Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The way that this thread has been going, we need to have a few things sticky'd at the top of each page, or just repost them every 5 posts or so. The original blog post, the updated info, the link to the DCA Starbucks pictures, and maybe a few cute pictures of puppies in little hats and boots to use as palate cleansers.

Goofyernmost

So from what the recent information seems to imply is that the Cinnamon Rolls might not be available there anymore, but will be available at Gaston's. So if one doesn't drink coffee and are afraid that having Starbucks will slow the process of getting their Cinnamon Roll...your problem seems to have been solved. They did you a favor by putting the Rolls in a different place. You will not have to contend with the line that will be in there using every possible combination of ingredients to cover the foul taste of coffee (that they love). I am realistic enough to know that there are a lot more people that like coffee then those that don't so...since we are all making so many guesses here, I'd have to say that the majority are in favor of the change. Guess the war is lost.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm going by everything Disney has written so far, as well as what has been said on the forums.

Actually you are going OPPOSITE of what was said so far by people actually referencing hard data and choosing to only believe those that agreed with your unfounded fears.

Good thing is this morning the DPB posted more info (this has to be the first time I've seen them post a update at the top of the blog like that in bright blue) pointing out.. again.. how unfounded most of those fears were.

MaryJaneP

Can I suggest (no throwing rotten tomatoes, please) a survey is conducted outside the MSUSA Bakery asking guests (many of whom do not and will not see this forum) whether they want a Starbucks to replace the bakery and which items on the menu should be retained? Seems like a good use of the wandering survey taking staff. Not that it will make one bit of difference to the corporate decisions already made and etched in stone.

captainkidd

Actually you are going OPPOSITE of what was said so far by people actually referencing hard data and choosing to only believe those that agreed with your unfounded fears.

Good thing is this morning the DPB posted more info (this has to be the first time I've seen them post a update at the top of the blog like that in bright blue) pointing out.. again.. how unfounded most of those fears were.

If you have hard data, why don't you answer Yoda's request for information?

I'm going by what I've read as it sticks out to me. Why can't you accept the fact that just because someone has a different opinion than you, that doesn't make them wrong?

Lee

Adventurer
But there's a big difference between having a sponsorship logo underneath a sign and having that sponsor have it's own establishment inside of the Magic Kingdom.
That was the point of my post yesterday.
At Disneyland, Walt leased out space on Main St. to outside companies to operate their own establishments.
Wurlitzer sold organs , Hollywood-Maxwell sold "intimate apparel" and Yale sold locks.
Right there on Main St. In their own stores.

This situation is much different. Disney isn't leasing out space to Starbucks to open their own business. They are adding Starbucks to the bakery in the same way they added Edy's to the ice cream parlor.

Not trying to be rude to anyone, or disrespect an opinion....but I really don't understand the problem.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So from what the recent information seems to imply is that the Cinnamon Rolls might not be available there anymore, but will be available at Gaston's.

My personal opinion... they'll still be there. The location at the entrance of the park makes it the almost the exclusive location for 'breakfast' type foods. Cinnamon rolls while also enjoyed as treats, are still very much breakfast treats for people. And to not offer them there 'in the breakfast rush' would create lots of conflict. No one wants to walk to the very back of the park to get the thing they want as the first thing to do in the morning.

captainkidd

That was the point of my post yesterday.
At Disneyland, Walt leased out space on Main St. to outside companies to operate their own establishments.
Wurlitzer sold organs , Hollywood-Maxwell sold "intimate apparel" and Yale sold locks.
Right there on Main St. In their own stores.

This situation is much different. Disney isn't leasing out space to Starbucks to open their own business. They are adding Starbucks to the bakery in the same way they added Edy's to the ice cream parlor.

Not trying to be rude to anyone, or disrespect an opinion....but I really don't understand the problem.

You weren't rude at all. So, kudos. Many people don't seem to be able to make a statement on this thread without being so.

The only thing I can think of is that people are going by what they know, which in my case is Main Street at the Magic Kingdom. Having never been to Disneyland, I have no point of reference.

captainkidd

My personal opinion... they'll still be there. The location at the entrance of the park makes it the almost the exclusive location for 'breakfast' type foods. Cinnamon rolls while also enjoyed as treats, are still very much breakfast treats for people. And to not offer them there 'in the breakfast rush' would create lots of conflict. No one wants to walk to the very back of the park to get the thing they want as the first thing to do in the morning.

I'd say the press release make it clear they won't be there. That's how it came off to me anyways.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can I suggest (no throwing rotten tomatoes, please) a survey is conducted outside the MSUSA Bakery asking guests (many of whom do not and will not see this forum) whether they want a Starbucks to replace the bakery and which items on the menu should be retained?

See.. it's this type of built in bias that keeps people wound up over nothing.. It's not replacing the bakery.

baymenxpac

what @Lee said.

also, please keep in mind when talking about "starbucks locations" that this is a joint press release that both disney and starbucks executives, their respective in-house PR teams, and any outside consultants they use, had to sign off on. so when you consider that, you have to remember that starbucks wants the language that these will be "starbucks locations" because that's really the easiest way to articulate and have it resonate with the average park goer that they can now get starbucks in the park.

captainkidd

All this confusion and dissent doesn't really surprise me. Disney's press releases always seem to raise more questions than answers. Maybe they should hire Universal's PR team.

jlsHouston

Well, from the looks of it, the hysteria seems to have subsided a bit, so let's hope we can have a civilised discussion now without that handful of loudmouths trying to shout it down.

It's funny you should bring up McDonald's. If ever there was a precedent for the $bux construction, it was Disney's contract with McD's of last decade.

McD's products, menu was introduced into the parks. Subtly, themed. Very much like they intend to do with $bux. But it was still a theme breaker to me. A breaking of the fourth wall. The addition of McDonald's' industrially perfect fries wasn't an addition to me. It was a distraction. McDonald's is what you want to leave behind you, in the real world. I didn't need to have the world's 19,873th McDonald's counter in the MK.

There is a subtle but important difference between Coke, Edy's and Nescafé's presence in the parks, and that of McDonald's or Starbucks. The former are tangible products, the latter are physical spaces, places one visits. It is fine for WDW to serve Heinz Ketchup with your fries, but not to order those fries from a McDonald's menu.

I was happy to see McDonald's leave the parks again, and I hope Starbucks will soon follow suit. It felt intrusive, as Starbucks will feel too. Even though I do expect the lines to run all the way to the Train Station.

The 'Refreshment Port featuring McDonald's favorites' in EPCOT:

mcwdw_refreshment2007ww.jpg

The themed McDonald's cart in FL:

mcwdw_gold2007ww.jpg

Further reading: http://www.yesterland.com/mcwdw.html
Ooh I missed the MCD thing in the parks..TGFSF, here is another blond question is that logo for real or did you photoshop it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom