Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

SirLink

Pure and utter insanity. And, guess what? When folks at Disney do their social media reading here and see threads that convince them that fans are over the top and can never be happy, it's threads like this they're reading.

I am just amazed at two things, one is the number of fans who don't drink coffee (apparently, coffee and alcohol are a no go for many in the fan community ... tempted to make a Utah or a Mitt joke, but I won't), and the other is how they all sat back for the past 15 years as MSUSA was totally turned into an outlet mall for the Disney BRAND and didn't say squat, but how this -- an actual improvement --gets ripped. What is with you people?

No problem with the Penny Arcade leaving ... no problem with the Main Street Cinema being replaced with a shop ... no problem with them removing half of Center Street to expand the Emporium, so it could run the length of MSUSA ... no problem with them removing mature trees and replacing them with saplings so you could see a fiberglass castle better ... no problem with them deciding to run the MS vehicles about two hours most days first thing in the morning ... no problem with them removing any/all unique shops ... no problem with them closing the Bank and then turning it into a shop and then closing that and replacing it with ... a package pickup ... no problem with them destroying the Hub at the end of the Street?!?!?

But having a location that will serve higher quality products from Starbucks AS WELL AS many of your bakery favorites next to an Eddy's ice cream location and across from a Coke hot dog stand gets you all hot and bothered.

Say, Spirit what did that celebrity Imagineer tell you in the summer of 2011 over drinks at the DLH about WDW and its problems ... oh yeah, something about its fans being its biggest problem. Yes, said Imagineer was absolutely right.

If with everything going on at WDW, the biggest thing you can complain about is Starbucks moving into the bakery than I'd suggest that Lou Mongello and Tom Corless and Co are right ... WDW has never been better.

I was going to post something about fans sitting back - but felt getting something to eat was far more important than hitting my head off a brick. Please never NEVER leave.

jdmdisney99

Let's put Friendly's in for the ice cream parlor, 7-11 for the confectionary and Kohls in for the clothing shops on Main Street. Really terrible idea. I'm a past employee and go on vacation there all the time and couldn't disagree with this money grabbing decision more. Last thing Disney needed was a Starbucks and if you did want to open one put it in Downtown Disney where many non Disney companies set up shop.
I think Kohl's would be a plus. :p

Why on Earth wouldn't they? Starbucks sells pastries. Seems odd they'd convert the entire shop just for them to serve their coffee.
Not following your logic. Starbucks in DCA sells both Disney pastries and Starbucks pastries. From what was said in the blog it sounds like the one in Magic Kingdom will also sell both Starbucks and Disney pastries. I highly doubt they are going to limit the selection to solely Starbucks.

Magenta Panther

Pure and utter insanity. And, guess what? When folks at Disney do their social media reading here and see threads that convince them that fans are over the top and can never be happy, it's threads like this they're reading.

I am just amazed at two things, one is the number of fans who don't drink coffee (apparently, coffee and alcohol are a no go for many in the fan community ... tempted to make a Utah or a Mitt joke, but I won't), and the other is how they all sat back for the past 15 years as MSUSA was totally turned into an outlet mall for the Disney BRAND and didn't say squat, but how this -- an actual improvement --gets ripped. What is with you people?

No problem with the Penny Arcade leaving ... no problem with the Main Street Cinema being replaced with a shop ... no problem with them removing half of Center Street to expand the Emporium, so it could run the length of MSUSA ... no problem with them removing mature trees and replacing them with saplings so you could see a fiberglass castle better ... no problem with them deciding to run the MS vehicles about two hours most days first thing in the morning ... no problem with them removing any/all unique shops ... no problem with them closing the Bank and then turning it into a shop and then closing that and replacing it with ... a package pickup ... no problem with them destroying the Hub at the end of the Street?!?!?

But having a location that will serve higher quality products from Starbucks AS WELL AS many of your bakery favorites next to an Eddy's ice cream location and across from a Coke hot dog stand gets you all hot and bothered.

Say, Spirit what did that celebrity Imagineer tell you in the summer of 2011 over drinks at the DLH about WDW and its problems ... oh yeah, something about its fans being its biggest problem. Yes, said Imagineer was absolutely right.

If with everything going on at WDW, the biggest thing you can complain about is Starbucks moving into the bakery than I'd suggest that Lou Mongello and Tom Corless and Co are right ... WDW has never been better.

I have to admit that I'm surprised at some of the reactions here...and usually I'm one of the folks yelling when WDW seems to sell out for an easy nickel. Truthfully, I think I would have hated the idea of Starbucks on Main Street too...if I hadn't see the pictures of Fiddler's in DCA. It looks awesome, the name "Starbucks" isn't intrusive in any way and the building itself is beautiful. Surely TDO won't turn Main Street Bakery into a typical-looking Starbucks. Surely it'll retain its charm...

GeneralKnowledge

Why on Earth wouldn't they? Starbucks sells pastries. Seems odd they'd convert the entire shop just for them to serve their coffee.

Disney bakes their existing pastries and serves them all over property. The Main Street Bakery isn't the only place that serves them. Why wouldn't they continue that operation to stock the Bakery with the traditional items they plan on continuing to sell? They are obviously going to have Starbucks make the Starbucks pastries. (Which I'm 150% certain will occur off site and they will be shipped in) It would make no sense to give Starbucks all of their recipes to make Disney pastries when Disney can just continue to make them like they always have. Basically why would Disney continue to make their pastries on site for the other locations that serve them, as well as have Starbucks make them offsite for the Main Street Bakery, just because they're slapping a Starbucks logo on the place. It makes no sense.

theRIOT

Mawg

So I guess since Main Street now has a Starbucks, they should bring the whole street up-to-date. They need a Target or a Walmart, maybe a Subway, a Best Buy would be cool. They should just finish it off and make it into a Strip Mall.

rudyjr13

First thing we did after a week at the World? Stopped at Starbucks on way home. Best Caramel Mocha ever after choking down the coffee there all week. Can't wait for it to be at the parks. Worlds colliding in a good way like Disney buying Lucas Films. They aren't stupid, they won't ruin what's there now on Main Street.

Victor Kelly

Uh, everything is overpriced in a theme park already. Including the coffee. While I hate to see the bakery go and Starbucks take over, we have to deal with it. If they find that the Bakery did better, it will be brought back. Now the rest of Wal-mart street, that needs to be changed. I want my Penny Arcade back!

dopeylover

WHAT?! At first I was very disappointed and upset. Read the article, and I still think it stinks, but at least they're still keeping the theming and some of the favorites.

GeneralKnowledge

From the comments section of the blog post announcing the location:

"Thomas Smith on November 10th, 2012 at 9:51 am
Hi Amy, yes there will be a selection of Disney favorites that you’ve enjoyed at the bakery over the years."
(Probably goes without saying, but the bolding and underlining are from me.)

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...gic-kingdom-park-epcot-set-to-open-next-year/

But this doesn't answer the question about whether or not they will continue to serve a selection of our Disney favorites that we've enjoyed at the bakery over the years! ;)

yankspy

I think the funny thing here is that a lot of people are forgeting that the old MS used to have a lot more corporate branding. Tony's was Oscar Mayer, You also had the camera shop sponsored by polaroid, Edy's was Borden I believe (with a much more prominent sign), Smuckers, etc. Anyone remember the Adventureland Verandah sponsored by Kikoman? I see this as a win. Better coffee than Nescafe. As long as it is themed properly which it will be.

07vanquish

Well this is the news that brought me back here after a pretty long hiatus, it's not that I didn't want to come back; I love this forum. Anyway, pretty disapointing news. It's going to bring alot of people in but the die hard fans aren't going to like it (obviously). In the case of Main Street USA, it may mad been a better idea to just create an area for Starbucks instead of replacing something, especially since the have a tone of room on the second floor. I'm not sure where they could have ideally placed the Starbucks in Epcot.

For the sake of being positive, McD's in the parks was pretty good; the made it fairly subtle and it was a nice alternative. So who knows, maybe they'll pull it off, but like McD's, it'll have to be subtle.

captainkidd

Man I wish I bought stock in Pixie Dust back when I had the chance. Man, are a lot of people snorting way too much.
Of all the things to be upset over. Where's your petition to save Splash Mountain? Every show scene is falling apart. But no, they're going to add a small sponsor logo to the Main St. Bakery.

Splash Mountain is going down for a lengthy refurb in January.

Yeah, a "small sponsor logo". That's why it will be closed for 6 months.:rolleyes:

captainkidd

But this doesn't answer the question about whether or not they will continue to serve a selection of our Disney favorites that we've enjoyed at the bakery over the years! ;)

Just because it says "Disney Favorites", does not mean it will be made the same way or with the same ingredients. It's a coffee shop. Of course they're going to have muffins, bagels, etc. Ever had a cinnamon roll at the Boardwalk Bakery? It's Disney but it's not the same (or nearly as good) as the ones on Main Street.

captainkidd

One thing I have noticed on these forums over time - Whenever a big announcement is made, there are always people who have been here for a while with a very low post count that always seem to show up and bash the people who are against changing the essence of Disney World. Why is that?

captainkidd

Another thing that I think absolutely sucks - It will be operated by Starbucks employees. What happens to the CM's that have worked there, some for years? Shipped off just so Disney can save a few bucks on benefits.

bhg469

This would upset me if the bakery wasn't already a shadow of its former self. Having said that my only true disappointment is that Starbucks coffee is pretty sub par. I'm not as upset at this as I thought I would be. Carry on.

bubbles1812

Another thing that I think absolutely sucks - It will be operated by Starbucks employees. What happens to the CM's that have worked there, some for years? Shipped off just so Disney can save a few bucks on benefits.
Disney has quite a few other shops in their parks fyi... I'm sure the employees will be fine. Heck, maybe Starbucks will hire them since they've worked there... and I'm guessing they would pay much better than the piddly pathetic amount Disney pays their CMS. I understand why you are upset, to a degree, but I think you are taking it overboard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom