Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

GeneralKnowledge

I feel ya. I hate Starbucks and all it stands for! I cant believe this is going to happen. Shame on you Disney. How long til we are looking threw the ''Golden Archs'' into Adventureland. Crappy news for sure

FYI up until a couple years ago, McDonalds had a fry stand right on the pathway that transitions from Frontierland to Adventureland, so it wasn't far off from seeing the golden arches in Adventurland.

GeneralKnowledge

If they gut the Bakery and replace it with Starbucks coffee and Pastries, I think that'll be a bad move. I am on board with the DCA mode of operation where they still serve the Disney baked goods as well. I feel as if that's a win win. It would bother me if the place was branded to hell with Starbucks logos, but I do appreciate how they modified their logo at DCA and blended it in quite subtly.

The quality of offerings in the current bakery aren't that great. Pairing Starbucks with the bakery can only force the quality to go up. I don't understand why it matters to so many people. Epcot, Downtown Disney and Animal Kingdom have many operating participant restaurants and shops which blend in just fine. The bakery will still look like the bakery when the dust clears and chances are it won't be the only place to find cinnamon rolls.

ThankstoMOM

Wasn't Restaurantpsaurus originally a McDonald's inside DAK?
I think it was, but DAK is not the MK. They can chesse ball that park out all they want. Point being this IDEA sucks. Granted I know you coffee junkies are desperate for a good cup of joe but this is just wrong.

nytimez

Not a fan of this move myself, I do enjoy the cinnamon rolls there. On the other hand, I rarely venture inside anymore as the line is often longer than some of the attraction lines. And the last thing most of the people in that line need is a cinnamon roll, if you know what I mean.

GeneralKnowledge

The big problem.... DCAs is brand new. WDWs is replacing an Inhouse operation that's worked fine for ages.

Not saying you're wrong, but in both cases I would think they'd have the opportunity to put together an operation exactly how they'd like to. I don't have a feel for the size allotted to the location at DCA, but unless they are significantly more restricted size wise in the Bakery, I wouldn't think this would be an issue. Unless of course you're just saying the problem with the bakery being a successful in house operation is the associated public outcry from replacing it with a Starbucks.

ThankstoMOM

FYI up until a couple years ago, McDonalds had a fry stand right on the pathway that transitions from Frontierland to Adventureland, so it wasn't far off from seeing the golden arches in Adventurland.
That was like 6 yrs ago and it was small and didn't scream Mcdonalds. You could only get fries and coke products This Starbucks joke is a different level

scoobygirl39541

Next summer?? News of this came out in April! It takes a whole year to convert a bakery into Starbucks... really? Urgh so much for good coffee in December.

GeneralKnowledge

That was like 6 yrs ago and it was small and didn't scream Mcdonalds. You could only get fries and coke products This Starbucks joke is a different level

I don't see how it being 2 years or 6 years ago really makes a difference. It was actually 4 years ago anyway. Regardless of that fact, as long as they don't eliminate the current offerings of the Bakery, but only supplement it with Starbucks items, I don't see a big problem. As long as it's themed properly and not blatantly covered in Starbucks logos, I think it will be fine. They're bringing in an offering to the park that they don't currently have from a reputable third party. I would absolutely prefer this than Disney trying to make their own "coffee". (meaning coffee other than your standard cup of hot coffee)

ThankstoMOM

I don't see how it being 2 years or 6 years ago really makes a difference. It was actually 4 years ago anyway. Regardless of that fact, as long as they don't eliminate the current offerings of the Bakery, but only supplement it with Starbucks items, I don't see a big problem. As long as it's themed properly and not blatantly covered in Starbucks logos, I think it will be fine. They're bringing in an offering to the park that they don't currently have from a reputable third party. I would absolutely prefer this than Disney trying to make their own "coffee". (meaning coffee other than your standard cup of hot coffee)
It was 2007 actually, sorry not 6yrs !! I understand about the evolution of goods available to consumers, Just dont care for how they are going about it, I hope you are right about the branding. Thats my major concern. I just think its a bad move.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Now, we'll see what it's like when it opens and I'm sure it will fit the theme, but the article makes it sound like it's going to be more like a regular starbucks, rather than how it is at DCA (which I can say from experience, you don't notice it being a Starbucks).

Where in the article does it reference this as a regular Starbucks? The article starts out by referencing the fact that there will be 6 Starbucks locations For Disney parks with the first already open at DCA. Then it references that the first 2 WDW locations will open Next year. To me the fact that they reference the DCA location implies these locations will be similar to that one. Nowhere is there mention of these locations being regular, generic Starbucks. It then states that the locations will be designed to fit the surroundings. No way a regular Starbucks fits that description. Maybe I missed something.

disney dharling

Will they still pipe the bakery smell onto Main Street? That's one of my favorite things at the Magic Kingdom. Smelling the Bakery and starring at the castle.

WDW1974

Pure and utter insanity. And, guess what? When folks at Disney do their social media reading here and see threads that convince them that fans are over the top and can never be happy, it's threads like this they're reading.

I am just amazed at two things, one is the number of fans who don't drink coffee (apparently, coffee and alcohol are a no go for many in the fan community ... tempted to make a Utah or a Mitt joke, but I won't), and the other is how they all sat back for the past 15 years as MSUSA was totally turned into an outlet mall for the Disney BRAND and didn't say squat, but how this -- an actual improvement --gets ripped. What is with you people?

No problem with the Penny Arcade leaving ... no problem with the Main Street Cinema being replaced with a shop ... no problem with them removing half of Center Street to expand the Emporium, so it could run the length of MSUSA ... no problem with them removing mature trees and replacing them with saplings so you could see a fiberglass castle better ... no problem with them deciding to run the MS vehicles about two hours most days first thing in the morning ... no problem with them removing any/all unique shops ... no problem with them closing the Bank and then turning it into a shop and then closing that and replacing it with ... a package pickup ... no problem with them destroying the Hub at the end of the Street?!?!?

But having a location that will serve higher quality products from Starbucks AS WELL AS many of your bakery favorites next to an Eddy's ice cream location and across from a Coke hot dog stand gets you all hot and bothered.

Say, Spirit what did that celebrity Imagineer tell you in the summer of 2011 over drinks at the DLH about WDW and its problems ... oh yeah, something about its fans being its biggest problem. Yes, said Imagineer was absolutely right.

If with everything going on at WDW, the biggest thing you can complain about is Starbucks moving into the bakery than I'd suggest that Lou Mongello and Tom Corless and Co are right ... WDW has never been better.

WDW1974

oops, I also forgot how the Walt Disney Story became a photography shop turned pin shop turned whatever they can place on racks shop while using the theaters for DVC sales promos before finally turning into something that says MSUSA to me ... a meet-greet-and-grope!

I wonder what else has disappeared if I thought about it ...

Goofyernmost

I feel ya. I hate Starbucks and all it stands for! I cant believe this is going to happen. Shame on you Disney. How long til we are looking threw the ''Golden Archs'' into Adventureland. Crappy news for sure

Should they have moved McDonalds from Frontierland? Where was the uproar on that. There must have been hundreds of McDonalds fries places on the prairies as they were herding cattle to market. And where is the anger about Coke emblems everywhere? There isn't a position of viewing that isn't occupied by a Coca Cola emblem or stacked bottles in DAK. And goodness knows that the stores during the turn of the last century were literally stocked with sweat shirts with the imprint of "I'm with Grumpy", cheap jewelry, stuffed animals and Goofy candies.

I don't know why anyone would assume that they were going to change the facade. When you have no competition there is no need to make yourself distinct. No one, to my knowledge, has stated that they are taking out the traditional Disney Bakery items, just that Starbucks in taking over the space. Why wouldn't they desire to suck in some of the loyalty that the Bakery has already established not to mention the profit to be made by selling Disney product. They don't even have an in house bakery. You've seen what they have done in DCA so why wouldn't the same deal apply in WDW.

I wouldn't want to see the basic design and feel of Main Street change and I have no reason to think that it will. But lets be realistic here, there is nothing inside the doors of any of those buildings that even closely resembles the early 1900's. Again, much ado about probably nothing.

RSoxNo1

Yeah, because this is going to look so much better....
strip_mall_on_adams.jpg
As others have point out, the one in DCA is very nicely themed and blends in with the rest of Buena Vista Street, and even has it's own name Fiddler,Fifer and Practical Café.

DSC_1919.jpg
Hmmm... I can't tell the difference. Seriously, people really need to relax on this one.
If you don't like Starbucks coffee, I'm guessing you're probably not a big fan of Nescafe either. It's not going to be a thematic break, and it sounds like many of the bakery offerings will still remain. What is the actual downside here?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom