Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

note2001

Agreed, they're big, ugly lighting poles. However, to be fair, there is a lot going on in that picture other than just the poles: Scrims, Night of Joy lighting rigs, and even Tink's wire.

I found in person they weren't too bad, or overly large. In fact they seemed small in comparison to the sheer size of the hub and castle. However, they are problematic in pictures, and since everyone takes and looks back on pics for memories allowing them there in their current state was a bad decision. For that reason alone, Disney should consider more aesthetically pleasing poles. If having them there is a necessity, make them look nice, not like something reminiscent of the hometown football field.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Indeed. If they'd have gone just a little further with thought, one of the worlds busiest gathering areas in front of the worlds most photographed building could have been almost perfect.

I took my photo sat on the FP lawn. No tricks no looking for a bad spot.
Yep. I think the frustrating thing is it could all have been avoided. We have to look no further than World Showcase. Standards can't be set and then not met in future projects - it becomes very glaring.

PhilharMagician

Yep. I think the frustrating thing is it could all have been avoided. We have to look no further than World Showcase. Standards can't be set and then not met in future projects - it becomes very glaring.

I am not sure I understand you. Are saying that the MK nighttime show should have been in the round like WS?

PhilharMagician

So with all your behind-the-scenes knowledge, do you think a day could ever come where the lighting poles would be upgraded to be contractable?

There is some sense of that now with the new towers that were added. Also remember they had retractable lighting in the old buildings that were there before the towers to light the castle forecourt..

Those light poles are horrible!

COProgressFan

I am not sure I understand you. Are saying that the MK nighttime show should have been in the round like WS?

I believe he's saying that World Showcase has telescoping lighting rigs that disappear into rocks and landscaping during the day for aesthetic purposes. This standard of avoiding unnecessary ugly infrastructure during the majority of the operating day to improve the "show" was met in 1982, but somehow couldn't be achieved in 2015. It's frustrating.

PhilharMagician

I believe he's saying that World Showcase has telescoping lighting rigs that disappear into rocks and landscaping during the day for aesthetic purposes. This standard of avoiding unnecessary ugly infrastructure during the majority of the operating day to improve the "show" was met in 1982, but somehow couldn't be achieved in 2015. It's frustrating.
Thanks.

Now I understand the frustration and agree wholeheartedly. Well at least they did not put the same light posts in the castle forecourt.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Exactly.

Sonconato

Very very well put @wdwmagic and what I've been trying to say for months. The project was needed. The hub couldn't carry on as it was. But it could and should have been even better than this.
Certainly agree with the need for the improvements and also agree that it could have and should be done better. I totally understand why this was done which I believe is more for the Celebrate the Magic projection show than the Fireworks, but in my opinion, that is very unfortunate. It's a short show at night and we're in Florida...shade is very, very important. I know this has been said before, but the reality is, the hub was near empty when we were there about 3:00 pm because of the intense heat. It was near 100 degrees out and my husband asked one of the CM Photographers that was at the center of the hub, if she thought it would be nice to have some large shade trees. She said (while sweating bullets) that would be wonderful and his reply was..."well, that's what used to be here!" We are not impressed by that projection show so that's why we have heartache over "the improvements". My family and I pretty much walk around the hub to avoid the intense heat. Maybe it will be better in the winter...at least heat wise. I don't think I will ever get over the sea of poles, although some are nice poles, it still looks like the typical streetscape in a city before they do substantial landscaping to attract more pedestrians. It's so unDisney like.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Well...Fantasmic lighting/audio rigs at Disneyland retract straight into the ground. Just an unobtrusive set of panels at ground level. The telescoping light rigs Frontierland and New Orleans square look great most of the day...

So, it's not like they haven't done that before also... Of course, the folks that visit DL would go crazy if the "hub" got this kind of treatment there....

*1023*

Horizons1

You kids always seem to forget money doesn't come pouring into TDO's wallets so these projects could be better. Oh, hey, wait a minute...

MatthewWho13

I was asked to withhold opinion of the lighting poles until I saw them in person.

So:

View attachment 107468

I am totally going to be the Devils Advocate on the light poles...

But first you snapped a photo sitting(don't take this the wrong way ), thats a little misleading, I get it... you hope to sit in FP+ for fireworks .... Unfortunately most guests snap to their feet when fireworks happen so that isn't the proper perspective on these stupid poles

So on to all these other fun points... and not so points...

-Disneyland has very rad lighting rigs for Fantasmic (I drooled over them in January), they also have very rad paid techs that extended and react each one by one before the show. (in Disneyland's hub they have light poles and trees fighting for space, as nostalgic as it is I would take Florida or Tokyo's hub space first)

- World Showcase has more roof lighting rigs (like Main Street) a few hidden rock ones and then some in facades.. so a lot of motorized or pneumatic rigs on top of structures. BUT they are on on top of structures, no guests are near them (unless you let your darn kids on those Canadian rocks)

(not necessarily an issue....) -MK Tunnel system.. basically its a straight shot under the hub after the MO buildings but still there is infrastructure. (Hey jim where's that gas line *boom*)

But Here is the issue... Guests... Every single one of them ( I mean except for the intrepid WDWMAGIC forum members). Each stick (this a term for lighting truss, pretty or not) of these light poles holds about 1/8th of the lighting needed 10 years ago (which is a thumbs up, to the amount of cans and power on each pole) to illuminate a large space. If they were to retract / extend in an area so close to guests (imagine leaning on, getting hurt being a jerk and suing disney for ruining your dreams, life and so on.) there would need to be a tech to do so...

So lets have extra techs, more technical hours, more people that I personally like...................

But wait!

This is Florida, It rains, it pours, the world seems to be ending randomly whenever it feels like it in the afternoon... or morning.... to the point that It gets dark, Rainy, Windy....Scary... and what better thing then to have already available lighting in such a vast space, for show safety....

Which is #1 Safety... Courtesy...Show and so on...

But Yes Disney Watches the weather, So do I..
That means nothing to me living in Florida and if that means I need to have clairvoyance to call in Jimbo in to raise some light pole before the sky opens up, well I better be making better money of my "gift"

So what shall they do.. build bigger structures to hide the poles.... hmmmm

The reasons that a lot of this wasn't ever an issue before ( and trust me it is not, I am a show rigging lighting guy [not for mickey]) is there were trees, and some extra structures in the hub and so on that the lighting was on (also I think it looked worse. Also guests weren't as sue happy and well down right ridiculous, seriously ... The guests themselves make the need for way too much ambient light a thing.)

So what do you do? streamline as much as you can, make more structures to hide it, or to hide lifts to bring it up automagically, the most logical thing is to streamline the design, make it as unobtrusive as possible (not in a tree, not in a building, not in a rock formation on main street). The way it is currently done, takes so many problems out of the equation. As much as I would love a better solution there just isn't one currently, or necessarily at all... until we have LED light equipped drones... and pizza re-hydrators.

So sorry forums folks about the rant, but sometimes its just a matter of perspective, and thought in the process of form, function, design, and well... worst case scenario with the guests the hub is a victim to what is the most logical thing...

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am totally going to be the Devils Advocate on the light poles...

But first you snapped a photo sitting(don't take this the wrong way ), thats a little misleading, I get it... you hope to sit in FP+ for fireworks ....
Okay. Here's one stood up.

image.jpg

So sad and too bad.

DisneyCane

The light poles stand out MUCH more in photos than they do in person. Granted, I don't ever stay to watch Wishes, but during normal viewing of the castle while walking around the MK, I almost have to try to notice them. Our eye/brain combination is able to focus on the castle and pretty much ignore the poles while a photograph (or, more correctly a digital image) shows what is there at equal "weight."

Next Big Thing

Maybe it's just the shadows in the picture, but that concrete looks amazingly dirty!!!
It's really not. It's just probably a mix of the shade in the pic and the coloring used for the concrete. Also, because they used a light color, any concrete that has been poured for a good amount of time now has been severely darkened by the sun (a problem that the red concrete have attached to it).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom