News MagicBand+ comes to Disneyland

CaptinEO

Probably makes sense from their end, but I'm definitely not buying a brand new MagicBand (when the one I got was free) just so I can use it at Disneyland where it might sometimes be helpful.

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network
I agree. I have a few bands from Disneyworld and it's stupid to force people to buy these ugly light up ones.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
As a WDW regular (and someone who would like to have the magicbands in place by the time i travel in December), what infrastructure improvements need to be made to the resort in two and a half months? I remember from my trip in March 20 that DLHdidn’t have RFID card readers on the doors, but I’m not sure if that has since changed. In addition, do the the turnstiles have the ability to use RFID with the cast member readers? I went to WDW a good bit from 2011-14 during the change over to MM+ tech, and it took all of three years to get rolled out. As someone who has only been to Disneyland 2x, I am simply not sure about their ability to make a change in a couple of months that took Florida years? I know that there is more technology in California than Disney World had prior to the change over 10 years ago, but does anyone else share my concern?

Phroobar

As a WDW regular (and someone who would like to have the magicbands in place by the time i travel in December), what infrastructure improvements need to be made to the resort in two and a half months? I remember from my trip in March 20 that DLHdidn’t have RFID card readers on the doors, but I’m not sure if that has since changed. In addition, do the the turnstiles have the ability to use RFID with the cast member readers? I went to WDW a good bit from 2011-14 during the change over to MM+ tech, and it took all of three years to get rolled out. As someone who has only been to Disneyland 2x, I am simply not sure about their ability to make a change in a couple of months that took Florida years? I know that there is more technology in California than Disney World had prior to the change over 10 years ago, but does anyone else share my concern?
The old Disneyland team could have done it in a couple of months. Now since they are under Florida's management team it will take years.

GiveMeTheMusic

MagicBands here won't open hotel room doors or be a form of payment. They will only work for park entry, PhotoPass, Lightning Lane, and games/light up shows.

Phroobar

MagicBands here won't open hotel room doors or be a form of payment. They will only work for park entry, PhotoPass, Lightning Lane, and games/light up shows.
Of course they could do what every other hotel/resort does and let you use your phone or just give you a RFID card.
Disney always has to make things complicated.

lazyboy97o

Of course they could do what every other hotel/resort does and let you use your phone or just give you a RFID card.
Disney always has to make things complicated.
Not offering this and MagicBand functionality is simply ridiculous. The reason so many hotels companies were able to roll this out is because the technology is not proprietary to each hotel company but part of the door hardware purchased from the manufacturers. Recognizing how much technology changes, many hotel locks are also upgradable so that items like the RFID and Bluetooth modules can be swapped out without replacing the entire lockset.

Phroobar

Not offering this and MagicBand functionality is simply ridiculous. The reason so many hotels companies were able to roll this out is because the technology is not proprietary to each hotel company but part of the door hardware purchased from the manufacturers. Recognizing how much technology changes, many hotel locks are also upgradable so that items like the RFID and Bluetooth modules can be swapped out without replacing the entire lockset.
We just added bluetooth modules to the church building locks. Authorized people use their phone to unlock it. It's pretty reliable. I can even open the building remotely from the web. Why does Disney have to make everything so complicated.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I was on the fence. Not having it work for payments makes it a No-Go for me.
And everyone was wondering why I was so against this coming here for a long time. Knowing full well that Disney wasn't going to offer even half of the features that MBs have in WDW, all because DLR is different and doesn't need them. I might try to be positive for most things that Disney offers, but this one is just not one of those things.

mickEblu

And everyone was wondering why I was so against this coming here for a long time. Knowing full well that Disney wasn't going to offer even half of the features that MBs have in WDW, all because DLR is different and doesn't need them. I might try to be positive for most things that Disney offers, but this one is just not one of those things.

No first and foremost I believe you said it was NOT coming. Lol

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No first and foremost I believe you said it was NOT coming. Lol
I said I thought it wouldn't be coming because of how DLR is setup, ie primarily a locals park with lack of hotel inventory, that there wasn't enough features they could offer to make it worth it.

Obviously I was wrong about them not bringing it here, but completely right about the lack of features.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"MagicBand+ will make its momentous West Coast debut when it launches at the Disneyland Resort on Oct. 26, 2022. This marks a huge milestone in resort history, as you’ll soon discover for the very first time how this wearable technology will enhance your experience and unlock a new dimension of Disney storytelling at the Happiest Place on Earth.

Eligible cast members, Magic Key holders and Disney Vacation Club members will have the opportunity to be among the first to purchase MagicBand+ at the Disneyland Resort from select locations and get a first look at its features before the official launch! Starting Oct. 19, select merchandise locations around the Disneyland Resort will have MagicBand+ available for purchase with the presentation of a valid photo ID plus a valid company-issued ID, Disney Vacation Club membership or Magic Key pass. From there, you’ll be able to set up your band and try it out in the parks (valid park admission and reservation required)!"

Beginning Oct. 26, MagicBand+ will be available for all guests to purchase at the following locations:

Downtown Disney District: World of Disney, Disney’s Pin Traders
Disneyland park: Emporium, Pioneer Mercantile, Tomorrow Landing (reopening Oct. 26)
Disney California Adventure park: Elias & Co., Trolley Treats, Oswald’s, Seaside Souvenirs
Hotels of the Disneyland Resort: Disney’s Fantasia Shop, Mickey in Paradise, Acorns Gifts & Goods

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
"MagicBand+ will make its momentous West Coast debut when it launches at the Disneyland Resort on Oct. 26, 2022. This marks a huge milestone in resort history, as you’ll soon discover for the very first time how this wearable technology will enhance your experience and unlock a new dimension of Disney storytelling at the Happiest Place on Earth.

Eligible cast members, Magic Key holders and Disney Vacation Club members will have the opportunity to be among the first to purchase MagicBand+ at the Disneyland Resort from select locations and get a first look at its features before the official launch! Starting Oct. 19, select merchandise locations around the Disneyland Resort will have MagicBand+ available for purchase with the presentation of a valid photo ID plus a valid company-issued ID, Disney Vacation Club membership or Magic Key pass. From there, you’ll be able to set up your band and try it out in the parks (valid park admission and reservation required)!"

Beginning Oct. 26, MagicBand+ will be available for all guests to purchase at the following locations:

Downtown Disney District: World of Disney, Disney’s Pin Traders
Disneyland park: Emporium, Pioneer Mercantile, Tomorrow Landing (reopening Oct. 26)
Disney California Adventure park: Elias & Co., Trolley Treats, Oswald’s, Seaside Souvenirs
Hotels of the Disneyland Resort: Disney’s Fantasia Shop, Mickey in Paradise, Acorns Gifts & Goods

I may be reading this wrong, and I have also never used MB+ before so there could be something about it that would require MB+, but based on the fact that you can link pre-existing WDW MB+ to the app, what can DIsley do to recognize the difference between the traditional band and MB+? Looking at my past bands on MDE, there doesn’t seem to be a difference in how the different bands look in the system (i.e. Original Magicband vs Magicband 2), so would it still be possible to use MB2 and link it manually using the ID? Not using NFC or a QR is an option for linking MB+, so I’m thinking in theory you could use that as a loophole. I know that’s a lot, but the + looks too clunky for my liking, and I would rather use one with a design I like.

mickEblu

I may be reading this wrong, and I have also never used MB+ before so there could be something about it that would require MB+, but based on the fact that you can link pre-existing WDW MB+ to the app, what can DIsley do to recognize the difference between the traditional band and MB+? Looking at my past bands on MDE, there doesn’t seem to be a difference in how the different bands look in the system (i.e. Original Magicband vs Magicband 2), so would it still be possible to use MB2 and link it manually using the ID? Not using NFC or a QR is an option for linking MB+, so I’m thinking in theory you could use that as a loophole. I know that’s a lot, but the + looks too clunky for my liking, and I would rather use one with a design I like.

Agreed how about a cheaper, sleeker lightweight version for people only interested in the original functionality and not the twinkling lights? Aka the original bands haha

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Agreed how about a cheaper, sleeker lightweight version for people only interested in the original functionality and not the twinkling lights? Aka the original bands haha
I think someone should try and link a old “let the memories begin” KTTW, just out of spite.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Saw a mom and son yesterday in Galaxy’s Edge wearing Magicbands trying to touch them on doors. I guess they didn’t know they don’t work here yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom