News MagicBand+ comes to Disneyland

Californian Elitist

Same. And I'm opposed to Smart Watches.

It's nice not having to pull out my phone for everything.
Exactly. I was just talking to a co-worker today about human beings’ sheer reliance on technology for so many things. I mentioned the luxury of having GPS on the phone, but if I was ever on the road somewhere I’ve never been and my phone stopped working for whatever reason, I would be screwed because I don’t know how to read a map. There’s give and take.

I find my dad’s Apple Watch to be quite annoying. It’s loud.

SuddenStorm

Exactly. I was just talking to a co-worker today about human beings’ sheer reliance on technology for so many things. I mentioned the luxury of having GPS on the phone, but if I was ever on the road somewhere I’ve never been and my phone stopped working for whatever reason, I would be screwed because I don’t know how to read a map. There’s give and take.

I find my dad’s Apple Watch to be quite annoying. It’s loud.

The only benefit to smart watches that would make me consider one in the future is the heart rate monitor... I've heard stories of them detecting heart attacks and prompting the wearer to get to the Emergency Room ASAP.

Otherwise, I've been slowly deleting apps and trying to rely less on my phone. I'm also starting to play with setting my phone on DND at certain times of the day, in an effort to not always be accessible. Smart watches are the antithesis of this way of life- they make you instantly accessible and always plugged in. I also think they're kind of rude- I've found people far more often check their smart watch during conversation or in settings where checking a phone isn't socially acceptable.

waltography

When the vloggers aren’t even recommending MagicBand + that’s a bad sign. Lol
The infrastructure doesn't exist in DL to justify the existence yet. The day we get tap turnstiles and tap to pay is the day MB+ makes itself worthwhile for the vast majority of parkgoers. Truthfully, I'm not expecting any of that anytime soon (although I'm half-hoping that we see some MB+ experiences in Toontown similar to Super Nintendo World; if you want true buy-in, paywall effects that were once free in the land).

Despite this, I suspect MB+ will still be pretty popular in the Keyholder crowd.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well I suspect most of the Vloggers are locals. And like the opinion I had originally, most locals I've heard never thought MBs were needed at DLR. So its not surprising when MB+ doesn't have some of the better features like tap-to-pay at DLR that they aren't recommending it.

One just has to hope this is just Phase 1 and that Phase 2 with additional features will come soon.

That being said I'll get one during my trip over Halloween and try it out.

mickEblu

The infrastructure doesn't exist in DL to justify the existence yet. The day we get tap turnstiles and tap to pay is the day MB+ makes itself worthwhile for the vast majority of parkgoers. Truthfully, I'm not expecting any of that anytime soon (although I'm half-hoping that we see some MB+ experiences in Toontown similar to Super Nintendo World; if you want true buy-in, paywall effects that were once free in the land).

Despite this, I suspect MB+ will still be pretty popular in the Keyholder crowd.

I agree the infrastructure isn’t set up for it here which is why after all my mental gymnastics to justify buying one I came to the conclusion that we’re trying to make the band the phone except it’s not as convenient and you’ll still have to use your phone anyway. At WDW with all the tap turnstiles it made all the sense in the world especially pre app and mobile order. But here it’s more of a new shiny toy that isn’t all that helpful. Now what would be really cool is Family Magic Band that I can link everyone’s ticket on.

Even after they eventually set it up so we can use the bands to pay they’ve already trained us to mobile order everything so even that’s not a big perk. For me it would just come in to play when buying merch mostly.

mickEblu

Well I suspect most of the Vloggers are locals. And like the opinion I had originally, most locals I've heard never thought MBs were needed at DLR. So its not surprising when MB+ doesn't have some of the better features like tap-to-pay at DLR that they aren't recommending it.

One just has to hope this is just Phase 1 and that Phase 2 with additional features will come soon.

That being said I'll get one during my trip over Halloween and try it out.

Yeah they re all locals but they usually gush over everything. Right now the MagicBands are just a shiny new toy for locals. I’m probably at least a couple useful features away from buying one but even then the biggest update they can make is giving us the ability to purchase but I buy most of my food with mobile order anyway. With all of that said, the biggest reason it doesn’t appeal to me is the fact that I’m usually handling tickets for park entry, lighting lanes, child switches etc for my family (and extended casual guest family) on my phone. It’s just not as convenient to have to wrangle everyone’s wrists. This works better for groups of adults, key holders or just families with older children.

I literally WANT to give them my money for one but just can’t right now because it’s not there yet. Not for me and my family anyway. Love the concept but the app kind of made them obsolete.

Last edited:

DrAlice

I still wear a watch. It's a fitness watch to count steps and monitor heart rate during workouts.

After watching a couple of vloggers demonstrate the magic bands, I'm not interested. I still would have to pull out my phone to make lightning lane reservations and for mobile food order, so this thing is just redundant and a waste of money. If I can't at least load the thing with some money to buy lunch or a souveneir, then it just isn't worth it to me. And you might have to charge it during the day? Nope. I'm out.

I think they made sense at WDW when they had ride reservations that you made BEFORE entering the park. Even now, WDW resort guests can use them as a hotel room key and can charge things to their hotel room while at the park.

SuddenStorm

Disneyland Operations really needs a win. It's been hit after hit for operations-

People don't like the reservations.
Magic Keys offered less for more money.
Genie+ and Individual Lighting Lane are pure money grabs and inferior to Maxpass/Fastpass.
Maintenance across the resort is possibly the worst it's ever been. Staff service is the worst it's been.

And now they debut this Magic Band nonsense. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would buy it.

SuddenStorm

Yeah they re all locals but they usually gush over everything. Right now the MagicBands are just a shiny new toy for locals. I’m probably at least a couple useful features away from buying one but even then the biggest update they can make is giving us the ability to purchase and I buy most of my food with mobile order anyway. With all of that said, the biggest reason it doesn’t appeal to me is the fact that I’m usually handling tickets for park entry, lighting lanes, child switches etc for my family (and extended casual guest family) on my phone. It’s just not as convenient to have to wrangle everyone’s wrists. This works better for groups of adults, key holders or just families with older children.

I literally WANT to give them my money for one but just can’t right now because it’s not there yet. Not for me and my family anyway. Love the concept but the app kind of made them obsolete.

It feels like a brand new product.

It doesn't feel like something that's had years of use at Disney World. Disneyland should have been able to make this a home run from day one.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah they re all locals but they usually gush over everything. Right now the MagicBands are just a shiny new toy for locals. I’m probably at least a couple useful features away from buying one but even then the biggest update they can make is giving us the ability to purchase but I buy most of my food with mobile order anyway. With all of that said, the biggest reason it doesn’t appeal to me is the fact that I’m usually handling tickets for park entry, lighting lanes, child switches etc for my family (and extended casual guest family) on my phone. It’s just not as convenient to have to wrangle everyone’s wrists. This works better for groups of adults, key holders or just families with older children.

I'm not sure how you'd have a simple RFID device like this handle multiple tickets, not even WDW has that feature. I would think you'd have to turn it into a Smart Watch with touch screen so you can swipe to the different tickets for scanning of different bar codes. At that point using the app on the phone is just easier.

So I guess what I'm saying is your reason is opposite to the major selling feature I've seen WDW guest gush over, was the fact that everyone had their own ticket on their wrist so you really didn't have to fumble with a paper ticket or the phone app. Just link the ticket to the individual MB, give it to the person and they're off and running.

I guess with two young children like you have it doesn't make sense. But for families with kids over 6 or 7 it may make more sense to just give them their own MB so they can do it themselves.

Also I've long said the app basically made MBs obsolete at DLR, as you may remember, which is why I thought it wasn't ever coming. So I'm honestly right there with you on that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I still wear a watch. It's a fitness watch to count steps and monitor heart rate during workouts.

After watching a couple of vloggers demonstrate the magic bands, I'm not interested. I still would have to pull out my phone to make lightning lane reservations and for mobile food order, so this thing is just redundant and a waste of money. If I can't at least load the thing with some money to buy lunch or a souveneir, then it just isn't worth it to me. And you might have to charge it during the day? Nope. I'm out.

I think they made sense at WDW when they had ride reservations that you made BEFORE entering the park. Even now, WDW resort guests can use them as a hotel room key and can charge things to their hotel room while at the park.
Well the charging is just for the haptic/light-up features. The regular tap features like gate entry don't require the frequent charging that the haptic/light-up features require. At least that is my understanding.

mickEblu

I'm not sure how you'd have a simple RFID device like this handle multiple tickets, not even WDW has that feature. I would think you'd have to turn it into a Smart Watch with touch screen so you can swipe to the different tickets for scanning of different bar codes. At that point using the app on the phone is just easier.

So I guess what I'm saying is your reason is opposite to the major selling feature I've seen WDW guest gush over, was the fact that everyone had their own ticket on their wrist so you really didn't have to fumble with a paper ticket or the phone app. Just link the ticket to the individual MB, give it to the person and they're off and running.

I guess with two young children like you have it doesn't make sense. But for families with kids over 6 or 7 it may make more sense to just give them their own MB so they can do it themselves.

Also I've long said the app basically made MBs obsolete at DLR, as you may remember, which is why I thought it wasn't ever coming. So I'm honestly right there with you on that.

Right but I believe you were saying that even before mobile order was a thing. Maybe even before MaxPass too? Now it’s REALLY obsolete. Which of course is why they had to add the lights and bounty hunter game stuff. With all that said I was still on the fence until I heard that you can’t use them for payment. Also just something about seeing everyone struggle for 10-20 minutes to get them paired is just kind of off putting. The designs aren’t the best either but I like the plain black one enough.

mickEblu

Disneyland Operations really needs a win. It's been hit after hit for operations-

People don't like the reservations.
Magic Keys offered less for more money.
Genie+ and Individual Lighting Lane are pure money grabs and inferior to Maxpass/Fastpass.
Maintenance across the resort is possibly the worst it's ever been. Staff service is the worst it's been.

And now they debut this Magic Band nonsense. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would buy it.

Just the FOMO of it really is the only reason right now. Curiosity and wanting to be a part of the new thing. At the end of the day it’s still just a relatively inexpensive piece of merch and as you know for many pass holders shopping is a big part of the experience. Things like new merch and seasonal food/ offerings keeps it fresh for many annual pass holders. I think these Magic Bands are just kind of in that category so people are willing to accept that they re not very useful. There’s probably a number of people who haven’t even thought it through and don’t even fully understand that they re not very useful.

There’s also the desire for some to get in “on the ground level” or be part of the pilot group at DL. Or maybe just to buy one of the original or limited design bands just in case they’re worth something later or to feel like you got something rare or special especially if these are around for a while and continue to grow in popularity.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Right but I believe you were saying that even before mobile order was a thing. Maybe even before MaxPass too? Now it’s REALLY obsolete. Which of course is why they had to add the lights and bounty hunter game stuff. With all that said I was still on the fence until I heard that you can’t use them for payment. Also just something about seeing everyone struggle for 10-20 minutes to get them paired is just kind of off putting. The designs aren’t the best either but I like the plain black one enough.
Not sure if I ever said them being obsolete before MaxPass, since the app came out in 2015 and MaxPass come out in 2017. But I do remember saying they were obsolete after MaxPass.

Remember the Bounty Hunter game was one of the features being sold when they announced GE prior to all the budget cuts. So that is at least a plus in the usage column, it brought back a promised feature of a land!

As I mentioned in my other post I'm going to check it out on my trip Halloween weekend. If nothing else it'll be a souvenir I can add to the rest of my trip collections.

mickEblu

Not sure if I ever said them being obsolete before MaxPass, since the app came out in 2015 and MaxPass come out in 2017. But I do remember saying they were obsolete after MaxPass.

Remember the Bounty Hunter game was one of the features being sold when they announced GE prior to all the budget cuts. So that is at least a plus in the usage column, it brought back a promised feature of a land!

As I mentioned in my other post I'm going to check it out on my trip Halloween weekend. If nothing else it'll be a souvenir I can add to the rest of my trip collections.

Yeah they re relatively inexpensive. I spend more on a round of corn dogs that are swimming in the Alice in Wonderland toilets by the end of the night. Sorry TMI. And I don’t even know if that’s accurate unless I have a Super fast digestive system. For myself though there’s no point of buying one as souvenir at least with the intention of wearing it or using it unless I buy one for the rest of my family.

CaptinEO

Magic Bands made sense for Disneyworld in 2013 when you prebooked fastpass, it got into your hotel room, and could charge your cards. Also was great for the waterparks (no wallet needed). And oh yeah, they were free.

The Disneyland implementation is so late and so poorly done it blows my mind how they thought this would be a useful product.

50 dollars to use a wristband for fastpasses you still have to pay for and book on your phone?

The point of magic band was supposed to be a free incentive to make your vacation experience easier, collect guest metrics, and to make it easier for people to buy things (hoping they'd be looser with spending).

By the way the touchless payments were working in 2018 when they redid all the point of sale systems. I did apple pay for about a month all over DLR before they turned the feature off on their systems. Theres no reason they can't have wireless payments including magic band working, the tech is already there and was functional.

lazyboy97o

People keep talking about payments on the MagicBand like it’s a general feature at Walt Disney World. It’s only available for charging for your room. A day guest can’t set it up for payment. So even if that feature was available it would be useless for most.

Phroobar

So if the MB+ was setup for payment, does that mean someone can walk through Disneyland scanning them for credit card info? It is like walking around with your credit card unshielded. You know Disney will forget all about security.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom