Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Zweiland

I actually prefer the overwhelming view of the castle from the end of Main Street. I know some loved the huge trees down main street and in the Hub that blocked the castle- then, once you get closer, the castle is the entrance to Fantasyland.

But for me, I walk through the gates, I go under the train, I walk by the flag pole- but when I get to the edge of main street, and see that giant castle staring back at me- I say to myself "Finally- I'm here!"

It's just the difference between some liking a park-like atmosphere and some liking the majestic castle being the centerpiece of the park from as soon as you round the corner.

Nothing inherently wrong with either viewpoint- but I, for one, am in the latter.
I think it should be a compromise between the two viewpoints. The trees should complement the castle, not obscure it. They should act as a curtain behind which the castle sits, beckoning guests to travel farther into the park.

You can get that "I'm here!" moment whether there are trees or not, but they have to be used in the right way.

note2001

Since they aren't done yet, I'll reserve my judgement on the entire project, but it seems landscaping has some significant work to do ahead.

We need to keep in mind that trees grow. The new ones they are planting in the planters around the partners statue are small, and genetically designed to stay that way, but they're still not full grown.

Last edited:
Since they aren't done yet, I'll reserve my judgement on the entire project, but it seems landscaping has some significant work to do ahead.

We need to keep in mind that trees grow. The new ones they' are planting in the planters around the partners statue are small, and genetically designed to stay that way, but they're still not full grown.
I've wondered how they even plant trees in those planters? The planters don't appear to be terribly deep. Any updated pics of that area while we're on the topic? Any recent pouring of new concrete?

phi2134

The lack of trees definitely takes away from the majestic essence of the castle and seeing these in pictures makes me feel like there are turrets everywhere , maybe too many.

The lack of trees definitely takes away from the majestic essence of the castle and seeing these in pictures makes me feel like there are turrets everywhere , maybe too many.
I feel the same way about the turrets. I'm fine with everything else about the project because the extra space is needed, but I feel like it's overkill with the turrets. I felt that way about new Fantasyland. Enough with the turrets already, we get it.

gmajew

I am hoping when it is all done the landscaping fits and the area will look great, but 40 foot trees are not coming anytime soon. They may take 20 years to grow again...

SpaceMountain75

Ha! No I really, really, really hate all those light poles in the hub. You look up expecting to see trees and all you see is the light poles everywhere. In fact, one of the reasons more trees are needed is to make all the lights less noticeable.
Okay good, haha! I feel the same way! I just know some people say the same thing with an eye roll emoji and call us out for complaining about "first world problems" (which they are :)).

hpyhnt 1000

I am hoping when it is all done the landscaping fits and the area will look great, but 40 foot trees are not coming anytime soon. They may take 20 years to grow again...

The outer ring paths should look pretty nice in a few years, and should develop a nice canopy. But the center hub area will remain devoid of any shade, though at least it will have nicer railings and flowerbeds.

SpaceMountain75

I'm usually doing the calling out on stuff like that, but the lack of tall trees in the hub is really jarring.
Totally. What kills me are the two giant light poles next to the otherwise pretty fountain areas. Like, was there really no other place in the entire hub you could put those?

jt04

I'm usually doing the calling out on stuff like that, but the lack of tall trees in the hub is really jarring.

Not at all. An open plaza makes sense in this instance. The trees are in the forests and jungles of the MK where they are supposed to be.

IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom