Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

I don't believe they are completely done with that area and the concrete is not all the same color. So I'd imagine that they box it up again. We'll see I guess.

wogwog

If you look at #4794 above and look beyond the closest fencing you will see the areas in front of the castle on the right and left are already boxed up. The nearest fencing is where the defective railings were removed. As far as the statue being boxed again I would say probably. It was boxed for the work on the "top half" of the inner hub and the bottom half has nearly as much work to do when they decide to return to the concrete work again.

Disney Analyst

I do not believe it will be boxed up again. It was boxed up as they were working directly on it. They dug up the flower bed, re poured and re did the concrete foundation surrounding the bed... That is all done now.

DisneyDreamer08

So I've been following this post for a while now and I apologize if I missed something, but does anyone have any before and after type pics? I'm having trouble remembering what the fake grass area looked like before. Thanks for any help!

Clamman73

So I've been following this post for a while now and I apologize if I missed something, but does anyone have any before and after type pics? I'm having trouble remembering what the fake grass area looked like before. Thanks for any help!
The new "grass" areas are pretty much where the water was on either side of the bridge from main street to the hub.

Doug1985

Just browsed through the last few pages of posts (complaints). I'm no engineer or anything, but I do have common sense. It tells me more trees, especially ones that are 20 ft tall and 20 ft wide, would hinder the viewing area of the fireworks. I know you're all going to jump on me and say it's too hot, there's plenty of space blah blah blah, but isn't the point of the hub re-development to relieve some congestion and issues with people moving around? If you put a bunch of trees around the hub, no one is going to want to sit behind them which will crowd other areas and leaving everyone complaining yet again. I can hear it now "why would they put a tree there" and "who's stupid idea was this". If you want trees and shade, there is a whole island full of them at Tom sawyer island. You could even go walk through a tree house...

Rob562

Here's new(ish) aerials that are a month old.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...he-magic-kingdom.880663/page-150#post-6535100

The waterway in that area isn't refilled yet, but you can make out the different areas and where the grass will go. Compare those to Google Earth or an old park map.

-Rob

Victor Kelly

Outer ring can do with trees, where the inner ring can be open. The whole area was opened up as much for show viewing as for congestion relief. But, BUT, Anytime there will be a show there will be congestion from the nitwits who have to stop and gawk in the middle of the walkways with their double or triple wide strollers, or their group of 20 texting each other on their phones while they stand next to each other.

As for the hub itself, it was hot standing there on a 50 degree day in full sunlight. And standing there for an hour at that for the 3:00 parade which didnt get there for 30 minutes. So really the 3:30 parade:p.

Anyway, the old central hub would have provided plenty of shade. Seating, not so much, especially around the old planters that were 4 feet high or higher.

Otamin

Just browsed through the last few pages of posts (complaints). I'm no engineer or anything, but I do have common sense. It tells me more trees, especially ones that are 20 ft tall and 20 ft wide, would hinder the viewing area of the fireworks. I know you're all going to jump on me and say it's too hot, there's plenty of space blah blah blah, but isn't the point of the hub re-development to relieve some congestion and issues with people moving around? If you put a bunch of trees around the hub, no one is going to want to sit behind them which will crowd other areas and leaving everyone complaining yet again. I can hear it now "why would they put a tree there" and "who's stupid idea was this". If you want trees and shade, there is a whole island full of them at Tom sawyer island. You could even go walk through a tree house...
Large trees weren't a problem in the past, nor are they a problem at Disneyland.

DisneyDreamer08

Thank you Rob & Clamman! I keep comparing to new park map to google maps- it's just hard to picture. Can't wait to see it in person, just have no idea when that will be :)

Rescue Ranger

Hopefully when I'm there mid-end of April, Walt & Disney are not boxed up again. I love seeing that statue! I tried to arrange my trip at a time where construction walls would be as minimal as possible in the current work state of the entire resort.

rreading

Large trees weren't a problem in the past, nor are they a problem at Disneyland.

I suppose not, but I have been there in a spot that looked good until I realized that I couldn't see the sky. Guess it was mostly my fault, but still...

I actually tend to agree with Doug. In the ideal world, WDW and the castle would look like they used to, with trees making the castle look like it's in a forest beyond main st...but with the volume of people there, what can they do?

Well, they could charge $300/day and then it wouldn't be SO crowded, but we wouldn't like that either

Otamin

I suppose not, but I have been there in a spot that looked good until I realized that I couldn't see the sky. Guess it was mostly my fault, but still...

I actually tend to agree with Doug. In the ideal world, WDW and the castle would look like they used to, with trees making the castle look like it's in a forest beyond main st...but with the volume of people there, what can they do?

Well, they could charge $300/day and then it wouldn't be SO crowded, but we wouldn't like that either
The trees don't have to be as big as they once were, but I do feel it would help artistically if they were a fair bit bigger than they have been since 2006 (?).

The castle needs to be framed better, especially from Main Street, U.S.A.

Currently:

1ujSxCP.jpg

What I'd propose (excuse my very quick Photoshop):

Cxf8Uww.jpg

SpaceMountain75

The trees don't have to be as big as they once were, but I do feel it would help artistically if they were a fair bit bigger than they have been since 2006 (?).

The castle needs to be framed better, especially from Main Street.

As it is and will continue to look:

1ujSxCP.jpg

Cxf8Uww.jpg
Ugh, that looks so good! Why don't just do this?

Brian

The castle needs to be framed better, especially from Main Street, U.S.A.

Cxf8Uww.jpg

But but... I wouldn't be able to see stranger's faces projected on the castle before the fireworks!! :cry:

180º

Mostly because Disneyland Photopass takes pictures that are leaps and bounds better than WDW Photopass. I'm not kidding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom