Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

French Quarter

well , soaked tootsies and what not aside...
i am looking forward to checking out the new refurb of pirates

And if everyone just wore crocs to the park, like they are supposed to, wet socks would be a thing of the past. (Unless you wear socks in your crocs, which, while rhyming, would look silly.)

Grumpy1973

A lot cheaper to replace a sign and now say "you may get wet" than to replace the boats (that were just replaced recently).. Can't replace boats again that soon..Takes too much bonus money out of the execs pockets! Board meeting: "The new pirate boats are causing guests to complain because they are getting wet, should we reconsider these new cheap plastic boats we bought?".."Hell no, just have print shop make some new signs for the entrance that says u may get wet! We aren't buying new boats AGAIN, I need new marble floors at my Dubai guest house"

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
How many people were in the boat? How many normal weight people ?

Normal has changed between 1970 and today. Males averaged 166 lbs now average 194. Females once averaged 140, now 164.

So at minimum it's an additional 96 pounds per row of additional weight displacement above the 1970 designed specifications that is in play.

Simple to calculate, you pick a maximum weight you want support and it's exactly the same amount of water you will displace.

Draft height in feet = gross weight/ (length x width x density of liquid it's suppose to float in.. for fresh water it's 62.4 lbs per cubic foot.

The physical channel hasn't changed in width since it was built, so the only variables are the guests weight, the number of boats in the water at once, and the starting depth before guests are added.

DisneyFans4Life

We were there yesterday and had a FP to ride, but it was shut down at the time...I'm assuming it had something to do with what you guys are talking about. What a shame...it's such an awesome ride...I wish they could get it right!

NearTheEars

Normal has changed between 1970 and today. Males averaged 166 lbs now average 194. Females once averaged 140, now 164.

So at minimum it's an additional 96 pounds per row of additional weight displacement above the 1970 designed specifications that is in play.

Simple to calculate, you pick a maximum weight you want support and it's exactly the same amount of water you will displace.

Draft height in feet = gross weight/ (length x width x density of liquid it's suppose to float in.. for fresh water it's 62.4 lbs per cubic foot.

The physical channel hasn't changed in width since it was built, so the only variables are the guests weight, the number of boats in the water at once, and the starting depth before guests are added.

I think the problem with blaming it on the fat people is that these aren't the old 1970s boats.
These are brand new.
I blame whoever designed them.
They clearly failed.

DisneyGentleman

Boats wet today. And running very low - I'm told one was 6 inches from taking water in over the side.
If only this were to make the national press...

Call it "Pirategate" and show some videos of boats taking on water. Make lots of noise that folks are in danger of drowning. Have somebody's grandmother talk about how the experience has affected her heart condition. Lot's of selfies of children crying. Pictures of the weatherman's store-bought smile over images of sinking boats.

Deflategate and the email server have run their course. Time for something new to catch the national eye.

gmajew

I just don't get how one day boats can be taking water and the next they are fine... or better.... For a boat to be 6 inches from taking water in that means we have other issues then just the boat going on...

Bairstow

Normal has changed between 1970 and today. Males averaged 166 lbs now average 194. Females once

The 1970 specs aren't relevant.
The boats only started taking on water in July of 2012 when the new plastic boats replaced the original fiberglass design.

Unless average guest weight has increased significantly in the last three years alone, it's not really a pertinent factor.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Or, perhaps, "Needlessly rude posts attempting to belittle the experiences of people who ha
I'm not saying that it's not a problem, I'm just saying it's all that is discussed in this thread.

ve actually witnessed what is clearly a problem with the current operation of an attraction that ran for many years without such issues."[/QUOT
I just don't get how one day boats can be taking water and the next they are fine... or better.... For a boat to be 6 inches from taking water in that means we have other issues then just the boat going on...

Remember, one persons taking on water is another persons getting splashed.
I don't doubt that the new boats may perform differently than the old ones, and couple that with the new normal as to average persons weight and we may be seeing more people getting wet.
But, like anything that people report on, reports will vary widely.
I obviously would dismiss getting wet on the ride as par for the course and barely think about it.
Another persons day might be ruined by the very event that I would dismiss out of hand.

gmajew

Remember, one persons taking on water is another persons getting splashed.
I don't doubt that the new boats may perform differently than the old ones, and couple that with the new normal as to average persons weight and we may be seeing more people getting wet.
But, like anything that people report on, reports will vary widely.
I obviously would dismiss getting wet on the ride as par for the course and barely think about it.
Another persons day might be ruined by the very event that I would dismiss out of hand.

Can not agree with you more!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom