Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Shaman

Not at all. An open plaza makes sense in this instance. The trees are in the forests and jungles of the MK where they are supposed to be.

IMO.

And this was my position, until I witnessed the sea of poles. Particularly the view from Casey's towards the Castle and Tomorrowland.

MissM

I like them, but I think this photo in particular highlights the need for larger trees in the center of the hub to obscure the castle. These new towers really do make the castle's footprint appear larger and I'm afraid it's going to really overwhelm the view at the end of Main Street even more now.

The new towers look great. But yeah, I agree. At least maybe some trees behind the castle? Fire-proof (fake) ones if needed.
Excusing the fact this is the world's worst photoshop job (seriously I know it's bad but I just wanted to toss something together to show my idea!), I totally think there needs to be some trees at least BEHIND the Castle, in between basically the Castle and the turrets so that it blocks out Fantasyland beyond and gives more of an impression of the Castle existing in a woodland setting-slash-defining it better. Giving it a sense of, I don't know, scene? Something. It just needs....more. Like a background or backdrop to be framed against.

nwOlqFkho4NDIecCEvSEwzM8MaVCRjZojUJnuHT7RFN2=s611-no

Placing them more off to the rear sides would prevent problems with Wishes sightlights from the front but still provide a setting. I feel like the Castle is just lost and floating out there now since there's no trees around it anymore. It's just out of place.

dstrawn9889

And this was my position, until I witnessed the sea of poles. Particularly the view from Casey's towards the Castle and Tomorrowland.
that is exactly why they are there, you are not supposed to stop on the outer ring to watch fireworks or the castle shows, the outer ring is for guest flow. now everywhere in the hub(from the viewing areas in) are for standing and gawking, so there is only the themed light poles in that place.

Shaman

that is exactly why they are there, you are not supposed to stop on the outer ring to watch fireworks or the castle shows, the outer ring is for guest flow. now everywhere in the hub(from the viewing areas in) are for standing and gawking, so there is only the themed light poles in that place.

I was standing in one of the Fast Pass grass viewing areas.

PhotoDave219

Excusing the fact this is the world's worst photoshop job (seriously I know it's bad but I just wanted to toss something together to show my idea!), I totally think there needs to be some trees at least BEHIND the Castle, in between basically the Castle and the turrets so that it blocks out Fantasyland beyond and gives more of an impression of the Castle existing in a woodland setting-slash-defining it better. Giving it a sense of, I don't know, scene? Something. It just needs....more. Like a background or backdrop to be framed against.

nwOlqFkho4NDIecCEvSEwzM8MaVCRjZojUJnuHT7RFN2=s611-no

Placing them more off to the rear sides would prevent problems with Wishes sightlights from the front but still provide a setting. I feel like the Castle is just lost and floating out there now since there's no trees around it anymore. It's just out of place.

The words you're looking for are depth and scale. :D

Kman101

I don't consider grass, fake or not, fountains and added seating a concrete wasteland. But I think more trees are needed. There's just something about the FP+ fireworks viewing fake grass/park that's missing and it's trees. Instead of little shrubs they could plant a tree or two. I know it's for 'clear views' but trees are clearly what's missing.

And honestly, the hub needed to be expanded. Did they do it all the right way? No. But it's far from one of the worst things they've done, IMO. Parts of it are really nice. I want to see it *all* done but I like what's there.

Monorail_Red_77

Two More. Not sure what this big green rectangular box was doing there, but it was the first time I had seen it.
View attachment 95695 View attachment 95696 Two more.

Usually, when I have seen these green boxes. They are just covering a large section of concrete walkway that is being refurbished/poured. They did this same thing in main street late last year when they were redoing the concrete around town center plaza by city hall. There they poured new concrete and removed the curbing around that plaza's hub area.

So, in the case of your pics above. They are removing the red concrete and pouring the new sand colored concrete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom