Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

Mickey_777

So is the location in DCA a full fledged Starbucks or a "proudly brew"? I'm wondering if I can use my Starbucks rewards in the MK.

It's a full fledged Starbucks and if I'm not mistaken the employees are not castmembers but Starbucks employees in full costume. I'm almost certain you could use a gift/reward card there even if it's just for Starbucks products. The DCA location (to my surprise) is literally a Starbucks that offers 4 "Disney" sandwiches and maybe two soups. The "Fidler Fifer & Practical Cafe" sign outside, theming, and minimal Disney offerings on the menu are the only things that seperated it from being a straight up Starbucks. I don't expect for this to be the case with the MS bakery though. I expect the bakery to continue to be a true bakery with a nice Starbucks behind the counter or to the right. The smell in there will be dreamy

TinkerBell9988

But you see, you get more for your money with the soda. Plus, you can't take the regular drinks on rides, but you can keep the bottles. Also, the Starbucks products will probably cost more in Disney than elsewhere. Ya know, because that's just how Disney operates. A bottles soda was (I think) $4.50. Those starbucks products will probably run more like $6-$8 a piece, depending on the drink. Plus, I'm a My Coke Rewards member, so I can enter the codes and it pays back a little.
Also, I can't stand the smell of coffee. Walking into a Starbucks literally makes me gag. I'm just really anti-Starbucks. I feel like the money people spend there on a daily basis is ridiculous.
In the summer, because my family spends so much time at the pool, we get the refillable mugs. This cuts down on the cost, and I'll usually refill it on my way out to the parks. We get the two liter soda and keep it back at the room as well to help with the cost. At the water parks, we get the refill sticker.

The Starbucks items in DCA are priced the same as any other Starbucks in the LA area. Your estimation of $6-$8 a piece is way off.

StarWarsGirl

Not being snarky or rude, just curious. If you have no idea about the vast array of coffee-based beverages, all the differences and preparations, etc. then why do you wage such discontent against them in general? I mean, that would be like me proclaiming that I totally hate something that I never really took the time or made the effort to understand and try. Wouldn't I have needed to give whatever the thing is a fair shake before proclaiming it awful and a company who sells said product abhorrent? I've read the last 3 pages of this thread and your comments all feel like they come from a place where you don't really know the Starbucks product, you've not enjoyed coffee in the past, thus this addition to the MK as well as Starbucks are the scourge of the earth. But you know, coffee is not like Coke. What you taste can vary so much in so many ways. Preparation, type of beverages, add-ins, etc. Really its a matter of knowing what your tastes are and translating them. And even in the world of coffee drinkers, every person who likes coffee will not like every coffee based beverage. I love coffee and there's all sorts of things that are coffee based that I don't like. To say Disney's offerings are superior anyway is absolutely not true. Even Disney's current little coffee spots and stands have never offered the variations and options that a good coffee shop offers. They offered enough I could order a (yes!) $4+ coffee and get by but it wasn't what I'd typically order. They simply didn't have what I like. In the past, when I've ordered at the Disney coffee stands or spots what I paid for the size and quality of what I got was not the same as going to a Starbucks or PJs. What I got was less quality, less add-in options, for less quantity at a similar or higher price. Tell me, how is Starbucks such an awful thing? They're going to offer more variety of coffee beverage options to people (and there's a LOT of us). You say you only drink diet sodas. That's cool. That's your preference. For me, I can't drink carbonated drinks. Believe me. I'd LOVE to. I can't. They swell me up so badly, makes my fingers feel so tight and my joints hurt. My husband was a lifelong Dr.Pepper man but can no longer have caffeine at all due to health problems. Starbucks offers us things that we can enjoy. Me? I love iced coffee, flavored with sugar-free syrups, sweetened with Splenda, with extra non-fat milk to further tone the bitter of the coffee. My husband loves to have the vanilla creme Frappucinos. There's no coffee in those. A non-coffee drinker hating the idea of an actual coffee shop is like me, a non-soda drinker, hating a soda stand or fountain. Just because I haven't found a liking for it doesn't make it bad. The world does not exist for my pleasure alone. Right?

As far as Starbucks as a company being evil in some way, do you really know anything about Starbucks? Really? Because all the neighborhood stores I've been in tend to be pretty civic-minded being proactive and involved in the communities they are part of. Even the corporate you see taking stands in different social and economic issues that are part of the world we live in. A company willing to be human and involved, I dunno, hard to see that as the pure evil some make it out to be. I may not agree with every one of the stances they take, the efforts they make, or what they do but that's okay. At least they are doing something and making some effort. Sure beats nothing in my book. That's just me.
I didn't read all of your post (I'm sorry, it's long, I have a lot of replies and such to read, plus I really need to get to my homework, I have a Spanish paper to write) but just on the community service front: I've never known them to contribute anything to the schools. I go to public high school, and Chick Fil A, which I can't eat at because of an allergy, contributes more than the Starbucks does. Plus I've known several employees who quit because they were poorly treated. It's also more that I'm a classic Disney fan and I really don't like them messing with what's classic.

And also, my father is a coffee drinker, but he hates this idea as well. No one in my family likes Starbucks. We got a gift card one time and gave it away.

I just really don't want them to change the classic products. But I'm going to complain anyway because I can't stand the smell (seriously, there's a Starbucks at my grocery store, and I walk around it or else it will turn my stomach). I'm really getting attacked for being so negative about all this...might just move on to a different thread. I'm usually pretty positive about Disney, but this I just can't be positive about.

StarWarsGirl

A batch of cranberry juice is allowed by the FDA to have a 10% mold content.
Diet soda is pretty much carbonated water infused with chemicals.

Yum.
It's either water or carbonated chemicals for me. Can't drink anything besides juice that's sugared. Will gain weight, and it won't be pretty.

StarWarsGirl

The Starbucks items in DCA are priced the same as any other Starbucks in the LA area. Your estimation of $6-$8 a piece is way off.
They must charge more for it in the Starbucks that I've been in. Of course, one of the three that I've been in was in Hawaii:rolleyes:. At the Hilton. Everything was overpriced. The one in the grocery store charges more. Plus, that's what my friends have told me they pay.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's also more that I'm a classic Disney fan and I really don't like them messing with what's classic.

And also, my father is a coffee drinker, but he hates this idea as well. No one in my family likes Starbucks. We got a gift card one time and gave it away.

I just really don't want them to change the classic products. But I'm going to complain anyway because I can't stand the smell (seriously, there's a Starbucks at my grocery store, and I walk around it or else it will turn my stomach). I'm really getting attacked for being so negative about all this...might just move on to a different thread. I'm usually pretty positive about Disney, but this I just can't be positive about.

Nescafe coffee (which is a coffee syrup with water added to it) is a classic product?

I understand you're not liking Starbucks, or coffee for that matter. But let's not pretend putting Starbucks in the parks is somehow damaging when all they are essentially doing is replacing one coffee brand with another.

jakeman

Nescafe coffee (which is a coffee syrup with water added to it) is a classic product?

I understand you're not liking Starbucks, or coffee for that matter. But let's not pretend putting Starbucks in the parks is somehow damaging when all they are essentially doing is replacing one coffee brand with another.
Or what he said...

emcclay

qm.gif
debbie.gif

qm.gif
qm.gif

baymenxpac

Why is there such an aversion against Starbucks? Of course tastes are different, but in my opinion Starbucks coffee is of a good quality. It's at least much better than Nescafe. For me Starbucks is something special, because over here we don't have many of them. In addition Starbucks uses fair trade coffee, which I think is great.

because, in my opinion, when you look at this issue, you're dealing with both a huge brand and a product that people tend to either love or hate.

teens or younger adults who haven't acquired the taste for it are like, "ZOOOOMG COFFEE BLECH!" there are coffee drinks who view starbucks as "elitist" or "not worth the cost." there are people of all ages that are tea drinkers, or just don't drink coffee.

and then you have coffee drinkers who bring their own keurig pot to keep in the room with them because they refuse to drink that nescafe garbage (that's me). full disclosure: i was a non-coffee drinker until a year ago, when i quit diet coke.

truthfully, i tried to choke down nescafe once to keep me awake during EMH at MK this summer. good...god that is awful. i would have paid $20 for a cup of starbucks at that very moment.

the truth of the matter is that this is still the same situation as it was when it was first announced: awesome for people who like starbucks coffee and no effect for people who don't drink it.

StarWarsGirl

Have you ever considered drinking carbonated water? It's my main drink and it gives you that carbonated, refreshing feel without any calories, caffeine or chemicals. I sometimes mix it with a little bit of juice if I want some taste and it is still less sugar than juice on its own.
I do need a touch of caffeine in the morning to get myself going, just not as much as coffee provides, or else I'll become addicted, and that's not good. Plus I have asthma, and caffeine helps with the symptoms, and I'm a migraine sufferer, and caffeine in the morning will usually prevent a migraine later. I drink about two diet sodas per day to keep me going and then I drink water or iced tea, usually water. Except on vacation. On vacation, all bets are off, and I drink diet soda all day. From what I've heard, the chemicals don't really do anything bad to your body, and they're better than sugar. I did consult my doctors, and they said that as long as I keep it under 3, they're fine with it. Ironically, they told me no Vitamin Water, which I was drinking for a while but stopped when they told me to. I do like carbonated water and juice. I water down my juice anyway, otherwise it's too strong. I once mixed cranberry juice and Sprite Zero (I know that's not carbonated water, but still). It was good. I'll probably do carbonated water in the summer when I lay out on my back deck and want something a little more interesting.

StarWarsGirl

This quote alone applies to so many threads on this board...but I digress.

@StarWarsGirl95 - I didn't like coffee either when I was younger, but as I got older I began to like it more. Maybe you'll find that your tastes will change in a few years. :) (I say as I sit here drinking my skinny caramel latte...yum!)
Who knows. I think it's genetic; my mom doesn't like it either.:rolleyes: My father does, though. Though he won't drink Starbucks. He'd rather get the Kona coffee over at Polynesian

emcclay

I do need a touch of caffeine in the morning to get myself going, just not as much as coffee provides, or else I'll become addicted, and that's not good. Plus I have asthma, and caffeine helps with the symptoms, and I'm a migraine sufferer, and caffeine in the morning will usually prevent a migraine later. I drink about two diet sodas per day to keep me going and then I drink water or iced tea, usually water. Except on vacation. On vacation, all bets are off, and I drink diet soda all day. From what I've heard, the chemicals don't really do anything bad to your body, and they're better than sugar. I did consult my doctors, and they said that as long as I keep it under 3, they're fine with it. Ironically, they told me no Vitamin Water, which I was drinking for a while but stopped when they told me to. I do like carbonated water and juice. I water down my juice anyway, otherwise it's too strong. I once mixed cranberry juice and Sprite Zero (I know that's not carbonated water, but still). It was good. I'll probably do carbonated water in the summer when I lay out on my back deck and want something a little more interesting.

The word "chlorocarbon" should not sound safe to anyone. But, what do I know? I'm only going to culinary school and we had a whole class on substitutions. :)

Vive la Starbucks!

StarWarsGirl

Don't let the "diet" in diet soda fool you. It's still horrible for you, if not worse than regular soda. Oh and there are potential links between aspartame and cancer to boot. (http://wap.myfoxchicago.com/w/main/story/84108321/)

I've also recently read an article suggesting a link between aspartame and MS and even diabetes. The more I have observed, the more I've noticed that and awful lot of fat people drink an awful lot of diet soda.

Try giving up soda for a month or two and only drink water. Once your body is no longer used to a daily dose of soda, you won't crave it anymore. It's tough, but once you've kicked the addiction, you start to realize how much crap you've been ingesting by drinking soda daily.
I've cut down on it. I'm down to two per day, and I drink water or tea. I just need the slight caffeine in the morning, and a boost midday. Teens and getting up early don't exactly go together

I did my own research on the aspartame, as well as consulted my doctors (multiple ones) about it because I was concerned about it. They have said it's fine in small amounts. I tend to have trouble with sugar and some other sweeteners because of allergies, so they'd rather me stick to what I know is safe rather than have a trip to the ER. Ironically, they said Vitamin Water is what I should not be drinking, which was rather interesting, because of the chemicals in it. So I stopped with that. I'm at a healthy weight for me, so they're not worried about weight gain or anything.

Oh, and I tried kicking it to see if I'd lose a few extra pounds. After two months without it and changing nothing, my weight was the same. My mother made me do this, and after that, she stopped complaining.

sweetpee_1993

I didn't read all of your post (I'm sorry, it's long, I have a lot of replies and such to read, plus I really need to get to my homework, I have a Spanish paper to write) but just on the community service front: I've never known them to contribute anything to the schools. I go to public high school, and Chick Fil A, which I can't eat at because of an allergy, contributes more than the Starbucks does. Plus I've known several employees who quit because they were poorly treated. It's also more that I'm a classic Disney fan and I really don't like them messing with what's classic.

It's all good. I'm taking a break from grading written work for my boys. We homeschool.

Anywhoo, I think it's not so much that people are jumping on you because you're highly critical of the addition of Starbucks to the Main Street Bakery. Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions which I definitely respect. I have my own feelings about things that I, in turn, expect others to respect. It's all good. I think a lot of the arguements to your points is that a lot of your reasoning when expressing your distaste for the Starbucks addition comes from the fact that you don't like coffee, the smell grosses you out, and you have no connection to the branding specifically. Again, having an opinion is fine. The point is just because YOU don't enjoy coffee or YOU are grossed out by the smell or YOU have no connection to the brand specifically doesn't mean it's not appreciated or welcomed by others who might really enjoy a true cup of coffee or enjoy treating themselves to a Starbucks when the opportunity presents itself. I don't go to Starbucks every day but when I do I definitely feel like it's a special treat that I really enjoy. It makes a good time better to have a little treat on top. Like icing on the cake.

The smell thing I can identify with. The smell of seafood literally makes my stomach turn. I can feel it in my throat like I need to go puke. Know what? I don't go to seafood restaurants that are stinky inside, I avoid the seafood counter at the market, and my family doesn't bring fish or other seafood into the house. They keep it outside to clean & cook. But ya know, I know my family and most others think of seafood as a wonderful treat. I would never want them to not enjoy that, tho. I go to restaurants that I can stomach. I'm thrilled for others who enjoy seafood so much.

Starbucks may not be involved specifically in the schools in your area. Starbucks may not do a lot with schools period. However, there are other worthy areas in society they can and DO get involved and try to promote a general sense of community in the neighborhoods they are part of. Even if all they do is inspire their patrons to check out some civic organizations or take part in a community cleanup, that's something more than a lot of businesses do. Plus, it's kinda unfair to judge Starbucks across the country by the inadequecies of 1 store or 1 region. Get the wrong person in the wrong management position and it WILL cause the sorts of problems you described with employees. ALL businesses have those same challenges. I've been to Starbucks where I know I got poor service and a sub-par product. I've been in other Starbucks stores that were excellent in every way. Ever run into a grumpy CM at Disney? Had one give you incorrect information? I have many times. That's not the company as a whole being garbage. That's a misstep by just a few.

Not trying to lecture, just expand the horizons by lending a different perspective.

I, for one, would be hopping around singing at the thought of being on Main Street with a trenta iced skinny vanilla coffee w/9 splendas, light ice, and extra milk. I don't want the inside of the bakery to look like my neighborhood Starbucks store. I want it to be themed and blend with the surroundings the Disney way. Judging by how the Starbucks has turned out in Disneyland I think the marriage of the 2 will likely come off smooth and pleasant. Definitely don't want to judge before it's done and I've seen it. Never judge a book by it's cover, right? Don't focus on the Starbucks logo. Wait to see what the substance is inside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom