Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

The Empress Lilly

and B) Holy crap! You like McDonald's coffee? Yikes. I haven't had anything that awful in a long time. But that's me.
McDonald's coffee seems to have drastically improved some time ago. I don't know when or why or how. All I remember is that their coffee was absolutely abysmal, and then suddenly - I needed a cup of coffee, even from McD - their coffee was alright(ish).

It is not hard at all to make decent coffee with today's equipment. I don't understand places that can't serve you a decent cup of coffee. Everybody can nowadays.

G00fyDad

McDonald's coffee seems to have drastically improved some time ago. I don't know when or why or how. All I remember is that their coffee was absolutely abysmal, and then suddenly - I needed a cup of coffee, even from McD - their coffee was alright(ish).

It is not hard at all to make decent coffee with today's equipment. I don't understand places that can't serve you a decent cup of coffee. Everybody can nowadays.

Eww. That was when they went to the McCafe' garbage. I only saw that as a lateral move in nastiness.

You're right though. With the tech today, they should be able to make a decent cup of coffee.

flynnibus

Premium Member

McDonald's updated all their coffee offerings in the last view years when they added all the specialty drinks. Changed everything including the target audience and product lineup

captainkidd

McDonald's updated all their coffee offerings in the last view years when they added all the specialty drinks. Changed everything including the target audience and product lineup

That's a perfect example of why I think the changes will be too drastic on Main Street. McDonalds did all that without closing any restaurants. Yeah, I know you're going to post photos of how it looks in California. And as I have said, given that California seems to do just about everything better than Orlando, I'm not convinced.

alphac2005

Corporate is having the McDonald's locations built with their new design and having older stores replaced with the new design all because of the majorly increased coffee offerings. They're trying to go for a more modern look, trying to bring in a coffee crowd and doesn't want the dated, old McDonald's look. From what I last heard, the new shop design has been incredibly successful. Corporate control over the look of the new shops are so defined that the franchisees are given few options outside of the color of the floor tile. They see Starbucks as a model of modern, relevant business and want to emulate that success.

SirLink

That's a perfect example of why I think the changes will be too drastic on Main Street. McDonalds did all that without closing any restaurants. Yeah, I know you're going to post photos of how it looks in California. And as I have said, given that California seems to do just about everything better than Orlando, I'm not convinced.

Last post from me in this thread ... but until they stop buying in the cheap and nasty coffee syrup, that they add to hot water, then nothing will change. At present most of the food in the parks is down right disgusting,this will be an improvement over stale sandwiches, crusty sushi, watered down coffee and grey meat served in the MK in particular.

But to bring back to @Lee earlier post a lot of companies have had restaurants/shops in Disneyland up to I believe late 60s/early 70s that were outside ran.

sgtmgd

Well, from the looks of it, the hysteria seems to have subsided a bit, so let's hope we can have a civilised discussion now without that handful of loudmouths trying to shout it down.

It's funny you should bring up McDonald's. If ever there was a precedent for the $bux construction, it was Disney's contract with McD's of last decade.

McD's products, menu was introduced into the parks. Subtly, themed. Very much like they intend to do with $bux. But it was still a theme breaker to me. A breaking of the fourth wall. The addition of McDonald's' industrially perfect fries wasn't an addition to me. It was a distraction. McDonald's is what you want to leave behind you, in the real world. I didn't need to have the world's 19,873th McDonald's counter in the MK.

There is a subtle but important difference between Coke, Edy's and Nescafé's presence in the parks, and that of McDonald's or Starbucks. The former are tangible products, the latter are physical spaces, places one visits. It is fine for WDW to serve Heinz Ketchup with your fries, but not to order those fries from a McDonald's menu.

I was happy to see McDonald's leave the parks again, and I hope Starbucks will soon follow suit. It felt intrusive, as Starbucks will feel too. Even though I do expect the lines to run all the way to the Train Station.

The 'Refreshment Port featuring McDonald's favorites' in EPCOT:

mcwdw_refreshment2007ww.jpg

The themed McDonald's cart in FL:

mcwdw_gold2007ww.jpg

Further reading: http://www.yesterland.com/mcwdw.html
Great photos and I agree to a point..Disney could have added starbucks a number of ways and not made it feel intrusive..ripping out Main Street Bakery was going to upset a ton of folks...most of which were probably happy to have starbucks in the MK..right up to Friday evening when they announced where it was going to be. Having it on Main Street makes sense as everyone funnels through in the morning wanting a caffeine fix..

captainkidd

I don't have a problem with the MK food. It's not great, but it's passable. Fast food is the same in every park. As for breakfast, the Bakery always was perfect for me and my family. Dinner, I wouldn't eat at the Magic Kingdom anyways. If it was a late MK night, we'd have dinner at Ohana, Whispering Canyon, GF Cafe, etc.

Goofyernmost

McDonald's turn around came when the joined forces with Green Mountain Coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker but I remember it happening because at the time I lived in Vermont, GMC's home base. Since I am not a coffee drinker, I don't know if they still have that connection, but that is when it started.

I don't have a problem with the MK food. It's not great, but it's passable. Fast food is the same in every park. As for breakfast, the Bakery always was perfect for me and my family. Dinner, I wouldn't eat at the Magic Kingdom anyways. If it was a late MK night, we'd have dinner at Ohana, Whispering Canyon, GF Cafe, etc.

And I think that the just of this whole frustrating discussion is that NO ONE, in fact more then ample evidence has shown that it is not going away and that you should still have your beloved Main Street Bakery. Why can't that thought penetrate? The e-mail that you wrote, although obviously from the heart, is incorrect in many ways. Not the least of which is the reference that "the majority feel that it shouldn't be done". I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that because you felt the way you feel, a majority of people feel the same way. Seriously, I doubt that those in opposition are even big enough to be a minority. More a squeak in the night. The deal is done, millions of dollars are at stake here, your crying in the darkness isn't going to change anything. Wait until it is finished, go and see what has been done and then if you still think that "all is lost", let us know. Until then you are creating the entire story.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
A) We go off property quite often on our trips since we fly down and rent a vehicle. So we usually just go pick up a cheap coffee pot, filters, and coffee at Walmart on I-4.

and B) Holy crap! You like McDonald's coffee? Yikes. I haven't had anything that awful in a long time. But that's me.

lol. Actually I can tolerate McDonalds coffee they switched to, old stuff no. Nescafe actually bugs my tummy.

captainkidd

And I think that the just of this whole frustrating discussion is that NO ONE, in fact more then ample evidence has shown that it is not going away and that you should still have your beloved Main Street Bakery. Why can't that thought penetrate? The e-mail that you wrote, although obviously from the heart, is incorrect in many ways. Not the least of which is the reference that "the majority feel that it shouldn't be done". I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that because you felt the way you feel, a majority of people feel the same way. Seriously, I doubt that those in opposition are even big enough to be a minority. More a squeak in the night. The deal is done, millions of dollars are at stake here, your crying in the darkness isn't going to change anything. Wait until it is finished, go and see what has been done and then if you still think that "all is lost", let us know. Until then you are creating the entire story.

I suggest you check out WDW's Facebook page and other message boards before you assume that the majority don't have a problem with this.

Goofyernmost

I suggest you check out WDW's Facebook page and other message boards before you assume that the majority don't have a problem with this.

They will still be made up of a bunch of Disney Geeks that have no idea what is actually going to happen, knee jerking their way into their 15 minutes of fame. Hardly the majority of Disney Guests by a long shot.

captainkidd

They will still be made up of a bunch of Disney Geeks that have no idea what is actually going to happen, knee jerking their way into their 15 minutes of fame. Hardly the majority of Disney Guests by a long shot.

Who knows what the majority of Disney guests think? They're not on these boards or on their Facebook page. Point being, the majority of people that do know about it aren't happy about it.

I know what's going to happen. I'm not happy about it. You just refuse to acknowledge the reasons why. You just insist that those opposed to this have no idea what's going on. While some may not, most do and still have a problem with it. You're just ignoring the reasons why people have a problem with this, assuming you know why they do.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Who knows what the majority of Disney guests think? They're not on these boards or on their Facebook page. Point being, the majority of people that do know about it aren't happy about it.

I know what's going to happen. I'm not happy about it. You just refuse to acknowledge the reasons why. You just insist that those opposed to this have no idea what's going on. While some may not, most do and still have a problem with it. You're just ignoring the reasons why people have a problem with this, assuming you know why they do.
You do? Do you have some concept art or plans you could share or possibly an article that confirms that they will be doing anything more than remodeling the bakery and adding Starbuck's items to the existing menu?

captainkidd

You do? Do you have some concept art or plans you could share or possibly an article that confirms that they will be doing anything more than remodeling the bakery and adding Starbuck's items to the existing menu?

I'm going by everything Disney has written so far, as well as what has been said on the forums.

As I have said, I don't give a damn what type of coffee is served. I don't drink it. But if I'm to believe all the people crapping on the ones who are against it (as well as the last sentence of your paragraph), then from what I have read, I'm still against it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm going by everything Disney has written so far, as well as what has been said on the forums.

As I have said, I don't give a damn what type of coffee is served. I don't drink it. But if I'm to believe all the people crapping on the ones who are against it, then from what I have read, I'm still against it.
Will you be against it if they still have your cinnamon rolls?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom