Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

Monorail_Red_77

I think the boat issue is all about trying to get a new boat on the cheap. Not enough testing being done before putting into use. Then, when it was tested the powers that be said, ahh I think it will be ok. Then called it a day, and here we are.

Brewmaster

At some point we need to stop calling these things boats.
How about we call them sinks, or at the very least sieve. I was on the third row just yesterday and felt the splash from the drop. First two rows were howling about how wet they got on a ride that isn't designed to 'cool you off'. There was also the standing water that sloshes around in the bottom of the vessel that added to the experience.

Luxe

Can we stop talking about fat shaming and the weight of people? It has nothing to do with the POTC refurb. The fact is the boats suck and need to be fixed or changed regardless of the people riding in them.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Can we stop talking about fat shaming and the weight of people? It has nothing to do with the POTC refurb. The fact is the boats suck and need to be fixed or changed regardless of the people riding in them.

The new boats were a result of the weight change and other outstanding engineering concerns. Its not any one factor at work, its a dynamic system that you cannot blame just a single element as the culprit.

If there's a sign out front advising you of the potential for getting splashed, you have sufficient warning. What are you expecting, a body mapped image of the potential areas that how many ounces of water may land where ? If water is an issue, then maybe impregnating your clothing with Ultra-Ever Dry (its a super hydrophobic compound) is the answer. We are talking about an amusement park, not an evening at the Metropolitan Opera.

Bairstow

What are you expecting, a body mapped image of the potential areas that how many ounces of water may land where ? If water is an issue, then maybe impregnating your clothing with Ultra-Ever Dry (its a super hydrophobic compound) is the answer. We are talking about an amusement park, not an evening at the Metropolitan Opera.

I'm expecting the ride to operate as designed.
I'm expecting the ride to operate as it did in 2011.
I'm expecting the ride to operate as it does in Anaheim, Paris, and Tokyo.
This is unreasonable?

Luxe

Personally I don't care if I get wet on POTC but I also understand people who have rode it in the past show up and expect the same or similar experience(not getting wet). The biggest concern for me is the low riding boats taking on water just from moving through the attraction, that's a little unnerving even though I know the water is only shin deep(many people probably think the water is actually 6+ feet deep). I just think we should be focusing on the fact that new boats are needed to fix every problem people are bringing up in this thread!

Cesar R M

The new boats were a result of the weight change and other outstanding engineering concerns. Its not any one factor at work, its a dynamic system that you cannot blame just a single element as the culprit.

If there's a sign out front advising you of the potential for getting splashed, you have sufficient warning. What are you expecting, a body mapped image of the potential areas that how many ounces of water may land where ? If water is an issue, then maybe impregnating your clothing with Ultra-Ever Dry (its a super hydrophobic compound) is the answer. We are talking about an amusement park, not an evening at the Metropolitan Opera.
I partially agree with you.
While I do not think the whole blame is exclusive to the boats. (aka people are indeed fatter.. a lot now are using scooters, and are morbidly obese)
But also the boats are not safe in the blaming game (they were rejected for disneyland, the move was just cost "effective" to save money on defective boats)

Cesar R M

Personally I don't care if I get wet on POTC but I also understand people who have rode it in the past show up and expect the same or similar experience(not getting wet). The biggest concern for me is the low riding boats taking on water just from moving through the attraction, that's a little unnerving even though I know the water is only shin deep(many people probably think the water is actually 6+ feet deep). I just think we should be focusing on the fact that new boats are needed to fix every problem people are bringing up in this thread!
shin deep to who? tall people? small people?
also getting completely soaked up to the shin in an attraction full of mechanical equipment underwater and in a dark environment isnt gonna help the fears.

Luxe

shin deep to who? tall people? small people?
also getting completely soaked up to the shin in an attraction full of mechanical equipment underwater and in a dark environment isnt gonna help the fears.

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but the point was you won't drown if the boat capsizes.

NearTheEars

The heavier average weight of an average American Male or Female vs one from decades ago is a medical fact.
It is not fat shaming.

It's absolute fact, but does no pertain to this problem as these boats are brand new. If this issue had developed with the old fleet it would make sense.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm expecting the ride to operate as designed.
I'm expecting the ride to operate as it did in 2011.
I'm expecting the ride to operate as it does in Anaheim, Paris, and Tokyo.
This is unreasonable?

If all things are equal , then it should. If modifications have been made that render it different than no.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom