News MagicBand+ comes to Disneyland

aaronml

All I want is MagicMobile that they have in Florida.

Is that too much to ask?
I would be surprised if they brought MagicMobile to DLR. Mainly because they can use the inconvenience of scanning the barcode from the app to help fuel MB+ sales.

It technically wouldn’t be too much work to support AFAIK but I’d be surprised if current leadership were to do that.

Newtwo

I would be surprised if they brought MagicMobile to DLR. Mainly because they can use the inconvenience of scanning the barcode from the app to help fuel MB+ sales.

It technically wouldn’t be too much work to support AFAIK but I’d be surprised if current leadership were to do that.
I agree. I don't think it will come here (at least for a year or two) in order to make people buy Magic Bands.

PiratesMansion

Does this magic band plus play musical Disney Melodies after I flush the toilet or vibrate if I forget to wash my hands?
Indeed, it will play "Little April Shower" immediately after flushing to remind you to wash your hands.

Unless Disney decides it would rather have you buy a churro or book a Genie+, at which point it will begin playing "Heigh Ho" or "You're Late! You're Late! For a very important date!" depending on the situation.

In entirely coincidental news, Disney's internal studies show that as a result of their targeted "hurry up" prompts, the number of men in the restroom who wash their hands subsequently dipped to an average of 5 men per hour from its previous standard average of 8 per hour.

DrAlice

Am I understanding this thing correctly?

MagicBand:
* Park entrance gates
* LL entrances
* Photopass links to account
* blinky lights and vibrations at select nighttime shows
* play a game in GE (requires phone too)

Cell phone:
* make your LL reservations
* mobile order

If this is all it is at this point, I don't see the benefit for me. I don't care if I light up during a show. I won't play the GE game. If I have to take out my phone to make LL reservations throughout the day, I'll just use it to go to the entrances. Unless this is dirt cheap (highly doubtful), it's a Meh from me. Maybe I'm missing something?

I agree that if many others use it, it will make entrance into the park and LL entrances go more smoothly. I'd just need more from this thing to make it worth something for me.

mickEblu

MagicBand:
* Park entrance gates
* LL entrances

Cell phone:
* mobile order

If this is all it is at this point, I don't see the benefit for me. I don't care if I light up during a show. I won't play the GE game. If I have to take out my phone to make LL reservations throughout the day, I'll just use it to go to the entrances. Unless this is dirt cheap (highly doubtful), it's a Meh from me. Maybe I'm missing something?

I agree that if many others use it, it will make entrance into the park and LL entrances go more smoothly. I'd just need more from this thing to make it worth something for me.

I believe they can also scan the Magic Band for the Magic Key discount but you still have to take out a form of payment and this probably doesn’t apply to you anyway. Haha

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

MagicBand:
* Park entrance gates
* LL entrances

Cell phone:
* mobile order

That about covers it.

If they are using the same bands as WDW (which I'm sure they are), this is what they go for:

I'm sure they will be fashion accessories for many people.

Consumer

This just reminded me about the Glow with the Show ears. Do they still sell these? I don't recall ever actually seeing them in the parks since when they debuted nearly 10 years ago.
1663807369403.png

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
This just reminded me about the Glow with the Show ears. Do they still sell these? I don't recall ever actually seeing them in the parks since when they debuted nearly 10 years ago.View attachment 668309
I mentioned that earlier. I think they were called "Made with Magic". There were ears, wands, and Mickey hands. I seem to remember them working for all of the 60th shows, but maybe they came later?

PiratesMansion

The bands ARE easier to fumble with than tickets or phones, so if they're compatible I may start bringing my ancient WDW MB over.

They just need to attach payment functionality for all guests using the bands, not just those staying at Disney resorts. It's not like they don't ALREADY have a stored credit card on many of their guest Disney accounts.

waltography

...I agree that if many others use it, it will make entrance into the park and LL entrances go more smoothly. I'd just need more from this thing to make it worth something for me.
They'll make it worth more for you by inconveniencing you with what the free options used to be.

For example, using the phone for LL entrances wasn't so bad before; typically you could stick your phone into the reader and swipe quickly and it would register super fast. Now, you have to pull your phone out entirely and stick it back in for the machine to register each new pass, adding at least a minute for each party. No explanation why it works this way now and it's frustrating.

I mentioned that earlier. I think they were called "Made with Magic". There were ears, wands, and Mickey hands. I seem to remember them working for all of the 60th shows, but maybe they came later?
There was an attempt for the 60th to reignite interest in that line (I remember there being paint brush-shaped light wands so you could glow with Paint the Night), but it didn't catch on.

AJFireman

The bands ARE easier to fumble with than tickets or phones, so if they're compatible I may start bringing my ancient WDW MB over.
I was hoping as well to use my older bands but the announcement on Disney Parks blog says they will not be supported but did add "at this time" so maybe there is hope.

"MagicBand and MagicBand 2 will not be supported at Disneyland Resort at this time."

TP2000

MagicBand:
* Park entrance gates
* LL entrances

Cell phone:
* mobile order

Thank you for this succinct summary. I was trying to figure it out in my pea-sized brain, and it was too hard to do; even dead sober as I am on a Friday night (which is no way to live!).

If this is all it is at this point, I don't see the benefit for me.

No kidding. I don't get it. Why all the bother? Why all the expense of all that infrastructure and huge energy resources of humans and electricity to keep it all going? It's still just a freaking theme park.

I don't care if I light up during a show.

God no. Who does care about that feature? Maybe narcissistic 8 year olds? Or desperately bored housewives whose husband's stopped paying attention to them in 2006? The mind boggles who this silly feature actually entertains during a theme park water show.

I won't play the GE game.

Me either. The big Billion dollar land isn't entertaining on its own? We need iPhone video games to keep us entertained there? I would much rather engage Ky'le From Tustin in an immersive discussion about the wild keg party he attended last weekend on the Planet Fullerton, just like Bob Chapek told me to do.

If I have to take out my phone to make LL reservations throughout the day, I'll just use it to go to the entrances. Unless this is dirt cheap (highly doubtful), it's a Meh from me. Maybe I'm missing something?

I don't think you are missing anything, my dear Doctor and lady. 🧐

You just need to get 75,000 to 100,000 humans from around the planet (and even some western Canadian provinces!) arriving daily in the Esplanade to figure it all out and do it all the same. Then it's perfect.

In the meantime? This is one of those things that looked fabulous on the PowerPoint screen in TDA. But in reality, in that pesky theme park south of TDA, it fails to live up to the PowerPoint promise.

As per usual, for an organization whose executive leadership rarely, if ever, uses their own product. :rolleyes:

PiratesMansion

I was hoping as well to use my older bands but the announcement on Disney Parks blog says they will not be supported but did add "at this time" so maybe there is hope.

"MagicBand and MagicBand 2 will not be supported at Disneyland Resort at this time."
Probably makes sense from their end, but I'm definitely not buying a brand new MagicBand (when the one I got was free) just so I can use it at Disneyland where it might sometimes be helpful.

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom