Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

note2001

I wonder if any of the upper management has looked at what's going on here and through for even half a second "Oh, well that's not the way I envisioned it."

MissM

I look forward to seeing the hub again in October to see what they've done. Alas, I'm vastly unimpressed. Its a concrete wasteland.
It's really not terrible. In fact, the little garden FP+ areas are nice and give a bit of a park feel to it. Yes, it's much more expansive and open and yes, it could use some more foliage (especially in the form of trees to anchor the Castle better) but...it really doesn't look or feel like a concrete wasteland. I was pleasantly surprised the first time we saw it with walls down. And I have to say the practicality of being able to get around during parades and such is a dream come true compared to being crushed in a literal herd of unmoving bodies.

It's my hope that when the construction part is done they'll polish it with more plants/trees/shrubs to further enforce the idea of a garden vibe. Large sections are still very much under construction (former rose garden for one) so it's hard to see what the finished product will truly look - and more importantly feel like - at this point. But so far, it's better than I had expected, imo. While New Fantasyland may lack in, well, much of anything to truly do of consequence, it certainly is pretty and my hope is the completed Hub will take on some of that similar aesthetic detail.

more than that, too large an area for a single pour, you have to have room to work it, and the other planter box has not even gotten started with its curbing pours... a month, maybe more, before finish plantings in that SW planter box
I wasn't referring to the entire center plaza hub project. The pouring of the concrete will be done within a couple of weeks (so I shouldn't have said "days" - my bad). I fully expect the planters to take an additional 1-2 weeks after that for planting and installing of railings. Two things to make note of, the footprints of this new concrete appears to be larger than the previous red. Also, when they did the other side, once the concrete was done, they boxed off the planters and opened Partners. This enabled the space to be used for foot traffic at the very least. This is what I expect will happen in this case as well. Also, when they did the previous planters on the other side, the lights and speakers weren't installed until quite late, and this time they're already in (granted it's a small project, but still, it's Disney). So I'll adjust what I said in my previous post, I expect the concrete conversion to be completed within the next 1-2 weeks, at which point I would expect them to open the area and Partners to traffic while they box up and finish the planters (taking another 1-2 weeks to plan the bushes, tree and install rails). Of course, none of us are "in the know" or experts on the matter, so we'll ultimately have to wait and see.

they unboxed them for Spring break... dont see that happening again until the center hub is complete
Again, we'll see. They opened that area and boxed just the planters for spring break because of the increase in traffic to that area (obviously) and because the concrete was done. If the concrete is done by the 4th of July, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same. Having been to MK during the 4th, I have a hard time believing they consider Spring Break to be busier than Independence Day and the ensuing summer crowds. I wouldn't be surprised to see a hard push over the next three weeks to try and get that done. You may be right, that remains to be seen. All I'll say is that I won't be surprised either way based on what we've seen so far, and what's coming with the summer season upon them.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't consider grass, fake or not, fountains and added seating a concrete wasteland. But I think more trees are needed. There's just something about the FP+ fireworks viewing fake grass/park that's missing and it's trees. Instead of little shrubs they could plant a tree or two. I know it's for 'clear views' but trees are clearly what's missing.

And honestly, the hub needed to be expanded. Did they do it all the right way? No. But it's far from one of the worst things they've done, IMO. Parts of it are really nice. I want to see it *all* done but I like what's there.

I think the solution to the tree problem is, retractable trees. ;)

ABQ

Here are a few quick photos I took yesterday with my mobile as we were racing around making the most of our last few hours in the Magic Kingdom!

View attachment 95691
It's been quite some time since we've seen any photos like this one of the edges bordering the mote. Are these pieces of landscaping progressing at all? I've lost touch of how much of this remains to be done as so much of the focus has been on the center of the hub and the towers and turrets.

ABQ

This is interesting..... Apparently the nine-year-old SportsTurf at West Orange High School in Orlando melted and was declared unsafe to play on.

Seems like its the same stuff that Disney put in around the Hub.
Can't say for sure Dave, the article and the multiple other articles it links to never refers to the actual manufacturer. However, it does state that their particular field lasted as long as it was expected to. As you would expect, they are supposed to be replaced after a number of years.

MagicHappens1971

Does anyone know what this is supposed to be? It looks like the old booths that are being replaced by the turrets?
-1.jpg

Goofyernmost

I think it should be a compromise between the two viewpoints. The trees should complement the castle, not obscure it. They should act as a curtain behind which the castle sits, beckoning guests to travel farther into the park.

You can get that "I'm here!" moment whether there are trees or not, but they have to be used in the right way.
With the money that it costs to go there, I surely do not need any beckoning trees to entice me to go beyond Main Street. But, if you like them, fine! However, the new purpose of the castle, mostly to project shows on, are limited by the inclusion of to many big trees. Times change, we all kinda need to go with whats happening today, not what we remember from yesterday.

photomatt

I'm not going to go through 312 pages to see if there is an answer, so I will ask the question here. Does anyone with legitimate access to TDO management know if they will be adding benches to the hub once construction is complete? I hope they are waiting for construction to be completed, but there are no benches in Town Square either, and that concerns me. I really hope they will make a comeback.

roj2323

I'm not going to go through 312 pages to see if there is an answer, so I will ask the question here. Does anyone with legitimate access to TDO management know if they will be adding benches to the hub once construction is complete? I hope they are waiting for construction to be completed, but there are no benches in Town Square either, and that concerns me. I really hope they will make a comeback.
Most of the outer ring has benches being built into the walls. The walls themselves are about 20 inches deep and they are placing the fences at the back of that wall leaving a 16 or so inch deep place to sit. They are quite comfortable considering they are concrete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom