News MagicBand+ comes to Disneyland

CaptinEO

Agreed how about a cheaper, sleeker lightweight version for people only interested in the original functionality and not the twinkling lights? Aka the original bands haha
Right? These are bulky and ugly. I also read they need to be charged daily while the old magic bands lasted years.

Last edited:

Dapale

I also read they need to be charged daily while the old magic bands lasted years
The "main" functionality (scanning into Lightning Lane, park admission, or photopass linking) does not require the battery to be charged. Battery is used for haptics & lighting effects for shows & Batuu Bounty Hunters.

Dapale

Is DLR getting touchpoints?
For park admission & photopass, it looks like they'll using the cast iPhones to tap the band to scan it. For Lightning Lane, it looks like they are using the same machines (afaik RFID scanners were implemented for a while) in addition to the barcode readers for the DL app. I could be wrong about the LL entrances, but that's how it was shown in their marketing material.

GiveMeTheMusic

I may be reading this wrong, and I have also never used MB+ before so there could be something about it that would require MB+, but based on the fact that you can link pre-existing WDW MB+ to the app, what can DIsley do to recognize the difference between the traditional band and MB+? Looking at my past bands on MDE, there doesn’t seem to be a difference in how the different bands look in the system (i.e. Original Magicband vs Magicband 2), so would it still be possible to use MB2 and link it manually using the ID? Not using NFC or a QR is an option for linking MB+, so I’m thinking in theory you could use that as a loophole. I know that’s a lot, but the + looks too clunky for my liking, and I would rather use one with a design I like.

MB2 will not work at DLR. Has to be MB+ (unfortunately).

Phroobar

So when are they going to make the MB+ compatible with the Apple Watch? The Apple Watch could light up and flash and do stupid games too.

Phroobar

The app is $9.99. New faces are $4.99. If you want it to light up during fireworks, it is $.99 each show. If you want to play a game at GE it is $9.95. To use it with Genie+, there is $4.99 surcharge.

Oh course, it is Apple only but that is ok, since most Disney fans are also Apple fans so they are used to the upcharges.

AJFireman

That doesn’t really make sense as the tech is inherently the same. Have they announced that? I may have missed it
This statement was included on the official Disney Parks Blog.

"MagicBand and MagicBand 2 will not be supported at Disneyland Resort at this time."

"At this time" makes me hope its planned for the future. I dont need it to be flashy just want the convenience of using a MB2. They could of easily said its not happening.

MagicHappens1971

"MagicBand and MagicBand 2 will not be supported at Disneyland Resort at this time."

"At this time" makes me hope its planned for the future. I dont need it to be flashy just want the convenience of using a MB2. They could have easily said its not happening.
Yea maybe they just didn’t built in the functionality into the Disneyland app yet, since on the MDE app, the MB+ are on under a different tab

Disney Irish

Premium Member

"At this time" makes me hope its planned for the future. I dont need it to be flashy just want the convenience of using a MB2. They could of easily said its not happening.
Yea maybe they just didn’t built in the functionality into the Disneyland app yet, since on the MDE app, the MB+ are on under a different tab

I could be wrong but I wouldn't hold my breath on that, just my opinion anyways.

Since MB+ is replacing MB/MB2 it wouldn't make much since to support the older bands as DLR never used MB/MB2. Since it requires the guest to have to purchase a new MB+ (ie replace their old MB/MB2) to be able use it at both resorts it accelerates MB/MB2 being phase out.

So the real question will be when will MB/MB2 be phased out completely at WDW. My guess is they will continue to support MB/MB+ based on the life of the bands themselves, so ~5 years after selling the last ones?

MagicHappens1971

I could be wrong but I wouldn't hold my breath on that, just my opinion anyways.

Since MB+ is replacing MB/MB2 it wouldn't make much since to support the older bands as DLR never used MB/MB2. Since it requires the guest to have to purchase a new MB+ (ie replace their old MB/MB2) to be able use it at both resorts it accelerates MB/MB2 being phase out.

So the real question will be when will MB/MB2 be phased out completely at WDW. My guess is they will continue to support MB/MB+ based on the life of the bands themselves, so ~5 years after selling the last ones?
At WDW MB+ is not replacing MB2, it’s just in addition to

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At WDW MB+ is not replacing MB2, it’s just in addition to
That is not the impression that I get based on how Disney is promoting MB+ over MB2. Also if MB+ really was "in addition to", it wouldn't have all the same features as MB2 plus more. If you're saying that MB2 is being sold alongside MB+, I would say only for now, I suspect that is not a long term business plan.

Because:

If I have MB+ why would I need or even want to use MB2 anymore, other than maybe a backup? I suspect most people wouldn't. And then if I'm buying a one for the first time why would I choose MB2 over MB+? I suspect again most people wouldn't.

So really the logical conclusion one can make is that eventually Disney will discontinue MB/MB2 in favor of MB+.

MoonRakerSCM

They're currently testing magic bands in Star wars land. Friday night we observed about 5 or 6 cast members walking around the land with bands seemingly testing the responsiveness to various panels. They were all wandering around and slowly approaching panels while looking at their wrists and watching the band lights turn from green to red. Sometimes they also had their phones in the other hand and were looking at them.

They currently have a field testing room with temporary walls set up next to the land speeder garage.

Our favorite part of the night observing their peculiar routine was when one cm walked up to a panel a little bit past the milk stand and angrily shouted "Oh come on!!!!" before storming off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom