Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The word "chlorocarbon" should not sound safe to anyone. But, what do I know? I'm only going to culinary school and we had a whole class on substitutions. :)

Vive la Starbucks!
Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine...the name of a food, chemical, whatever has zero bearing on if it is safe to consume or not. Does ascorbate sound healthy? What about cholecalciferol or Alpha-Tocopherol. Just try to cut those "chemicals" out of your diet and see how far you get.

emcclay

Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine...the name of a food, chemical, whatever has zero bearing on if it is safe to consume or not. Does ascorbate sound healthy? What about cholecalciferol or Alpha-Tocopherol. Just try to cut those "chemicals" out of your diet and see how far you get.

Chlorocarbons are chlorine based compounds made by the fusion of sucrose and chlorine. It is often used as an insecticide and can cause swelling of vital organs.

It's not that hard. Try honey or agave nectar as a sweetener, certified organic products, from-scratch products, visit farmer's markets, buy your food local, etc. All it takes it some research! :)

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
It's all good. I'm taking a break from grading written work for my boys. We homeschool.

Anywhoo, I think it's not so much that people are jumping on you because you're highly critical of the addition of Starbucks to the Main Street Bakery. Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions which I definitely respect. I have my own feelings about things that I, in turn, expect others to respect. It's all good. I think a lot of the arguements to your points is that a lot of your reasoning when expressing your distaste for the Starbucks addition comes from the fact that you don't like coffee, the smell grosses you out, and you have no connection to the branding specifically. Again, having an opinion is fine. The point is just because YOU don't enjoy coffee or YOU are grossed out by the smell or YOU have no connection to the brand specifically doesn't mean it's not appreciated or welcomed by others who might really enjoy a true cup of coffee or enjoy treating themselves to a Starbucks when the opportunity presents itself. I don't go to Starbucks every day but when I do I definitely feel like it's a special treat that I really enjoy. It makes a good time better to have a little treat on top. Like icing on the cake.

The smell thing I can identify with. The smell of seafood literally makes my stomach turn. I can feel it in my throat like I need to go puke. Know what? I don't go to seafood restaurants that are stinky inside, I avoid the seafood counter at the market, and my family doesn't bring fish or other seafood into the house. They keep it outside to clean & cook. But ya know, I know my family and most others think of seafood as a wonderful treat. I would never want them to not enjoy that, tho. I go to restaurants that I can stomach. I'm thrilled for others who enjoy seafood so much.

Starbucks may not be involved specifically in the schools in your area. Starbucks may not do a lot with schools period. However, there are other worthy areas in society they can and DO get involved and try to promote a general sense of community in the neighborhoods they are part of. Even if all they do is inspire their patrons to check out some civic organizations or take part in a community cleanup, that's something more than a lot of businesses do. Plus, it's kinda unfair to judge Starbucks across the country by the inadequecies of 1 store or 1 region. Get the wrong person in the wrong management position and it WILL cause the sorts of problems you described with employees. ALL businesses have those same challenges. I've been to Starbucks where I know I got poor service and a sub-par product. I've been in other Starbucks stores that were excellent in every way. Ever run into a grumpy CM at Disney? Had one give you incorrect information? I have many times. That's not the company as a whole being garbage. That's a misstep by just a few.

Not trying to lecture, just expand the horizons by lending a different perspective.

I, for one, would be hopping around singing at the thought of being on Main Street with a trenta iced skinny vanilla coffee w/9 splendas, light ice, and extra milk. I don't want the inside of the bakery to look like my neighborhood Starbucks store. I want it to be themed and blend with the surroundings the Disney way. Judging by how the Starbucks has turned out in Disneyland I think the marriage of the 2 will likely come off smooth and pleasant. Definitely don't want to judge before it's done and I've seen it. Never judge a book by it's cover, right? Don't focus on the Starbucks logo. Wait to see what the substance is inside.
Question: Do they only have Splendas there or do they have NutraSweet as well? That's the one artificial sweetener I can't use. Something about the way the make it triggers a food allergy in me. I don't know if it's because of where they get it, possibly from a fruit I'm allergic to, or what. If that's the case, there's no way I'm EVER going to Starbucks.

I still only had time to glance over your post. Spanish papers take twice as long as English ones. Sorry.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I know, but I still hope they don't change their mind...Actually, I'll stick to Boardwalk Bakery.

They sold coffee and bakery items in there before, and they will again. Simply with the Starbucks addendum....

And no, they're not changing their minds.

cooleo

My entire family will be so happy to be able to have our Starbucks at WDW. :) I will definitely have one of those tall blonde's myself. :cool:

sweetpee_1993

Question: Do they only have Splendas there or do they have NutraSweet as well? That's the one artificial sweetener I can't use. Something about the way the make it triggers a food allergy in me. I don't know if it's because of where they get it, possibly from a fruit I'm allergic to, or what. If that's the case, there's no way I'm EVER going to Starbucks.

I still only had time to glance over your post. Spanish papers take twice as long as English ones. Sorry.
Starbucks is all about variety. They offer granulated sugar, raw sugar, Equal, Splenda, and (I think) Sweet-n-Low. ;)

Good luck with Spanish. I have checking German to look forward to myself.

jakeman

Chlorocarbons are chlorine based compounds made by the fusion of sucrose and chlorine. It is often used as an insecticide and can cause swelling of vital organs.

It's not that hard. Try honey or agave nectar as a sweetener, certified organic products, from-scratch products, visit farmer's markets, buy your food local, etc. All it takes it some research! :)
I think the point that @Master Yoda was trying to make that just because a chemical name sounds scary doesn't mean it is.

If you wanted to go with the pure chemical name, chlorocarbon would be any compound that contains both chlorine and carbon. Just because an errant chlorine atom attaches itself to a fat molecule it doesn't mean doom for the consumer.

Chlorocarbons can be natural and found in plants and also in a wide variety of life improving drugs.

You may be thinking of sucralose which replaces a few of the hydroxyl groups (hydrogen and oxygen) with chlorine.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Hate to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure that I read that the Boardwalk Bakery was switching over to Starbucks as well. In fact, it might be closed as we speak for the change over.
I don't remember hearing that. It was closed when I was there in January, but they're adding new menu items and expanding the kitchen. I wouldn't think they'd put a Starbucks there just because resort guests can come fill up their mugs, but I seriously doubt they'd let resort guests fill up with Starbucks. That's not to say you're wrong, but it's my theory, especially since the article did say that they're adding a refillable mug station.

Beach Club Marketplace...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Hey all, chemist here. Here's the short answer - almost nothing is bad for you if you don't overdo it. There's a reason the doc says diet soda is fine, but do drink more than 3 cans a day.

Anyhoo, back to the important point, they've got to offer coffee in the parks. Starbucks is fine. Not my first choice, but nothing wrong with it either. I don't ever remember their sizing system, but at the SB I frequent once a week or so, they've given up trying to correct me. Probably because the conversation goes something like this - Me: "I'll have a medium", Coffee getter (or banister in SB talk): "Sir, do you mean a venti?", Me: "Whatever the f*** you call it, just get me some coffee." I should note these conversations typically take place at 5:30 am and I know the coffee getters aren't called banisters, they're called ballerinas.

Earlier in this thread when it was mentioned that 30 minute waits were anticipated, I was actually serious when I noted that all SB' need a line for coffee drinkers and another for the fancy drink people.

Goofyernmost

I don't remember hearing that. It was closed when I was there in January, but they're adding new menu items and expanding the kitchen. I wouldn't think they'd put a Starbucks there just because resort guests can come fill up their mugs, but I seriously doubt they'd let resort guests fill up with Starbucks. That's not to say you're wrong, but it's my theory, especially since the article did say that they're adding a refillable mug station.

Beach Club Marketplace...
After I posted, of course, I did a search and it does show that they are going to be refurbing the Boardwalk Bakery in 2013 but I can't find a reference to Starbucks. I guess I just assumed that because of the timing so close to the Main Street change over, that Starbucks was going in there. My Bad. It didn't actually say that much of anything was going to be different, just repaired.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
After I posted, of course, I did a search and it does show that they are going to be refurbing the Boardwalk Bakery in 2013 but I can't find a reference to Starbucks. I guess I just assumed that because of the timing so close to the Main Street change over, that Starbucks was going in there. My Bad. It didn't actually say that much of anything was going to be different, just repaired.
That's okay. I didn't think you were correct as I did a quick search, plus I was there less than a month ago, but I wasn't going to be mean about it, especially if you heard something I didn't. Even though I was there a month ago...plus from what I've heard, it's just inside the theme parks that they're adding them. No big deal, it happens to everyone.

Downtown Disney can have one, though; I only go down there for Disneyquest, so I wouldn't have to be smelling it all the time. :rolleyes:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Each of the parks will eventually have a Starbucks location. And I believe Joeffrey's (sp?) coffee will eventually replace all of the Nescafé coffee offerings.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I think the point that @Master Yoda was trying to make that just because a chemical name sounds scary doesn't mean it is.

If you wanted to go with the pure chemical name, chlorocarbon would be any compound that contains both chlorine and carbon. Just because an errant chlorine atom attaches itself to a fat molecule it doesn't mean doom for the consumer.

Chlorocarbons can be natural and found in plants and also in a wide variety of life improving drugs.

You may be thinking of sucralose which replaces a few of the hydroxyl groups (hydrogen and oxygen) with chlorine.
Exactly, chlorocarbons is simply the name of a type of molecule. As you pointed out, there are numerous naturally occurring chlorocarbons.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
This thread has finally forced my hand...into my wallet...to pay for my order.

FC21B806-54B0-4525-986C-621B0E995570-556-00000033C7C580C1.jpg

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Hey all, chemist here. Here's the short answer - almost nothing is bad for you if you don't overdo it. There's a reason the doc says diet soda is fine, but do drink more than 3 cans a day.
Thank you:D Some people were giving me a very hard time. Vacation and a migraine are the only exceptions, other than that, two a day is plenty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom