Major Announcement on the Way?

tomm4004

And a re-imagineered Grizzly River Run
Could someone please explain the Grizzly ride? Aren't the vehicles just like Kali? Isn't it a whitewater rafting ride like Kali? I'm not saying EPCOT shouldn't get it because DCA has it. I'm saying it shouldn't get it because WDW already has a ride in the same style. Get something else!

I agree with Defend10. I don't see Disney paying for a ride at Canada unless some sponsor wants to pay for it.

imagineer99

Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57

I know most of us would like to see the Indiana Jones Adventure at MGM, so clones are apparently okay in some cases. And a re-imagineered Grizzly River Run would be great for Epcot. As someone else noted, it's one of the few rides that people like at DCA. Granted I loved Cali Adventure, but that's another topic altogether...

Comparing a generic raft ride (that almost every theme park/ amusement park has in the entire world) to the EMV system is pretty unfair. Even though the same technology is used in Dinosaur, the ride experiences are so different and uniques.

As for Kali and Grizzly, both involve you getting uncomfortably soaked, with basically no backstory.

Come on people, can't we do better than this!?:brick:

The opportunity to create an amazing water ride is there! Why settle for a darn raft ride.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I don't understand the logic in saying wdw is not willing to pay money for new attractions when they are currently building Expedition: EVEREST, Soarin', Lights, Motors, Action!, and Stitch, all four of which don't seem to have a sponsor. How could anyone possibly misconstrue Disney as being cheap? That's at least $300,000,000 in additions.

As for comparing Indy to Dinosaur, I I really don't see how it's an unfair comparison. They have the exact same track layout and the exact same ride vehicles--they are even more closely related than Kali and Grizzly, which have completely different track layouts and completely different theming. Furthermore, we have already discussed the fact that the introduction of rides with completely different theming but identical ride systems is by no means unprecedented at Disney parks. Omnimovers? Boat rides like "it's a small world"? Fantasyland dark rides? 3D shows? Roller coasters? Specifically, mine train roller coasters? Stunt Shows? It doesn't seem unlikely at all to me, since Disney clearly seems to feel Epcot is the park that needs the most work right now.

bugsbunny

Since Disney just doesn't seem to "get it", I'm expecting some hyped up crap that really doesn't amount to much.

I mean, let's face it! The stock holders showed that they wanted Eisner out as well as a division between CEO and President. So Eisner steps down from one post and appoints Mitchell, the #2 guy we wanted out as the replacement.

Seeing how the last couple of years have just tanked and the total disconnection of the top management at Disney, I can't see how there could be some super duper new things coming anywhere.

And even if the idea sounds good on paper, it will probably end up as an abomination.:brick:

PLTram

Every country has the exact same size plot of land, and Canada obviously uses theirs to the max already. With a huge river ride out back, there's no way every other country who paid so much to have their equal space would just sit there and smile as Disney paid to make a huge publicity move for another country.

This is the first I've ever heard of foreign governments having a say-so in the attractions at EPCOT. Do the countries pay rent to Disney or does Disney share profits with them? I'm frankly quite surprised and a little skeptical about these alleged arrangements and was wondering if anyone could point me to some official information on the relationship between the Disney organization and the governments of the World Showcase. Perhaps in an annual report?

I had always assumed that EPCOT was a wholly owned piece of Disney property and if they wanted to tear down France and put up a chili dog stand, that would their prerogative.

KevinPage

I enjoyed Grizzy River Run. It is the 1st and only(as far as I know) raft ride with a "straight down" drop, which was neat.

The theming was nice, but this is a raft ride we are talking about.

I'd prefer something over a new raft ride, but it's a new atttraction, so no complaints:)

PaisleyMF

How about a new deal with Pixar, to start. Didn't like Disneyland gave to the other parks around the world a "gift" of some of their rides for the aniversary (that was the case over Soarin') and do a all parks a tie for the 50th to celebrate a bigger time.

TimeTrip

Originally posted by PLTram
This is the first I've ever heard of foreign governments having a say-so in the attractions at EPCOT. Do the countries pay rent to Disney or does Disney share profits with them? I'm frankly quite surprised and a little skeptical about these alleged arrangements and was wondering if anyone could point me to some official information on the relationship between the Disney organization and the governments of the World Showcase. Perhaps in an annual report?

I don't have anything official to show, but I've always assumed that the country's goverment chipped in in some way for the pavilion. I heard a rumor that they wanted to do a scandinavia pavilion, but only Norway wanted to cough up the bucks, so they wound up with a Norway pavilion instead.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Same here - can`t find it, but have read the governments pay for certain parts of their respective pavillions - hence no new ones. Also, the attractions are/were sponsored by corporates (Coca Cola / American Express for The American Adventure, Telecoms Canada for O`Canada etc.) and also the majority of the stores are privatley financed (Pringle in the UK, MitsuKoshi at Japan - who paid for a floorspace extention)

DisneyFan 2000

I don't understand the logic in saying wdw is not willing to pay money for new attractions when they are currently building Expedition: EVEREST, Soarin', Lights, Motors, Action!, and Stitch, all four of which don't seem to have a sponsor. How could anyone possibly misconstrue Disney as being cheap?

Lets put it this way: E:E, GREAT, Soarin: cloned, Stunt Show: clone, Stitch: attraction make over! I see where you're coming from but I for one, would prefer to see ONE amazing in-your-face type of atrraction, which ends up nominated "classic" instead of one great attraction, 2 clones and a rehab. I AM very happy with four new attractions on their way but I'd prefer quality over quantity (sp?). Maybe it's just me, but that is why I feel Disney is still being a little cheap, attraction wise. I'm NOT complaining, only sharing my thoughts on this! I'm still very happy with construction going on! :)

tomm4004

Do the countries pay rent to Disney or does Disney share profits with them?
What I've read is that the country/corporation paid for and runs the pavilions and Disney collects rent and royalties.

I don't have anything official. You'd have to do a web search but there is info about it out there.

Jusjuice

Why does everybody automatically assume it will be a raft exactly like Kali?? There are other kinds out there. (River Ride, like Jurassic Park at IOA, Log Flume, Water Coaster.) I don't really see much of a story put into a round raft ride (like GRR and Kali) because your going by so fast, and you can't see anything. Does the average guest even realize there's some kind of a story on Bluto's Bilgerat Barges over at IOA?? The new canada ride may be a clone of GRR, but how marketable would it be to show a billboard or commercial that looked Exactly like KRR? Whenever you see an Ad for Kali all you see is the boat!

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Well, to each his own, but I don't see building clones as necessarily cheap. After all, if we didn't have clones, we wouldn't have: the entire layout of the Magic Kingdom, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, "it's a small world", Peter Pan's Flight, all the little rides in Fantasyland, Space Mountain, TTC, Astro Orbiter, Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Lights, Motors, Action, Soarin'. I realize some of those are not exact clones, but they are as much clones of each other as our Soarin' is of Soarin' Over California, since we are getting some different show scenes and different theming.

And I think all of these new attractions will be very successful and EVEREST will quickly become viewed as a "classic" as much as the Tower of Terror.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Originally posted by Jusjuice
Why does everybody automatically assume it will be a raft exactly like Kali?? There are other kinds out there. (River Ride, like Jurassic Park at IOA, Log Flume, Water Coaster.) I don't really see much of a story put into a round raft ride (like GRR and Kali) because your going by so fast, and you can't see anything. Does the average guest even realize there's some kind of a story on Bluto's Bilgerat Barges over at IOA?? The new canada ride may be a clone of GRR, but how marketable would it be to show a billboard or commercial that looked Exactly like KRR? Whenever you see an Ad for Kali all you see is the boat!

I believe they would be emphasizing the 120-foot mountain that accompanies the ride more than anything. And Grizzly River Run is quite a bit longer than Kali River Rapids, so there is really more than enough room to tell a story. Disney just needs to be creative, and I know the Imagineers can pull creative off given the funding.

imagineer99

I believe they would be emphasizing the 120-foot mountain that accompanies the ride more than anything. And Grizzly River Run is quite a bit longer than Kali River Rapids, so there is really more than enough room to tell a story. Disney just needs to be creative, and I know the Imagineers can pull creative off given the funding.

I'm sorry but floating down a wet chute just isn't creative. Disney should be about doing things differently. Even the majority of clones coming to WDW right now are at least something you can't find at your average six flags.

cherrynegra

I was under the impression that Grizzly Run would be themed to Brother Bear like Splash mountain. I thought that's what they had planned.

TimeTrip

Originally posted by imagineer99
I'm sorry but floating down a wet chute just isn't creative. Disney should be about doing things differently. Even the majority of clones coming to WDW right now are at least something you can't find at your average six flags.

So..by following your logic... Splash mountain isn't creative. After all, it is just a log flume that you can find at your average six flags.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom