Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

captainkidd

I don't care how many people flame me, but if you don't understand the disgust some feel towards this, you just don't get Disney. It's a place to escape the real world. Corporate sponsors are one thing. Closing down landmarks to open a chain restaurant is something else.

captainkidd

Well since Disney has had corporate sponsors from day one at Disneyland that would make Walt the first sellout.

Again, having sponsors, I get that. Closing down a landmark restaurant for a chain, crossing the line.

Why not close the Ice Cream Shop and put in a Ben and Jerry's? Or close Victoria and Albert's and put in a Capital Grille?

Father Robinson

There is no indication from Disney that there will be any change at all to the outside of the building. They just finished a lengthy refurb of the outside of the building during the Main Street refurb from this summer. We all know TDO is cheap, really cheap, no way they spend money to refurb the outside of a building if they were going to let a 3rd party vendor come in and change it again 3 months later. Makes no sense. Isn't happening. The exisitng Starbucks at DL have a very small sign that blends completely with the building theme. If your only issue is the look of the outside of the building then you have nothing to worry about IMHO. If you don't like Starbucks coffee or are opposed to Starbucks as a corporation, or are just opposed to change no matter what then you probably do/willhave a problem with it.

I have never been to a Starbucks. But I don't really care of they have a small presence in the MSB, my issue is the facade. But if what you say is correct then it does comfort me a bit.

captainkidd

It's sad. I'm not even so much angry as I am really, really sad. It has been a tradition for us to go to the Bakery every morning we went to the Magic Kingdom and always have a cinnamon roll. It may seem like a silly thing to be upset over (and certainly not the healthiest option), but it was part of what made the Magic Kingdom, and Main Street in particular so special for us. The fact that Disney has made no mention that the items we all love will still be served there makes it pretty obvious that they won't be.

If they want to serve Starbucks coffee, go ahead. I don't drink coffee. Doesn't phase me in the least. But why change the rest of the menu and the look of the establishment?

Yeah, I'm a baby. Whatever. This is a very sad day for me.

awesomeinabox

I am so excited! Seriously I love Starbucks, every cup brings a delightful smile to my face and it tastes way better than Nescafe.

That being said I totally get what people are saying that MSUSA will become a strip mall of sorts, and I know that some people feel the same way about those cinnamon buns as I do my non-fat quad grande caramel machiatto and wouldn't want to take that away. I, however, am optimistic that both the buns and several other things will stay and here is why.

Over the past few years Starbucks Corp has been revamping some of its Seattle stores to fit in with their surroundings, in some places this required changing their names, like 15th Street Coffee & Tea or Roy Street Coffee. I wouldn't be surprised if Starbucks used some of what it learned while revamping these locations in the Main Street one. In moving into these new locations it preserved a lot of the building's integrity and utilized a lot of what was once in the area, for example floors from a local high school and intricate wooden shelving from the previous tenant. I wouldn't be surprised to see some long gone items that are sitting in storage come back as part of the new store.

stevehousse

I love how people over react to this! Coffee at WDW sucks except for at poly resort! I would love to get a nice cup of coffee or a frap at the park! Bringing in an outside company to Main Street is nothing new. All the shops that used to be on Main Street back in the day were run by other companies ad not Disney! So the isn't anything new! I can't wait for it to open!

JustInTime

Yeah, look a the kind pre-packaged garbage we might be getting... ;)

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/...ractical-cafe-in-disney-california-adventure/

DSC06393.jpg

DSC06396.jpg

DSC06397.jpg

Okay, those all look better than what the bakery currently offers. Not gonna lie, I am impressed.

captainkidd

I love how people over react to this! Coffee at WDW sucks except for at poly resort! I would love to get a nice cup of coffee or a frap at the park! Bringing in an outside company to Main Street is nothing new. All the shops that used to be on Main Street back in the day were run by other companies ad not Disney! So the isn't anything new! I can't wait for it to open!

This has nothing to do with coffee.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't care how many people flame me, but if you don't understand the disgust some feel towards this, you just don't get Disney. It's a place to escape the real world. Corporate sponsors are one thing. Closing down landmarks to open a chain restaurant is something else.

No flaming. I understand where you are coming from. I don't want a strip mall version of Starbucks plopped down on Main Street. I don't want to see some giant, gaudy Starbucks sign in the middle of Main Street either. Here is why in my opinion it may not be as bad as you think: Based on the original post and the DL Starbucks location pictures I don't think the giant sign will happen. Yes, they will offer Starbucks coffee and food and the menu will change and the place will not look identical on the inside, but the outside of the building will most likely still look the same. The inside will most likely have some seating and sell some combination of Starbucks and Disney specific foods. The spirit of the bakery will still exist. The employees will not be dressed in Starbucks uniforms, they will still have costumes that fit in to the atmosphere. Probably won't be that much different.

ThankstoMOM

I feel ya. I hate Starbucks and all it stands for! I cant believe this is going to happen. Shame on you Disney. How long til we are looking threw the ''Golden Archs'' into Adventureland. Crappy news for sure

CWDfense

It's sad. I'm not even so much angry as I am really, really sad. It has been a tradition for us to go to the Bakery every morning we went to the Magic Kingdom and always have a cinnamon roll. It may seem like a silly thing to be upset over (and certainly not the healthiest option), but it was part of what made the Magic Kingdom, and Main Street in particular so special for us. The fact that Disney has made no mention that the items we all love will still be served there makes it pretty obvious that they won't be.

If they want to serve Starbucks coffee, go ahead. I don't drink coffee. Doesn't phase me in the least. But why change the rest of the menu and the look of the establishment?

Yeah, I'm a baby. Whatever. This is a very sad day for me.

Agreed 100%. My wife and I and our families have a tradition of stopping at the Bakery leaving MK and having cookies before we go home for the night.

I don't drink coffee and understand people want to have a better product, no problem there. I also don't even mind the corporate aspect of it. But it's these little things that keep happening month after month that lessens the unique experience of Disney. Now, we'll see what it's like when it opens and I'm sure it will fit the theme, but the article makes it sound like it's going to be more like a regular starbucks, rather than how it is at DCA (which I can say from experience, you don't notice it being a Starbucks).

I hate when people complain about things before experiencing it (it drives me nuts on these boards) so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but would like to see the parks keep that uniqueness about them.

MickeyPeace

I understand the concern that the Starbucks deal seems to be more about Starbucks doing Disney rather than Disney doing Starbucks. And thats what had me concerned at first. (I expected Starbucks coffee to be served at certain locations and nothing more)

But we have now seen how this works in DCA. It works very well. I'm sure it will in MK also.

The bakery will still have a turn of the century look, they will still pump out that manufactured scent of baked goods. Only now next to the big Edy's sign out front of the turn of the century looking ice cream parlor and directly across from the Coke sign at Casey's which is adjacent to the Walmarted Emporium you will now find a Starbucks sign.

What I'm saying is-

If you are concerned about the integrity of Main St being destroyed-

Main St is an illusion, it is not real. Outside branding exists all over Main St already and you don't let it bother you. The "old corner store" Emporium is basically an Disney outlet store with retail prices.

Everything is going to be ok.

And if Main St is really about having that sense of comfort and safety, I will get that very feeling when I order my Tazo tea and cinnamon chip scone that I have most mornings in my hometown.

Now can we get back to focusing getting some quality attractions in this park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom