News MagicBand+ comes to Disneyland

drizgirl

So if the MB+ was setup for payment, does that mean someone can walk through Disneyland scanning them for credit card info? It is like walking around with your credit card unshielded. You know Disney will forget all about security.
At WDW you can only use MB for payment if you are staying onsite. Have they said it will be for all at DLR?

truecoat

So you stake out a great place to watch fireworks but then everyone in front of you is holding up their arms? Such a genius idea. Maybe I can film it with my phone and never watch it again like every other person.

CaptinEO

I see these being such a big failure here. Disney being greedy and only allowing the silly light up version to be linked at Disneyland is idiotic. I'm someone who wanted Magic Bands at DL too, but not with only half the features and double the price (and 10 years late).

The tech isn't even impressive anymore, I don't know why this implementation was so poorly planned. In 2018 they had all the readers for magic band set up when they implemented Max Pass. Apple Pay and Google Wallet was unofficially working at their registers for about a month. What took them 4 additional years to start this?

drizgirl

I see these being such a big failure here. Disney being greedy and only allowing the silly light up version to be linked at Disneyland is idiotic. I'm someone who wanted Magic Bands at DL too, but not with only half the features and double the price (and 10 years late).

The tech isn't even impressive anymore, I don't know why this implementation was so poorly planned. In 2018 they had all the readers for magic band set up when they implemented Max Pass. Apple Pay and Google Wallet was unofficially working at their registers for about a month. What took them 4 additional years to start this?
What features were you hoping for?

CaptinEO

What features were you hoping for?
Automated ride photo linking from the attraction, hotel entry, wireless payments, mobile order pick up.

You should be able to go up to a kiosk in a counter service restaurant and order using your magic band or credit card IMO.

Any ride integration would be a plus. What ever happened to that whole "smugglers run score will follow you throughout the land" thing?

Disney World they are used to carry Test Track designs for example.

drizgirl

Automated ride photo linking from the attraction, hotel entry, wireless payments, mobile order pick up.

You should be able to go up to a kiosk in a counter service restaurant and order using your magic band or credit card IMO.

Any ride integration would be a plus. What ever happened to that whole "smugglers run score will follow you throughout the land" thing?

You mean it isn't even going to work at the 3 onsite hotels to open doors? No ride photos sucks.

Sounds like a "glow with the show" deal on your wrist.

CaptinEO

You mean it isn't even going to work at the 3 onsite hotels to open doors? No ride photos sucks.

Sounds like a "glow with the show" deal on your wrist.
Its just glow with the show plus genie+ entry, park entry, and photographer photopass. And you still need to book genie plus rides on your phone.

With Disney Worlds preplanned fastpass days the magic bands allowed you to never need a phone.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
This so far is the only design (non plain Black or Navy) I like but it looks like they re not selling it at DL or may be a WDW exclusive.

View attachment 673638

Looks like that one should be available this week at Disneyland, according to the stories on Disneyland's Instagram -

IMG_13925D8A565B-1 2.jpeg

mickEblu

Looks like that one should be available this week at Disneyland, according to the stories on Disneyland's Instagram -

View attachment 677195

Nice! Thanks for the update. I can take it off my eBay watch list haha. Although every time I go to the park I’m finding that I want one of these less and less. I might have passed the FOMO phase of tapping one of those tap-styles.

waltography

Nice! Thanks for the update. I can take it off my eBay watch list haha. Although every time I go to the park I’m finding that I want one of these less and less. I might have passed the FOMO phase of tapping one of those tap-styles.
There's simply no value right now. Doesn't look like they're selling all that well either; they've devoted so much square footage to them but I rarely see people looking at the bands and I don't see many people wearing them in the parks either.

mickEblu

There's simply no value right now. Doesn't look like they're selling all that well either; they've devoted so much square footage to them but I rarely see people looking at the bands and I don't see many people wearing them in the parks either.

Yeah they re going to have to add some real value quickly. But what can they do? Add more games like bounty hunter? Add the capability to pay for stuff? The latter isn’t really a huge game changer as we’re all mobile ordering anyway.

waltography

Yeah they re going to have to add some real value quickly. But what can they do? Add more games like bounty hunter? Add the capability to pay for stuff? The latter isn’t really a huge game changer as we’re all mobile ordering anyway.
More embedded in-park experiences that are different from the bounty hunter game cycle. I'm imagining something like activation points for gags in Toontown, personalized goodbyes in Small World, some kind of Avengers Campus mission, etc. Also in terms of quality of life, adding touchpoint at PhotoPass exits to redeem photos.

If they really wanted to sell the vision of IoT at Disney, expand on the playDisney tech to log when someone rides an attraction and create an end of year Spotify Wrapped-esque experience. Disney Parks fans who are active on social media would go feral for that.

Heppenheimer

I haven't been following this thread too closely, so if Disneyland's Magic Bands don't work for payment or hotel entry, and I still need to use my phone for Genie, what's the point other than Bob Chapek likes more money?

freebird72

I was at the parks this weekend, and we bought magic bands and used them. They are useful for park entry and for scanning into the Lightning Lane entrance. I didn't realize how much I was worrying about my phone and keeping the screen on to scan in when it was my turn--and it was nice to not have to mess with it at those times. But without the other functions that magic bands have at WDW (hotel entry, payment, and photo pass), I don't think they are worth it right now.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Three Disneyland MagicBand+ styles offered in the parks are now on shopDisney -

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 6.48.13 PM.png

Gillyanne

I have a question about the cross compatibility.

In my attempt to get things set up for our Disneyland trip in a few months, I wanted to link my MB+ to my DL account. Yesterday I was able to link my 50th Castle one up just fine. This one was purchased off the rack.

Today (after charging) I tried to pair my Partner's Statue one and am getting an error (NFC = "Something went wrong, we're unable to load your details, please try again; typing it in = "We had trouble linking the code you entered, Please try again"), I tried one of my mom's on her account/app and got the same error.

The 2 MB+ not currently working are ones we got as part of a WDW reservation; does the cross compatibility only work with rack bands, or is there just an issue with the system this morning?

I also noticed when I linked my first one, I did select a ticket, so is it different than WDW in that you do assign a ticket to a band, and not that it just looks at the profile?

CaptinEO

I have a question about the cross compatibility.

In my attempt to get things set up for our Disneyland trip in a few months, I wanted to link my MB+ to my DL account. Yesterday I was able to link my 50th Castle one up just fine. This one was purchased off the rack.

Today (after charging) I tried to pair my Partner's Statue one and am getting an error (NFC = "Something went wrong, we're unable to load your details, please try again; typing it in = "We had trouble linking the code you entered, Please try again"), I tried one of my mom's on her account/app and got the same error.

The 2 MB+ not currently working are ones we got as part of a WDW reservation; does the cross compatibility only work with rack bands, or is there just an issue with the system this morning?

I also noticed when I linked my first one, I did select a ticket, so is it different than WDW in that you do assign a ticket to a band, and not that it just looks at the profile?
I've had trouble linking bands for World (not land) and used the Customer Chat to have someone fix it.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I'm pretty sure a MB+ is a MB+ no matter where you get it from and all would just have their own unique RFID identification numbers.

Yes, Disneyland accounts are different than WDW accounts. There's only one person tied to a DL account and then you can link tickets to that account, but you can't just add additional profiles to your account without tickets like you can for WDW. So likewise, at DL, Magic Bands are tied to tickets, not profiles.

For example, I linked two bands to tickets for a trip I took last April. Now that the trip is over, when I look at the bands in my app, it's asking me to link the bands to tickets:

1692989429717.png

When I purchase tickets for my next trip, I can then tie the bands to those new tickets.

It really comes down to how you want to manage tickets/bands. Every ticket holder can have their own account and manage it themselves (as well as their Genie+ reservations) or you can link everyone's ticket to one account and manage everything from that account from MB's to Genie+ reservations. I prefer that because when you book lightning lanes you can group people together to guarantee the same return times.

If at the end of the day you still can't get your bands linked to tickets, then as CaptainEO said above, go to customer support by calling or through chat on the website/app. It MIGHT be possible certain MagicBand IDs aren't recognizable in the DL system, or you just have to wait until tickets are linked to your account and then you can link the bands to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom