News MagicBand+ comes to Disneyland

smooch

I wish Disney would make an Apple Wallet version of your ticket available to use on your Apple Watch, basically acting as a Magic Band. I know you'd have to open it on Wallet on the watch but double tapping the power button to pull it up and select the pass would be much more convenient than having to pull out my phone to scan things, basically acting as a Magic Band with a few extra screen presses. Hopefully they roll that out eventually but I could see them never doing that so as to not cannibalize Magic Band sales.

I didn't use Magic Bands on my trip to WDW because I didn't get my free band since it was a work trip and didn't realize we had to claim it at the front desk or something rather than just being sent the band if I booked the trip myself, so I haven't tried one yet but my friend who did the DCP at WDW loved using hers to do things around the park, it does seem very very convenient especially with the push of making every interaction digital.

lazyboy97o

I wish Disney would make an Apple Wallet version of your ticket available to use on your Apple Watch, basically acting as a Magic Band. I know you'd have to open it on Wallet on the watch but double tapping the power button to pull it up and select the pass would be much more convenient than having to pull out my phone to scan things, basically acting as a Magic Band with a few extra screen presses. Hopefully they roll that out eventually but I could see them never doing that so as to not cannibalize Magic Band sales.

I didn't use Magic Bands on my trip to WDW because I didn't get my free band since it was a work trip and didn't realize we had to claim it at the front desk or something rather than just being sent the band if I booked the trip myself, so I haven't tried one yet but my friend who did the DCP at WDW loved using hers to do things around the park, it does seem very very convenient especially with the push of making every interaction digital.
The Mobile Magic ticket is added to Wallet and can be used on the Apple Watch.

drizgirl

The next time you park hop, use a different finger at the scanner at the second park than the one you used at the first park. Insist that you're using the same finger. When they send you to the cast member in the plaid vest, take a gander at the photo they have up on their iPad. Surprise!
Digging for a photo to use as backup in a dispute is vastly different from using it on the spot to verify your face automatically to grant entry on your ticket.

The do verify photos when you enter at Disneyland, but that's done manually by the CM at the gate. You scan, a photo pops up, and they look at you to see if you're the same person.

smooch

Thank you for the tip! I am honestly unsure with all the terms from modern Disney stuff, is a Mobile Magic ticket just any park ticket that you access on your My Disneyland Experience app or is that Magic ticket like a pass holder thing specifically? I would imagine it's just any normal park ticket, right?

CaptinEO

Magic Mobile is at Disney World but not Disney Land.

I love using Magic Mobile on my Disneyland App to make Mobile Order, Genie +, Lightning Lane, and Instance Access Attraction reservations as well as theme park availability reservations.

lazyboy97o

Thank you for the tip! I am honestly unsure with all the terms from modern Disney stuff, is a Mobile Magic ticket just any park ticket that you access on your My Disneyland Experience app or is that Magic ticket like a pass holder thing specifically? I would imagine it's just any normal park ticket, right?
It’s any ticket. You add it to wallet and then tap like using ApplePay.
Magic Mobile is at Disney World but not Disney Land.

I love using Magic Mobile on my Disneyland App to make Mobile Order, Genie +, Lightning Lane, and Instance Access Attraction reservations as well as theme park availability reservations.
MagicMobile uses the same infrastructure as the MagicBands. It took so long to implement more because of Apple’s restrictions on access to the NFC chip in the iPhone.

CaptinEO

It’s any ticket. You add it to wallet and then tap like using ApplePay.

MagicMobile uses the same infrastructure as the MagicBands. It took so long to implement more because of Apple’s restrictions on access to the NFC chip in the iPhone.
That's good to hear, we should hopefully have it when Disneyland adds Magic Bands soon.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Coming this fall -

"This fall, MagicBand+ will make its momentous debut at Disneyland Resort, bringing the wearable technology to the West Coast for the first time! Today, I’m excited to share how this innovation will deliver hands-free convenience and unlock a new dimension of Disney storytelling."

"At launch, this wearable will boast a host of convenient capabilities – with more to come in the future! Connect your MagicBand+ to your theme park ticket or Magic Key pass in the Disneyland app for an easy way to enter the Disneyland Resort theme parks (valid Park admission and reservation required), or use it to check in at Lightning Lane entrances (separate valid Lightning Lane entry required). After capturing precious memories with a Disney PhotoPass photographer, a tap of your band links the photos to your Disney account.

MagicBand+ also adds new, immersive elements and surprises to park experiences. In sync with special moments during select nighttime spectaculars, your band will complement the magic in the skies by pulsing with colorful, dancing lights and vibrations.

MagicBand+ will come to life during “World of Color” in Disney California Adventure park and “Fantasmic!” and select nighttime shows in Disneyland park.

You’ll also be able to explore Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Disneyland park like never before with the Star Wars: Batuu Bounty Hunters interactive quest. Vibrations and lights from your MagicBand+ will help guide you to find virtual bounties across Black Spire Outpost. When you find your bounty, you can use the augmented reality thermal viewer in the Play Disney Parks app** to reveal who’s hiding in the shadows. Once your mission is successfully completed, local guild master Raga Bua will reward you with galactic credits."

Phroobar

giphy.gif

Phroobar

Disneyland is so reliant on phones it's disgusting. At least this way you can avoid taking out and unlocking a phone every 2 minutes.

That being said, they probably inconvenience guests to sell this.
People unlock their phones every two minutes even if they aren't walking down Main Street. It's a habit.

CaptinEO

People unlock their phones every two minutes even if they aren't walking down Main Street. It's a habit.
Not something I like to do I suppose.

That being said, Disney created the problem and are upselling a solution.

I also read on rat chat they are removing registers from the main street shops to focus on "mobile checkout". Good luck with that post fireworks.

mickEblu

Hmmm on second thought this doesn’t sound all that useful for my family. They didn’t mention that you can use the Magic Band to pay for stuff and they have us trained on Mobile Order anyway (or you risk waiting for their lone register at every restaurant). So the only benefit I can see is getting into the park a little easier. Even the lightning lane feature (which we don’t buy often) wouldn’t really help us with all the child switching we do. Sounds much easier to have one person with a phone handling the whole situation.

I think they missed the boat on this actually being useful at DL which is probably why they had to add all the lights, bells and whistles.

Last edited:

aaronml

I’m curious if they will install “tapstiles” or just read your MB+ using the iPhones they use to scan your ticket / take your photo currently. My guess would be the latter.

waltography

I think they missed the boat on this actually being useful at DL which is probably why they had to add all the lights, bells and whistles.
I'm upset the mobile payment isn't here too. Ah well; I've already got the band and I'd imagine if keyholders get this in droves, it could help quite a bit with the LL congestion.

I’m curious if they will install “tapstiles” or just read your MB+ using the iPhones they use to scan your ticket / take your photo currently. My guess would be the latter.
It's the latter, they show it in the MB+ video that DCBaker linked above.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
What if I don't want a MagicBand+?
Then don't buy one. Problem solved.

Not sure why people are crapping on this when you aren't obligated to get one, and if you don't get one your experience would be the exact same as it is now. If MagicBands help increase the speed of park entry and LL lines because people always seem to wait until the last second to whip out their phones and fumble through the app, that's a win. They said there's more to come, so they may in the future add its use to merch/food payments.

Disney already had the "Made with Magic" wands/ears that interacted with parades/shows by changing color. Added sparkles never hurt anyone.

The Galaxy's Edge experience with the Play Disney app has been around since it opened, so the added experience will be cool to try for those like me who like to play that....though the credits still don't mean anything. I'm just hoping that they eventually add some better experiences like Magic Kingdom's Pirate Adventure and the now defunct Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, either in GE or elsewhere....which leads to....

Cool, i wonder if the new treehouse will have some magicband elements added to it
This was the first thought that came to my mind and would explain why they are taking so long to open it.

Sadly, "coming this Fall" can be as late as Dec. 20th. I doubt they will be here in 3 weeks when I'll be in the parks :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom