Major Announcement on the Way?

CTXRover

If they just confirmed that the Lights were returning this year, it would be enough for me :) It wasn't the same last Christmas without them.

cherrynegra

Oh, sweet Jesus almighty who rose again on Sunday please, please, please, please let it be the return of the Osborne Family Lights Show!!

My second guess would be the rumored Brother Bear raft ride over at Canada in Epcot. But there seems to be some dispute as to whether that's a go or not.

surfsupdon

Of course, all I want, in reiteration, are the triumphant return of the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights, complete with glasses and snow flurries.

MGM stunk, ambiance wise, this past year for Christmas. Glad it hurt their attendance.

imagineer99

Is it just me, or does a clone of grizzly river run in Canada sound stupid?

For one, the sterotypical "raft" rides are probably the dumbest theme park attraction invented. It's not thrilling, and getting miserably soaked is not my idea of a good time. A water hose can give you pretty much the same effect.

I'm getting really tired of cloning. Granted, I am very excited by Soarin' strictly because I would never be able to go to CA to ride it.

However, another lame raft ride just sounds so contrived...so un-disney.

So many wonderful possibilites are open in Epcot. A raft ride seems to be the worst choice to make.

josh_e_washie

Yeah a raft ride in canada sounds a bit too predictable and contrived...I would have hoped for something else with water, like a SM type 'log' attraction but, of course, better! :)

SirNim

Originally posted by josh_e_washie
Yeah a raft ride in canada sounds a bit too predictable and contrived...I would have hoped for something else with water, like a SM type 'log' attraction but, of course, better! :)
How can you top Splash Mountain? :D

Disneyfanman

My whole family would love a raft ride. It's one of the few attractions that we all like to ride. Just not a complete and total "soaker" like Bluto at IOA. That thing is soooooo wet that you can't ride it and enjoy the rest of the park unless you wear a poncho or something.

The raft ride at DCA is terrific. That's just exactly the kind of thing that would put EPCOT at the top of our lists to visit. I bet that an announcement is a ways off though.

My prediction for the announcement:

1) Osbourne Family Lights
2) Disneyland anniversary celebration
3) A new attraction of some sort. (Disney has really been trying to put a positive spin on things lately). I think it will be something in the lagoon in the MK. Too many rumors about it to ignore. And I bet it's going to be someting big.

Think about it New E tickets at MGM, AK, and Epcot. Who is left? (Stitch doesn't count!)

Also time wise.......Stunt show this year, Soarin' next year, EE in 2006, and a new Eticket for the MK in 2007. Makes sense to me.

tomm4004

The raft ride at DCA is terrific.
Again, is it that much different than Kali River Rapids? Aren't they both raft rides? Are they so short of ideas they can't come up with anything new?

It wouldn't just be a clone of DCA but a near clone of AK. For a cheaper version, get two guys to dress up as Bob and Doug McKenzie (the Hosers) and give them garden hoses to get passers-by wet!

I don't believe the rumour. Disney does not build rides in World Showcase. The sponsoring countries do, and I don't see Canada forking over the money. Plus, if they want to disguise Soarin' they can just paint it to look like mountains.

Disneyfanman

The DCA raft ride is a completely different experience. Much longer, more interesting scenery, and a very fun spinning drop at the end. Kali has the worlds best themeing when you wait in line, and then a slightly disappointing (for me) ride experience. It just seems way too short.

We have been to the AK four times in the past few years, and only rode Kali once. We usually ride raft rides over and over.

MagicalMonorail

Originally posted by tomm4004

I don't believe the rumour. Disney does not build rides in World Showcase. The sponsoring countries do, and I don't see Canada forking over the money. Plus, if they want to disguise Soarin' they can just paint it to look like mountains.

Actually I read somewhere that the only government sposored attraction is Morocco. Is this true?

The raft ride has been confirmed by execs so it is a possibility. This includes the mountains, which will be actual structures.

WDWFREAK53

:LOL:

MORE MOUNTAIN ATTRACTIONS! :LOL:

I've said this in another post and maybe Disney execs caught on to it :lol:

Space Mountain (all are hits)
Thunder Mountain (all are hits)
Splash Mountain (all are hits)
Matterhorn (still a hit)
Everest (people are drooling)
Mt. Prometheus (sp). (a hit)
Grizzly Peak (most talked about (aside from Soarin') attraction at DCA)

Most wanted rumors:
Bald Mountain
Villain Mountain
Fire Mountain

Now this... The Rockies :lol:

hoppypooh

Originally posted by tomm4004
I don't believe the rumour. Disney does not build rides in World Showcase. The sponsoring countries do, and I don't see Canada forking over the money. [/B]

Why don't you see Canada forking over the money?

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I definitely see Canada helping out with this. Canada is not exactly a poor nation, and such an attraction would give them quite a bit of publicity, helping their tourism. They have much to gain from such an endeavor, as Canada is one of the few places that many Americans can readily reach if they want to. This attraction would not be obscenely expensive, as it is a near clone, and it is very different than Kali. My only qualm with it is a lack of much story, but they are planning to integrate much storytelling into this version. So I say "Bring on Grizzly Peak!"

It would even be a good way of hiding Soarin'. But...they'd have to do something about the view guests would get while on the ride...no one wants to be looking at the back of Soarin'. It would be pretty easy to build up rock walls to block that, however--they do that on raft rides all the time. I have been hoping Epcot would get a water ride that you actually get wet on for quite some time now. Maelstrom is only getting older, and the addition of another water ride to World Showcase would certainly not shock me, and it would help to further balance off the entire east side of Epcot, which is so off-balanced in terms of E-Tickets. I only wish Disney would do the same thing with Animal Kingdom that they are doing with Epcot--3 E-Tickets in such a small time (Space in 2003, Soarin' in 2005, Grizzly in 2007) span will do wonders for Epcot. And it wouldn't be replacing anything! No complaints at all!

Figment1986

why do everyone think Disney is building a raft ride, why not a water coaster attraction, it would work well. you have the coaster parts and the water flume parts, best of all, this would not be a clone...

I just see some minor details on the 50 years of disney parks/DL50th anniversary tie in announcement. that and the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights...

tomm4004

Why don't you see Canada forking over the money?
They wouldn't put out the money for an updated film. The Canadian government is embroiled in sponsorship scandals and is deeply in debt. I don't think the ride would increase tourism that much.
Actually I read somewhere that the only government sposored attraction is Morocco. Is this true?
All the countries were built and sponsored either by the countries and/or by corporations in those companies. So I think it's up to the country/corporation to build a ride. The reason China got a new movie is because they have a communist government!

Even if Grizzly is different it's still a circular raft ride. I'd like to see something totally different than Kali.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom