Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

devoy1701

How big are we talking? Because at the moment they're quite frankly pathetic in size.

I was hoping the horizon from Main Street was going to look a slight bit better, but apparently not.

Aside from the trees the new central hub looks decent enough.
If someone could get me a better picture of the tree I could tell you for sure. At first glance it looks like a Chickasaw Plum (Florida Sand Plum) tree which can grow about 20ft tall and equally as wide...though it MIGHT be a Florida Dogwood which gets even bigger. I need to see a close up of the leaves (or just go see it in person).

This is what I think they are (WOW THIS PICTURE IS BIG):

ChickasawPlum.JPG

Sage of Time

If someone could get me a better picture of the tree I could tell you for sure. At first glance it looks like a Chickasaw Plum (Florida Sand Plum) tree which can grow about 20ft tall and equally as wide...though it MIGHT be a Florida Dogwood which gets even bigger. I need to see a close up of the leaves (or just go see it in person).

This is what I think they are (WOW THIS PICTURE IS BIG):

ChickasawPlum.JPG
Plant about 30 more and we're good to go. :D

TomP

Saw the new hub today.

I want trees. So badly. There are some but not tall shade trees and that would be SO appreciated. It was hot today. Very hot.

But other than that, I love the new hub. I think they've done a great job with it. The landscaping is beautiful, the fountains are very much a welcome sight, and the seating around the planters is much appreciated.

I loved the open park feeling (minus the REAL trees) and I think it's great you can actually enjoy the hub again. Relax, walk around. People were relaxing in the grass.

Oh, the grass. It felt pretty natural. Looks very nice. All of it was clean, too ;) And I didn't burn myself touching it ;)

The partners area was well done, IMO. It is quite open. I don't like how people can easily sit around it now. I had to wedge between people to take a photo but maybe the railing will go back on soon. It needs to.

I like that the area is much more open, but I desperately want SHADE. Did I mention it was a little warm today? And crowded. Very crowded. But not the new hub areas. You can walk around in peace, and enjoy it.

Believe me, the open spaces WILL be welcome. I walked into the park at 2:50 before the parade started and the new walkways were a blessing. I'll try to get a few pics up.

And before anyone tells me they added trees, yes, the did. They're nice. I took some pictures, but it's still a concrete jungle. Overall though, the new hub is very well done. A shame so many have already made up their minds about it.
These are now available at all on-property gift shops.
umbrella hat.jpg

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Over time (if the new trees are allowed to grow in) the new outer ring path should begin to somewhat resemble the shady, tree lined beauty of the old Hub. The seating areas and paths next to Casey's and The Plaza should also become decently shady in the coming years.

Unfortunately, the bulk of the area, especially the main circle containing the Partners statue, will continue to be a hot, concrete hard scape with no shade or seating. At least what little greenery there is will look nicer.
Keep in mind, some of us travel to Florida FOR the heat and sun.

Our past three trips have been in mid-October to mid-November. Too cold for me. Every single photo last year shows us wearing jackets and hoodies. Sometimes both at the same time.

Going forward, we are returning to our traditional time of end-August - mid-September. Hurricanes and mid-afternoon downpours be darned! I need sun. I need 90 degrees. And I need them to turn up the temps in the restaurants! Brrrrrrr!

There are plenty of places to get out of the sun if needs be.
And now there is a bright, sunny open area, in which to lie down on the "grass", take off your shoes, and soak up some Vitamin D for a few minutes. I can't wait to do this in September!

Sage of Time

Our past three trips have been in mid-October to mid-November. Too cold for me. Every single photo last year shows us wearing jackets and hoodies. Sometimes both at the same time.

Going forward, we are returning to our traditional time of end-August - mid-September. Hurricanes and mid-afternoon downpours be darned! I need sun. I need 90 degrees. And I need them to turn up the temps in the restaurants! Brrrrrrr!

And now there is a bright, sunny open area, in which to lie down on the "grass", take off your shoes, and soak up some Vitamin D for a few minutes. I can't wait to do this in September!
I was just in WDW last week and it was cold one day, warm the next. The AC was off in a few queues and restaurants.

Honestly? It's nasty. There's a real terrible humid smell when they leave the AC off, and temperature aside... the AC should be on and dehumidifying the air.

Sorry to pick out that little bit of your post a go off topic, but pet peeve... Disney can certainly leave the AC on.

devoy1701

The treeless hub ruins the ambiance.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

I would suspect that you're in the absolute tiniest of minorities on that one. I'd say the vast majority of people who travel to Orlando "for the weather" are people from northern places trying to escape the winter. Pretty sure a poll of guests at WDW in August asking if the weather was "too hot," "too cool," or "just right" would be something like 1,088,485,109,409 to 0 to 3.

fngoofy

When this project was first announced I wasn't happy. The plans gave me serious concern for the hub's character. Sure, it's can be a nightmare at times, but it was still a picture postcard area for the most part and for me, the heart of the MK.

Then the photos of the construction started appearing; the little details that showed up were looking great (same as the work in DD/DS) and I started to get hope that my initial reaction was premature. Now, thanks to this, I've gone back around again. That renders looks horrible - it's a vast space of emptiness that destroys the previous intimacy of the area.

Poster please.

Goofnut1980

wait, why did they remove the new-just-installed railings in the hub? What was wrong with them?

And why haven't they done the other half of the hubs planters yet? odd!

Also, we need a new fly over picture :)

Cesar R M

I would suspect that you're in the absolute tiniest of minorities on that one. I'd say the vast majority of people who travel to Orlando "for the weather" are people from northern places trying to escape the winter. Pretty sure a poll of guests at WDW in August asking if the weather was "too hot," "too cool," or "just right" would be something like 1,088,485,109,409 to 0 to 3.
in february.. it was definitively too cold for me.
for many people who was there.. who where shivering in the mornings.. as well.
so id put the counter in the 50's :p

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Much like the stage in Tomorrowland, this tacky and awful thing has got to go. I can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea. Where they have the poles holding it up they could, you know, plant a tree or something ... I also want the stage gone in front of the fountain ... I wish I were in charge ...

Commentary on the future. In the future, there will be no trees...

Rescue Ranger

Is it true the Partners Statue and some surrounding areas will be boxed up and hoarded again after spring break? I hope not. Do not see why boxing up Walt & Disney again would be necessary, with all of the existing work that has already been done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom