News MagicBand+ comes to Disneyland

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well that was unexpected. Wonder how much it’ll be limited in features since DLR is so different in terms of infrastructure.

I also suspect you may not be able to use DLR MBs at WDW, and vice-versa.

mickEblu

Almost a decade.

For me these would have been cooler when we were still getting paper FPs. They re probably a couple years too late here. So I’ll still have to use my phone to place mobile orders, book Lightning Lane, check wait times, make reservations etc. At the park, they only come in handy for entering the park, returning for Lightning Lane, picking up food and paying for stuff right? Am I missing anything? I guess it’s something but the allure of Magic Band for me was not having to pull out your phone (or wallet.)

To be fair, I don’t have to check wait times on my phone or mobile order but I will as long as restaurants have one register with a long line. My point is the growing need for using your phone at Disneyland has made the Magic Band less appealing.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
For me these would have been cooler when we were still getting paper FPs. They re probably a couple years too late here. So I’ll still have to use my phone to place mobile orders, book Lightning Lane, check wait times, make reservations etc. At the park, they only come in handy for entering the park, returning for Lightning Lane, picking up food and paying for stuff right? Am I missing anything? I guess it’s something but the allure of Magic Band for me was not having to pull out your phone (or wallet.)
I think other than the “collectible” aspect, my opinion is it’s mostly just to get fans to stop asking.

But I guess this shows that Disney is listening about their over-reliance on Smart Phones.

PiratesMansion

Meh. Too late to get excited about it, but a nice option I guess for those who want it. Hopefully there will be some cross-coastal integration so I could use my existing WDW MagicBand.

But yes, @mickEblu, you're able to attach your tickets, photos, credit card for payment, use your pay FP equivalent, etc. on the band.

Not going to lie, there are some nice aspects to it, but I wouldn't pay for one either.

aaronml

This feels like a giant waste of money, that I largely suspect Disney is doing because they think they can sell a lot of MagicBands to DLR guests.

I hope you’ll be able to use all MagicBands at both WDW and DLR, but I’m not optimistic about that given the specificity of this announcement.

aaronml

I will say, it is very likely that MagicMobile will also come to DLR, based on this news. Time will tell though. I’d also expect upgraded turnstiles (or perhaps now “tapstiles”). The big question (IMO) is whether they will go 100% RFID on ticket media (like WDW), or support both paper barcode-based ticket media and RFID tickets.

AJFireman

Highlights from the OCRegister article regarding this announcement.

*Magic Bands from the Walt Disney World resort will work at the Disneyland resort.

*The Magic Bands coming to Disneyland won’t have the same exact functionality as the Disney World Magic Bands. Some features will vary at Disneyland.

mickEblu

I think the Magic Bands will still be worth it for me. You still get to avoid having to pull your phone out at all the checkpoints or registers. All that other stuff you need your phone for can be done on your own time from a park bench.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
"Magicbands are NEVER coming to Disneyland."
- Everyone.

In all seriousness, I expect they will mostly be used for quick access to Lightning Lane and entry to the parks (and maybe purchases). It could signal some additional interactive experiences in the parks, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

When Maxpass came out, Magicbands became less needed, though I'm sure there will be the die-hard fans who will want them for collecting purposes and the "cool" factor. As michEblu said, will it really cause us to have to take our phones out less?

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

I wouldn't count on an increase in efficiency of park entry, though, unless a ton of locals get them. There's ALWAYS a learning curve.

Since an embarrassingly high number of people can't seem to figure out "give your ticket to the CM for them to scan" I don't have a lot of optimism that MBs will make entry any better than it is right now.

mickEblu

"Magicbands are NEVER coming to Disneyland."
- Everyone.

Well I never said that. In fact it looks like I won a debate with a certain poster but I wasn’t trying to pay myself on the back today. Lol.

Anyway, they ll help at registers and check points which is appreciated with two young kids etc. We’ll still have to use our phones though.

DavidDL

I actually really liked the MagicBands when my last trip to WDW. Especially the fun way they were integrated into Test Track and how visually customizable they are. Using them for pretty much everything (having your room key, payment, Fastpass, etc. on your wrist) was nifty, too. Looking forward to this, especially since it finally gives me a reason to break out all the little customizable stuff I bought for them while in WDW. Hopefully I’ll be able to utilize one of my old ones, too!

drizgirl

Meh. Too late to get excited about it, but a nice option I guess for those who want it. Hopefully there will be some cross-coastal integration so I could use my existing WDW MagicBand.

But yes, @mickEblu, you're able to attach your tickets, photos, credit card for payment, use your pay FP equivalent, etc. on the band.

Not going to lie, there are some nice aspects to it, but I wouldn't pay for one either.
Except at WDW you have to be staying onsite to attach a CC. Not nearly as many people stay onsite at DLR. So it will be interesting to see if this is different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom