Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

jdmdisney99

You just think it is natural. In reality, all of the vegetation is fake. Disney adds leaves, changes leaf color, makes it appear trees and bushes grow, etc. It's just like the people in CoP... They are not really aging you know, nor are we really traveling in time. Disney is soooo good at making you think it is real. They accidentally revealed this truth with the new hub and the artificial grass - we were not supposed to know that detail!

/sarcasm ;) - yes, I noticed the eye roll. Hopefully you read my comment about "nothing is natural" in context, and you understand I was referring to the fact that none of the vegetation we see today naturally existed pre-Disney. And, hopefully you noticed the smileys and understand that the comment was in jest.
All understood. Just trying to make a point. :)

note2001

What's sad is this type of moment USED to be regular occurrence at WDW, You never knew WHAT it would be just that it would amaze you.
And then along came the internet, people shared their once in a lifetime moments and everyone clamored to have the same.
Disney decided to use this as a marketing tool and offer these special moments as scheduled ones and in some cases up-charge for them.

Who's to blame? No one really. It's just a sign of social media bringing us closer together and companies making full use of it. It does tarnish the magic severely to know what will happen, and then even more so if it doesn't.

*** Disney has the ability to bring back special personalized surprises with the use of the magic band technology, IF they utilize if for such. Ride experiences can be customized (we're seeing a touch of this with Test track, being able to bring back your designs of old). Walkway, resort, even dining experiences can track preferences and display options according to past behavior or project favorite characters in (possibly hidden) locations to interact with us. The mistake would be to have it happen all the time, again killing that magic touch.

Goofywilliam

That's interesting, you can see the line between wet/dry on the bridge.

Aside from a rainforest or a deep sea diving trip, I can't think of a wetter place than Florida to visit. 'You will get Wet" is written into the contract when making plans to go.
Do I want to get wet on the winter days the temperature drops to 40? No thanks, However good design would account for alternate show plans if they don't want to run the sprays for such a reason. This element could still be added to the Magic Kingdom.
I remember hearing when they were programing/testing the show that a river would form flowing down the bridge into the hub. Lucky they got a drain installed pretty quickly.

wogwog

And then along came the internet, people shared their once in a lifetime moments and everyone clamored to have the same.
Disney decided to use this as a marketing tool and offer these special moments as scheduled ones and in some cases up-charge for them.

Who's to blame? No one really. It's just a sign of social media bringing us closer together and companies making full use of it. It does tarnish the magic severely to know what will happen, and then even more so if it doesn't.

*** Disney has the ability to bring back special personalized surprises with the use of the magic band technology, IF they utilize if for such. Ride experiences can be customized (we're seeing a touch of this with Test track, being able to bring back your designs of old). Walkway, resort, even dining experiences can track preferences and display options according to past behavior or project favorite characters in (possibly hidden) locations to interact with us. The mistake would be to have it happen all the time, again killing that magic touch.
A lot of guests will be happy when the rubber bracelet opens the room door on every try and does not lose reservations, photos or ride passes for the entire visit. I am local and have a lot of visiting friends that stay on property. One family out of about seven or so in recent memory did not have any issues. I asked all of them to track issues. Get the promised basics working then hope for "magic". This fiasco was not and is not ready for the guests.

xstech25

Closing down the Hub... why that would require months of prep work on the east and west side paths to allow for more efficient access to Adventureland and Tomorrowland... which is exactly what happened before the start of the Hub refurb.

They didn't need to close down the paths at the Hub or through it... they just needed to be willing to stop giving people reasons to congregate there in the form of parades, fireworks and Castle shows. The argument is that it was because of this disruption to essential MK entertainment, they couldn't work during "show" hours. The main reasons for the slow progress is simply financial; but, let's play along with the "what if" concept of: Closing the Hub (including its paths) and rerouting traffic.

One could argue that the Hub is such an essential artery that you really couldn't bypass it effectively - much like Main Street USA (we will ignore the bypass being built there... btw, how's that project coming along?).

Well, if the main artery blockage is the salient discussion point... let's use history as our guide to what is possible.

Remember when DCA needed its make over?

One of it's cornerstones of its make over was Buena Vista Street. You know what they did when it was time to route ALL traffic in and out of DCA and they needed to close the actual street? They rerouted ALL traffic via a bypass behind Soarin' over California.

6797204143_a8fcbbbd03.jpg

6797204359_7f5c23e257.jpg

You know how long they were willing to live with this "pain" and the temporary bypass? 8 months. Far less than our current Hub refurb; but, it allowed their project to be done quicker.

Buena Vista Street's remodel was significantly more complex than the Hub.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

There is no will to do anything as quickly as possible. If there was, they would fund it. Had the project at MK gotten the funding to give it the will, they would've been able to get it done during the "off season" in Orlando and stopped the Castle shows and parades. They could've kept doing fireworks.

Disneyland currently is showing the lesser Fantasy in the Sky because they can't use the launch points for Remember as they are prepping for Disneyland Forever.

Again... there is a way if they were willing.

If you are willing enough to accept the time it takes for WDW to do something as trivial as the Hub refurb, then you will be willing to settle for a resort that won't address and fix the issues that are at the heart of its problems. We can't continue to rely on a view of Cinderella Castle as the Golden Goose that brings guests to the resort. If we do, we will be revisiting the Hub refurb again and again. More and more space will need to be created to cram people into look at it.

Get ready for the day of FP+ reservations to take a gander at the Castle.

Your return time to take a look is from 3:10 - 3:15 PM. That is if you were lucky enough to reserve a spot 60 days out.

Yeah, if Universal had to install and configure any AAs on site, it would've slowed them down a week or two. Of course, during that extra week or so, MK could've gotten another few trees removed and a couple light fixtures up.

I wonder what Universal would've done differently with the Hub refurb's Castle turret/lighting towers?

They surely wouldn't have had them prebuilt at Nassal and just shipped them over and assembled them. That's crazy talk.
To do that to Main Street USA would be ridiculous, disappoint a ton of people everyday, and its totally unnecessary. Nobody cared about Sunshine Plaza. If they did something like that in a different area of the park or another WDW park it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but definitely not Main Street.

wdrive

To do that to Main Street USA would be ridiculous, disappoint a ton of people everyday, and its totally unnecessary. Nobody cared about Sunshine Plaza.

I agree, it would be ridiculous to close down Main Street to work on the hub. I don't know why anyone would ever do that. Closing down the hub to work on the hub though, that's an idea.

Horizons1

To do that to Main Street USA would be ridiculous, disappoint a ton of people everyday, and its totally unnecessary. Nobody cared about Sunshine Plaza. If they did something like that in a different area of the park or another WDW park it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but definitely not Main Street.
I love this arguement that Disney can't do certain things because it'll disappoint the guests. Tough. Things need to close and be repaired. You can't always have what you want. If you're like all the other suckers that flock to the place, you'll come back. It doesn't matter if you were disappointed the last time you were there or not. You'll always come back...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
All MK really needs is to synch the projectors to the fireworks and add in some lasers and synchro lights and we'd have a new show.

And it'd be like Tokyo's Once Upon A Time.

And that would be excellent.

Takes Imagination something which TWDC lacks these days, I think more creativity exists in say the top 100 posters here than the entire TWDC these days. And that's just sad.

ToTBellHop

All MK really needs is to synch the projectors to the fireworks and add in some lasers and synchro lights and we'd have a new show.

And it'd be like Tokyo's Once Upon A Time.

And that would be excellent.
Are you okay with significantly fewer fireworks?

In a year we will have three nighttime fountain shows (one which has a lot of fireworks, too). Do we need a fourth? Everyone goes crazy for World of Color, but at the end of the day, it was built for very specific reasons: disneyland needed DCA to take some of its nighttime burden and DL is highly restricted in fireworks. DCA has no reasonable site for firework viewing and smoke from low level pyro is overwhelming. So guests get drenched, instead. There is no need for any of this at MK. Go with lasers, synchrolites, and fire effects added to a timeless, traditional MK firework show from a writer who owns a thesaurus. "Wish" has synonyms!

matt9112

In a year we will have three nighttime fountain shows (one which has a lot of fireworks, too). Do we need a fourth? Everyone goes crazy for World of Color, but at the end of the day, it was built for very specific reasons: disneyland needed DCA to take some of its nighttime burden and DL is highly restricted in fireworks. DCA has no reasonable site for firework viewing and smoke from low level pyro is overwhelming. So guests get drenched, instead. There is no need for any of this at MK. Go with lasers, synchrolites, and fire effects added to a timeless, traditional MK firework show from a writer who owns a thesaurus. "Wish" has synonyms!

so in a nutshell CA is one of the worst states in the union and should be cut loose? =P

matt9112

Not the intent I'm sure... However, also not an altogether bad idea. Nature is probably going to take care of that before too long anyway. ;)

the Californian status quo is like a cancer to this great nation...not that everything in California is bad or that there aren't millions of great people there but the policy's that come out of that state are far too dangerous.

gmajew

Takes Imagination something which TWDC lacks these days, I think more creativity exists in say the top 100 posters here than the entire TWDC these days. And that's just sad.

You know I am not a fairy duster but the negativity is getting really old. Imagination lacking is just not a true statement.

The work being done on infrastructure at MK is a must. No way around it it had to be done, to keep the park moving and functioning for years to come. Main Street needed the love it ain't sexy work but it is needed work and every building they have touched looks awesome!

The hub we all would like more trees and benches we get it but the work for what the park is for what people want to see had to be done and fixed.

Disney cannot increase capacity in this park or add another big ticket ride with out fixing these issues first.

Not sexy but had to be done. Does that mean we get one in the next 5 years no but the groundwork had to be done.

And no imagination.... I am sorry but cars land the amazing inside of beast castle those are incredible projects that showed imagination. Anyone that says the restaurant is not incredible is full of it. The place is awesomely done.

The outside of little mermaid is again very well done.

So please rip Disney we all do they need it but not everything they are doing is bad and if you look at big picture the work they are doing to fix years of neglect in this park is awesome! I am thrilled they are finally doing it.

Should it have gotten this bad no way but they are fixing mistakes and for that I am happy for a change.

Jose

You know I am not a fairy duster but the negativity is getting really old. Imagination lacking is just not a true statement.

The work being done on infrastructure at MK is a must. No way around it it had to be done, to keep the park moving and functioning for years to come. Main Street needed the love it ain't sexy work but it is needed work and every building they have touched looks awesome!

The hub we all would like more trees and benches we get it but the work for what the park is for what people want to see had to be done and fixed.

Disney cannot increase capacity in this park or add another big ticket ride with out fixing these issues first.

Not sexy but had to be done. Does that mean we get one in the next 5 years no but the groundwork had to be done.

And no imagination.... I am sorry but cars land the amazing inside of beast castle those are incredible projects that showed imagination. Anyone that says the restaurant is not incredible is full of it. The place is awesomely done.

The outside of little mermaid is again very well done.

So please rip Disney we all do they need it but not everything they are doing is bad and if you look at big picture the work they are doing to fix years of neglect in this park is awesome! I am thrilled they are finally doing it.

Should it have gotten this bad no way but they are fixing mistakes and for that I am happy for a change.
THIS

Sage of Time

Oh, totally agreed. A new MK show with all new tech should NEVER cut down on the level of pyro used.

ToTBellHop

Oh, totally agreed. A new MK show with all new tech should NEVER cut down on the level of pyro used.
And yet, water screens inevitably would lead to this. If you can see Elsa on water, why would you be looking above for pyro, anyway? I am sure Rivers of Light will feature extensive time where nothing is happening other than Simba appearing on mist. But, a firework-heavy show makes little sense at DAK. I remember their NYE fireworks back in the late 90s. Blech! I've seen better in a backyard on Independence Day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom