Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

MUTZIE77

And here's one more from @SpotMickey that shows the removed trees by Liberty Square bridge:View attachment 89371
Hopefully they plan on actually using this space and not just removing trees for the fun of ticking off Disney fans.
Anyone have any before photos of this area? I've taken pictures of the castle from the LS bridge many times, but I cant remember what it used to look like.

SpaceMountain75

Anyone have any before photos of this area? I've taken pictures of the castle from the LS bridge many times, but I cant remember what it used to look like.
I took these last September:
DSCN4566.JPG

DSCN4568.JPG

PhotoDave219

And here's one more from @SpotMickey that shows the removed trees by Liberty Square bridge:View attachment 89371
Hopefully they plan on actually using this space and not just removing trees for the fun of ticking off Disney fans.

Oh For Crying out loud.

Really?
Really really?

Those trees survived Charlie. Jean. Francis. And 40+ years only to be killed..... for what, exactly?!

SpaceMountain75

Oh For Crying out loud.

Really?
Really really?

Those trees survived Charlie. Jean. Francis. And 40+ years only to be killed..... for what, exactly?!
The only thing that I use to keep myself calm is maybe they'll use that spot for a future nighttime show (which I know deep down probably won't happen) or they're going to replant them after the hub project is done for some reason.

note2001

Oh For Crying out loud.

Really?
Really really?

The new printer for the schedules and guides might know.
Curious- do they actually chop these trees down or do they dig them up and transplant them to a holding area (like that pic earlier w/ all the trees)
Disney has a tree farm on property. I'd point it out via google maps, but forget exactly where it is. Rumor is they also have a backup liberty tree growing there. They do try to save most trees as they are expensive. However, in the case of the ones by the castle that have been pointed out recently, I fear those were chopped down due to location and difficulty in removing otherwise.

Sage of Time

Disney has a tree farm on property. I'd point it out via google maps, but forget exactly where it is. Rumor is they also have a backup liberty tree growing there. They do try to save most trees as they are expensive. However, in the case of the ones by the castle that have been pointed out recently, I fear those were chopped down due to location and difficulty in removing otherwise.
A backup Liberty Tree?! Goodness.

PhotoDave219

I've been by it a bunch. Near DAK, off Bear Island Rd.

JediMasterMatt

Oh For Crying out loud.

Really?
Really really?

Actually, the path on the west side of the Castle to Fantasyland lost its trees at some point prior to my visit the last week in January. I'm surprised nobody's noticed until now. Actually, I didn't notice until the 2nd day of my visit. Why? Those are good questions indeed. It does allow for some better photo ops... when you can get access to the path (see below)

The only thing that I use to keep myself calm is maybe they'll use that spot for a future nighttime show (which I know deep down probably won't happen) or they're going to replant them after the hub project is done for some reason.

This path is closed during the ramp up to and after Wishes, so it's out of commission during the fireworks and the projection show, so that rules out the "they did it for a nighttime spectacular" option/excuse. This path is directly under the fallout zone from the Fantasyland launch points.

Don't forget that Soarin' and the whole condor flats area is closed at DCA currently so builing will be quick and easy, they could even get into the area during daytime. MK often may only have 5-6 hours at night where the crews can gain access to construction areas.

This explanation of why it's taking so long to complete this project is a complete and utter fallacy.

Why can't WDW close down the area under construction at the Hub and work just like DCA, just like DL, just like AK, and just like every other Disney Park around the world?

The reasons being offered are nothing more than excuses...

For every excuse of not wanting to put access to the Castle or it's precious entertainment offerings offline there is the reality of the same thing being done at every other castle park around the world. When work needs done, they bite the bullet and put up walls and scrims and get the work done. This is not true at the MK. The mandate is keep it's "draw" open.

The reality is that we're well beyond the point where WDW is really MK and Friends.

MK has become so crucial to the health of the overall resort that they can't pull a Condor Flats and simply close off the Hub and knock the work out in a timely manner. The Hub refurb could've been done within a couple of months. TDO has no faith in the rest of the resort to hold a captive audience.

So, we live in an alternate universe where concrete, fake grass, and tree reshuffling have lasted a year and a half. During that time 25 million guests have experienced an ugly construction zone at the heart of MK.

If the examples below are acceptable elsewhere, then why not at MK? Construction should be like ripping a Band-aid off... do it fast and ease the pain.

B9BpiFiIUAEQc_C.jpg

fancicx06.jpg

Oh and if you would like to argue that the above look bad... those examples went up and came down less time than the Hub refurb has taken.

Last edited:

Monorail_Red_77

Don't forget that Soarin' and the whole condor flats area is closed at DCA currently so building will be quick and easy, they could even get into the area during daytime. MK often may only have 5-6 hours at night where the crews can gain access to construction areas.

5-6 hours at MK is still enough time to cut down some more trees. :cry: :facepalm: :jawdrop:

Hey Frank, fire up that wood chipper. Let's make it rain up in here. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom