all good.

You can find enjoyable laser tag, go-karts, and batting cages all over Orlando. The bad part is that it's just that, all over Orlando. I'm sure if you had a centralized place, like DTD, many locals would flock to it.

Ignohippo

Madam Tussaud's is owned by Merlin Entertainments, same company that owns the Legoland parks. Their parent company is The Blackstone Group, which also owns SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment. Over a year ago it was announced that Merlin was bringing a Madame Tussaud's and an Orlando Eye ferris wheel to the I-Walk development. Universal did not like the name of I-Walk, thinking it too close to CityWalk. I am not sure what has happened since. I was trying to find some more current information, but everything seems to be from about late spring of 2011.

That's right, I forgot that. Thanks for jogging my memory. I-Walk was going on I-Drive where an old outdoor shopping center used to be ( I want to say it had a Spanish name, but I'm too lazy to look it up : D).

I always get the status of the Orlando Eye confused with the two that are going in Las Vegas (one that's being built right now on the south end and the other that's still blue sky on the north).

Hopefully it'll happen soon. Those would both be great additions to I-Drive.

invader

There are many characters that are not in the parks at all that would be perfect for a wax museum. Quasimodo, Roger Rabbit, Oswald, Clarabelle, Thumper, Abu, Scuttle, Yzma, Pegasus, Phil... I could go on.

lazyboy97o

That's right, I forgot that. Thanks for jogging my memory. I-Walk was going on I-Drive where an old outdoor shopping center used to be ( I want to say it had a Spanish name, but I'm too lazy to look it up : D).

I always get the status of the Orlando Eye confused with the two that are going in Las Vegas (one that's being built right now on the south end and the other that's still blue sky on the north).

Hopefully it'll happen soon. Those would both be great additions to I-Drive.
I was looking it up right before you posted because I recalled hearing about a Madame Tussaud's Orlando.

There are many characters that are not in the parks at all that would be perfect for a wax museum. Quasimodo, Roger Rabbit, Oswald, Clarabelle, Thumper, Abu, Scuttle, Yzma, Pegasus, Phil... I could go on.
The whole awe of a wax museum is the lifelike appearance of the human figures (The Vin Diesel by Madame Tussaud's at Universal Studios Hollywood kept bugging me because it looked so real). Unless these characters are redesigned to be lifelike, there is no awe in a wax figure. It's a figurine of a cartoon character made of wax. You can go see them in the stores. Maybe not all the characters you listed, but characters are not attractions, they have no merit to themselves except their current popularity.

Ignohippo

They have space for all sorts of things. The sentiment you get on here more than anything is people do not want major retailers and outlets they can find just anywhere. Food venues can be done through independent contracts. DTD need more food options. Many more food options.

If they're going to add as much as is speculated, they're going to have to go with a good amount of known retailers. Start-ups simply don't have the deep pockets that it would take to lease in someplace like DTD (unless TDO is willing to partner, which is probably the case with Splitsville as well as the new burger place).

I agree that go-karts, batting cages, laser tag, etc. would be great additions to WDW, just not at DTD. I imagine they'll go much more upscale with anything they add there. Those things would be amazing additions to ESPN WWoS though! Add a large family bowling center and you'd have a real winner there! That's really an amazing idea!

lazyboy97o

If they're going to add as much as is speculated, they're going to have to go with a good amount of known retailers. Start-ups simply don't have the deep pockets that it would take to lease in someplace like DTD (unless TDO is willing to partner, which is probably the case with Splitsville as well as the new burger place).
One must wonder, at what point does Team Disney Orlando admit that the asking price for rent is simply too high? If Disney were looking for some really good press, lower rents for small, local businesses would probably be a nice generator. At another time, it could have been argued that this would be a loss as Disney could pull more rent, but they're clearly not getting people biting at what they are offering for lease.

Ignohippo

The Mercado was the shopping center that I was thinking of. It's the future site of I-Walk (if it happens).

Ignohippo

One must wonder, at what point does Team Disney Orlando admit that the asking price for rent is simply too high? If Disney were looking for some really good press, lower rents for small, local businesses would probably be a nice generator. At another time, it could have been argued that this would be a loss as Disney could pull more rent, but they're clearly not getting people biting at what they are offering for lease.

They're already there. Both Splitsville and the new burger joint are local Tampa companies and I'm sure TDO is fronting the construction costs and more than likely only taking a percentage rather than charging a flat rate lease.

It's totally speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see TDO partner or hire an outside developer for this expansion. They need a developer that has the type of connections they need to get the space leased. TDO has obviously shown that they are completely inept at leasing out retail space.

I think sweetheart deals could also be worked out with a company like Landry's or Orlando-based Darden to take a big chunk of the area for flagship restaurants. Couple that with a club owner that's willing to put in a couple clubs and you're 2/3 of the way there. The only component left would be retail, and in a place that has as much traffic as DTD does, an outside developer could probably get that done fairly easily.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

And how many of those would be 3rd party, and how many owned and operated by Disney?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom