News MagicBand+ comes to Disneyland

MagicHappens1971

They're currently testing magic bands in Star wars land. Friday night we observed about 5 or 6 cast members walking around the land with bands seemingly testing the responsiveness to various panels. They were all wandering around and slowly approaching panels while looking at their wrists and watching the band lights turn from green to red. Sometimes they also had their phones in the other hand and were looking at them.

They currently have a field testing room with temporary walls set up next to the land speeder garage.

Our favorite part of the night observing their peculiar routine was when one cm walked up to a panel a little bit past the milk stand and angrily shouted "Oh come on!!!!" before storming off.
This is for the Bounty Hunters game

waltography

On the eve of MB+ soft launching at DLR, wanted to share a video I saw of CMs getting to preview the bands synced to WoC:

And right off the bat, it showcases poor UX in that in order to "enjoy" the lights on your band along with the show, you have to hold your hand in what looks to be a pretty uncomfortable position for the entire time. Timing/lag also appears to be an issue based on the small sample size of 4 in the video.

It does make me wish the Glow with the Show ears took off, because at least that looked stunning when in a crowd.

mickEblu

On the eve of MB+ soft launching at DLR, wanted to share a video I saw of CMs getting to preview the bands synced to WoC:

And right off the bat, it showcases poor UX in that in order to "enjoy" the lights on your band along with the show, you have to hold your hand in what looks to be a pretty uncomfortable position for the entire time. Timing/lag also appears to be an issue based on the small sample size of 4 in the video.

It does make me wish the Glow with the Show ears took off, because at least that looked stunning when in a crowd.

Well wouldn’t the point more be to see everyone else’s bracelets light up in the crowd if enough people are wearing them?

Speaking of Magic Band + I saw all of the designs on a Rat Chat article and I’m not really crazy about any of them.

waltography

Well wouldn’t the point more be to see everyone else’s bracelets light up in the crowd if enough people are wearing them?

Speaking of Magic Band + I saw all of the designs on a Rat Chat article and I’m not really crazy about any of them.
I've seen great use of light-up bracelets in concerts, but three key differences are:
  1. The bracelets at concerts aren't advertised as something you're supposed to look at per se, which is the opposite of how Disney has marketed MB+
  2. The LEDs on concert bracelets are really bright (especially because they're often encased in some sort of diffusing material), whereas these bands barely seem to even cast a light on the owner's wrist
  3. The reason you can see them in concerts and they make such a good impression is there's a portion of the audience that is typically facing you or askew from you so you can see everyone with the bracelets en masse.
Thinking it through more, I think this does mean this could be pretty cool to see in Fantasmic! since you can at least see folks across the river, but that hinges on wide MB+ adoption.

Also I agree; had I not gotten the plain black MB+ during a sale on shopDisney, the only one I'd consider getting is maybe the gold and black Disneyland D band. The other ones are not great (and the first visit band in particular is really odd design for a band meant to be reused for future visits).

waltography

And just like that, MagicBand+ is live.

1666165839696.png

mickEblu

I've seen great use of light-up bracelets in concerts, but three key differences are:
  1. The bracelets at concerts aren't advertised as something you're supposed to look at per se, which is the opposite of how Disney has marketed MB+
  2. The LEDs on concert bracelets are really bright (especially because they're often encased in some sort of diffusing material), whereas these bands barely seem to even cast a light on the owner's wrist
  3. The reason you can see them in concerts and they make such a good impression is there's a portion of the audience that is typically facing you or askew from you so you can see everyone with the bracelets en masse.
Thinking it through more, I think this does mean this could be pretty cool to see in Fantasmic! since you can at least see folks across the river, but that hinges on wide MB+ adoption.

Also I agree; had I not gotten the plain black MB+ during a sale on shopDisney, the only one I'd consider getting is maybe the gold and black Disneyland D band. The other ones are not great (and the first visit band in particular is really odd design for a band meant to be reused for future visits).

Lol yes! Thanks for pointing that out. I was also scratching my head with the First visit band.

DrAlice

This is just laughable. Disney: "Don't watch this spectacular show we've created! Stare at your blinking wrist instead!"

Oh Disney... what exactly is going on in those executive offices these days??

CaptinEO

This is just laughable. Disney: "Don't watch this spectacular show we've created! Stare at your blinking wrist instead!"

Oh Disney... what exactly is going on in those executive offices these days??
Wow so silly you need to hold it in a certain pose for it to work.

Magic Bands are nice in Disney World because they open hotel room doors, and were meant for using fastpasses booked in advance (no cell phone booking). They even link to photopass photographers and some rides link photos from your seat without you having to do a thing.

I'm not even old and I don't want a light up toy on my hand. The old ones are non bulky and don't look like a kids toy.

mickEblu

This so far is the only design (non plain Black or Navy) I like but it looks like they re not selling it at DL or may be a WDW exclusive.

F8DC7A1E-D38A-4495-B910-8BD960A749B1.jpeg

waltography

This so far is the only design (non plain Black or Navy) I like but it looks like they re not selling it at DL or may be a WDW exclusive.

View attachment 673638
Pretty good! Is that rainbow design printed on or is it holographic?

Does anyone actually still wear a regular watch for anything other than as a fashion accessory? I mean I haven't wore a watch regularly in like 20 years.
Me! Pretty much everyone I know has an Apple watch, so I don't think the watch as a tool is dead quite yet.

mickEblu

This makes me want to dig out my old Swatch watches again.

At least those tell me what time it is. :p

Even if I was in the market for one of these right now I’d hold off for some better designs. Or like where is the Talking Skull MagicBand? Or the Hitchhiking Ghosts MagicBand? You know that stuff is coming. I feel like they re starting the collection with more generic stuff and will slowly release more signature stuff later. And by then you ll probably be able to use them to pay for stuff too.
Pretty good! Is that rainbow design printed on or is it holographic?

Me! Pretty much everyone I know has an Apple watch, so I don't think the watch as a tool is dead quite yet.

I believe it’s just printed on. I’ve never seen one in person.

SuddenStorm

*raises hand*

Saves my phone battery of looking at it constantly to check the time.

I love watches as fashion accessories, too. :) But again, my fashion sense (and budget) leans towards Disney not Rolex. :D

There are some pretty expensive Disney watches if that's what you like. Heck, they sell some Bulova Disney pieces on Main Street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom