Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

njDizFan

I am so ambivalent about this topic, I'm not sure how I feel. My initial reaction was not favorable, it just screams how far they are going towards the mallification of Main Street. On the other hand, isn't WDW just a giant corporate entity with all kinds of existing sponsers. I like Starbuck's coffee but at what cost? Judging by the pictures at DL if done well it's really not that bad and may be an improvement. But it also is just another slap in the face reminder that WDW is not that far from the "real" world.

I don't know, I guess I really have to wait until I arrive at WDW, walk down Main St. and view/feel if for myself.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am utterly disgusted at this news. The Main Street Bakery was my favorite place for a sit down snacks with the Cinnamon Rolls. Just the entire atmosphere. I don't even know how to respond to this without using profanity. I've struggled with my decision to spend so much money at WDW as of late, and this has pushed it over the edge.

How do you think this will change when Starbucks takes over?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This doesn't seem to be a very equally divided issue. It definitely is a majority rules argument. Let's face it, it appears that at least 98% of us don't want this to happen, but it also seems that in that 98% at least half or maybe more would be ok if the facade was left alone. While we may not fancy the idea of a modern coffee bistro residing in one of the buildings of MK, it seems like the bigger issue is (will our view down MSUSA be ruined by a modern day Starbucks jutting out into the sidewalk.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just my perception. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE FACADE WILL CHANGE?

There is no indication from Disney that there will be any change at all to the outside of the building. They just finished a lengthy refurb of the outside of the building during the Main Street refurb from this summer. We all know TDO is cheap, really cheap, no way they spend money to refurb the outside of a building if they were going to let a 3rd party vendor come in and change it again 3 months later. Makes no sense. Isn't happening. The exisitng Starbucks at DL have a very small sign that blends completely with the building theme. If your only issue is the look of the outside of the building then you have nothing to worry about IMHO. If you don't like Starbucks coffee or are opposed to Starbucks as a corporation, or are just opposed to change no matter what then you probably do/willhave a problem with it.

CJR

At first I was excited to hear that Starbucks was coming, but the bakery? Surely the two could have co-existed. Why not place Starbucks in a spot that was typically less popular, but would no doubt work if it were there? Like a certain spot near the entrance of Tomorrowland? The bakery has always been a magical place, it'll be sad to see it become all commercialized.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, a bunch of pre-packaged garbage, not freshly made food.

I just don't know how much more of this crap I can stand. This is the ultimate sell-out.

It may not be too bad. This was posted a few pages back. It is very possible main street will be the same way:

Why would they do it any different than at DCA? The top two rows are for Starbucks items, and the bottom three rows are for Disney treats. You get better coffee and more food choices, and subtle signage inside and out to demarcate an outpost of Starbucks. Everybody wins.

DSC06643-600x450.jpg

We don't know anything for sure, but it may really be pretty similar to the current setup.

SirLink

Yeah, a bunch of pre-packaged garbage, not freshly made food.

I just don't know how much more of this crap I can stand. This is the ultimate sell-out.

Nope not even close Disney buys prepackaged sushi and desserts off property, nope the ultimate sell out was done by Disney themselves - when instead of investing in parks and hotels equally they put more effort into hotel making and let the attractions deteriorate over time.

Look at it this way - at least they have finally decent coffee in the place now!

ryguy

I am cool with Starbucks being on property, would rather see the hotels get them than the parks. By the time I get to the park I have had a coffee already.

captainkidd

If I want a freakin' Starbucks, I'll go down the damn street. It's already been posted on Disney's blog that the menu will change. They will still have "treats", but the current menu is gone.

captainkidd

Nope not even close Disney buys prepackaged sushi and desserts off property, nope the ultimate sell out was done by Disney themselves - when instead of investing in parks and hotels equally they put more effort into hotel making and let the attractions deteriorate over time.

Look at it this way - at least they have finally decent coffee in the place now!

I don't drink coffee. I could care less. I understand, most people do, but this move was nothing more than corporate sell-out.

gccgrad1996

This won't affect me personally, I hate coffee and all that crap that Starbucks sells. But I hate the fact that some franchise company is going to be sitting on main street.

Southern Lady

I went to WDW in1972. Have been there for 14 times since then. There have been a lot of changes, but why should I go a thousand miles to get an over-priced status symbol cup of Coffee. WDW is a Magic place to go where there is something different. Please add something that is different than a Starbucks cafe.

SirLink

I don't drink coffee. I could care less. I understand, most people do, but this move was nothing more than corporate sell-out.

So you do care?

Anyway Disney have been selling out long before the Starbucks deal - at least we will get quality out of it and not crusty day old sushi from Publix?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom