News MagicBand+ comes to Disneyland

AJFireman

Curious with the expected launch of Magicband is possibly a reason they did not issue physical cards with Magic Key. They would have had to be replaced with RFID Cards or possibly given up the surprise announcement if they issued RFID cards initially. Once the system is live will they start issuing cards I hope so. Currently in order to get your discount at a table service restaurant the server has to either write down your Magic Key number or take your phone with them to scan not a very efficient way to go. Then there are the app issues and connectivity when you need it to be fast its not. Some CM are saying they only accept your ticket via the app not a screenshot or print out.

Also another thought is that if they get people hooked via MB they have better tracking for crowds and surges with actual data. Then for customers that use Genie services they can push guest to less congested areas of the park. Other then visually I am not aware they had any type of crowd tracking. I think DisneyParks Play app might of been a way of doing that with bluetooth technology but I do not see a lot of people using it.

Sailor310

Curious with the expected launch of Magicband is possibly a reason they did not issue physical cards with Magic Key. They would have had to be replaced with RFID Cards or possibly given up the surprise announcement if they issued RFID cards initially. Once the system is live will they start issuing cards I hope so. Currently in order to get your discount at a table service restaurant the server has to either write down your Magic Key number or take your phone with them to scan not a very efficient way to go. Then there are the app issues and connectivity when you need it to be fast its not. Some CM are saying they only accept your ticket via the app not a screenshot or print out.

Also another thought is that if they get people hooked via MB they have better tracking for crowds and surges with actual data. Then for customers that use Genie services they can push guest to less congested areas of the park. Other then visually I am not aware they had any type of crowd tracking. I think DisneyParks Play app might of been a way of doing that with bluetooth technology but I do not see a lot of people using it.
I'll repeat, if you go to a ticket booth and get a paper ticket for your Magic Key (for free), they'll accept it all over the park. I never use the pass on my phone. It has to be original. Printer, laminated, or screen save versions don't work.

CaptainAmerica

If you want to buy a MB, that's fine but they are trying to phase them out from the standpoint of not making it the de facto method of payment/admission at WDW. The mobile push is taking precedence. This is all about 7 years late to Disneyland as they never saw the ROI they had expected from the initial MM+ endeavor. Hence why the MB push at Disneyland will be very limited.
It's not a matter of opinion. You're factually incorrect. They stopped issuing free MagicBands because they were spending a fortune to ship them. That's it. It wasn't a migration away from the form factor.

Last edited:

AJFireman

I'll repeat, if you go to a ticket booth and get a paper ticket for your Magic Key (for free), they'll accept it all over the park. I never use the pass on my phone. It has to be original. Printer, laminated, or screen save versions don't work.
Yes that is true. But for a majority of guest they are not aware of this option and CM are not graciously giving this information. Even in all the information released it states there will be a 20 dollar charge for them to print you a ticket. So that scares guest from even asking. Even with that free ticket unless you take care of it its not going to last very long for most guest especially since it cant be altered being laminated. I was just curious if this will lead into getting a card. WDW even with all its options you are still able to get a physical card and even put out themed ones for the anniversary.

aaronml

You're wrong. It's not a matter of opinion. You're factually incorrect. They stopped issuing free MagicBands because they were spending a fortune to ship them. That's it. It wasn't a migration away from the form factor.
Not just shipping, but manufacturing cost. Now instead of “losing” money by giving out complimentary MBs, they make a ton of money from people willing to pay up for them, especially the premium / limited-release ones.

aaronml

Yes that is true. But for a majority of guest they are not aware of this option and CM are not graciously giving this information. Even in all the information released it states there will be a 20 dollar charge for them to print you a ticket. So that scares guest from even asking. Even with that free ticket unless you take care of it its not going to last very long for most guest especially since it cant be altered being laminated. I was just curious if this will lead into getting a card. WDW even with all its options you are still able to get a physical card and even put out themed ones for the anniversary.
I’m also curious how many CMs (outside of ticketing of course) don’t even know about the paper passes (since most people don’t have one). For those who have a paper pass, have you ever had a CM not recognize it?

Sailor310

I’m also curious how many CMs (outside of ticketing of course) don’t even know about the paper passes (since most people don’t have one). For those who have a paper pass, have you ever had a CM not recognize it?
Yes. For the first couple of trips folks at the entrance and restaurants were puzzled, but with a little coaching(like just scan the little QR code) everyone eventually accepted it. Most everyone seems to be aware of them now. They must have just gotten official notice out to the CMs as to what's acceptable. A CM Thursday told me the stuff I wrote earlier.

I had read the 20 dollar statement in the small print as well, but then someone here got one for free, so we tried it. The CM at tickets smiled and said 'that will be 10 dollars'. I was expecting that, she laughed and said, ' just kidding, no, they're free.' I asked how much if I needed a replacement. She said, 'I'm probably supposed to charge five dollars, but I wouldn't'. As I'm typing this, I'm hoping DL doesn't read it and start enforcing the twenty dollars.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

It's not a matter of opinion. You're factually incorrect. They stopped issuing free MagicBands because they were spending a fortune to ship them. That's it. It wasn't a migration away from the form factor.

I'm not incorrect. MagicBands still exist. They make money. They won't go away. The internal mandate now is to push mobile, though.

MagicWDI

I quite enjoyed using Magic Bands at WDW. I'm excited to get a Disneyland one!
Me too. I don't mind using my phone to schedule rides (G+, DAS) but I'm not a fan of using my phone at the touch points or at a CM to scan. I'd much rather just tap an RFID card or MagicBand. Loved it at WDW and still have a couple.

Assuming the infrastructure already has RFID readers already installed (I've been told by a CM they are but have not confirmed this) then we should be good to go at the attractions. We just need infrastructure upgrades at the park entrance turnstiles.

MarvelCharacterNerd

At WDW the MB's are used in conjunction with the finger scanners to enter the parks. It made for a much faster entrance at WDW than DLR where you have to get your photo taken and the CM has to later check your photo against your face after they scan your ticket before letting you go through the turnstile.

If there are no finger scanners at DLR, will people using the MB instead of a ticket (physical or on their phone), still be subject to the photos/CM check? If so, that saves no time at the entrance at all.

Of course, we still can't seem to get the easy walk through security scanners that WDW has had for ages, too, so...

Macro

A CM Thursday told me the stuff I wrote earlier.
So a CM told you that screen saves or printouts of your barcode aren't accepted? You can only use your phone or an "official" printed ticket? After all, they have your picture from the first time you entered the park.

I saved a screen grab of the screen with my barcode in case the app died while I was trying to enter the park. And I have a printout of that screen in case the battery dies.

The Disneyland app has already died once just before I got to the front of a Disneyland turnstile line and it said something along the lines of "the Disneyland app is currently having problems with tickets and reservations" and it was not showing my barcode. A minute later it was working again so I got back in line and got into the park.

I was hoping they would accept a screen grab or a printout in case your phone isn't working. Disneyland is the place where my phone is the least reliable. It's hardly surprising considering that so many people are using their phones while packed into one small area.

aaronml

So a CM told you that screen saves or printouts of your barcode aren't accepted? You can only use your phone or an "official" printed ticket? After all, they have your picture from the first time you entered the park.

I saved a screen grab of the screen with my barcode in case the app died while I was trying to enter the park. And I have a printout of that screen in case the battery dies.

The Disneyland app has already died once just before I got to the front of a Disneyland turnstile line and it said something along the lines of "the Disneyland app is currently having problems with tickets and reservations" and it was not showing my barcode. A minute later it was working again so I got back in line and got into the park.

I was hoping they would accept a screen grab or a printout in case your phone isn't working. Disneyland is the place where my phone is the least reliable. It's hardly surprising considering that so many people are using their phones while packed into one small area.
I don’t think they can tell if it is a screenshot or not unless they start tapping around your screen to verify that it is interactive (or unless you mention that it is a screenshot).

Sailor310

"So a CM told you that screen saves or printouts of your barcode aren't accepted? You can only use your phone or an "official" printed ticket? After all, they have your picture from the first time you entered the park."

Yes! CMs often get stuff wrong, but he sounded pretty clear on the directions. Perhaps it's too easy to fake printouts and screen saves and they don't want to have to depend on the picture. Disney does what Disney wants.

waltography

"So a CM told you that screen saves or printouts of your barcode aren't accepted? You can only use your phone or an "official" printed ticket? After all, they have your picture from the first time you entered the park."

Yes! CMs often get stuff wrong, but he sounded pretty clear on the directions. Perhaps it's too easy to fake printouts and screen saves and they don't want to have to depend on the picture. Disney does what Disney wants.
Can verify this. They've started cracking down on unofficial print-outs (and to a lesser extent, screenshots), making my homemade Magic Key useless. I have gotten away with some restaurants scanning my homemade Magic Key though since the alternatives are so much more inconvenient, but at this point they should just... print APs like they used to.

mickEblu

Can verify this. They've started cracking down on unofficial print-outs (and to a lesser extent, screenshots), making my homemade Magic Key useless. I have gotten away with some restaurants scanning my homemade Magic Key though since the alternatives are so much more inconvenient, but at this point they should just... print APs like they used to.

Why, you don’t find writing or reading off the 18 digit Magic Key number off your phone to your waiter at Cafe Orleans to get a 10% discount, fun?

lazyboy97o

At WDW the MB's are used in conjunction with the finger scanners to enter the parks. It made for a much faster entrance at WDW than DLR where you have to get your photo taken and the CM has to later check your photo against your face after they scan your ticket before letting you go through the turnstile.

If there are no finger scanners at DLR, will people using the MB instead of a ticket (physical or on their phone), still be subject to the photos/CM check? If so, that saves no time at the entrance at all.

Of course, we still can't seem to get the easy walk through security scanners that WDW has had for ages, too, so...
The finger scans were in use years before the NextGen project even started. They’re used with the MagicBands because they were already in use with the old paper tickets. It seems more that MagicBands are coming because mobile admission media is coming so the infrastructure is there and they might as well make a few extra bucks selling them.

MarvelCharacterNerd

The finger scans were in use years before the NextGen project even started. They’re used with the MagicBands because they were already in use with the old paper tickets. It seems more that MagicBands are coming because mobile admission media is coming so the infrastructure is there and they might as well make a few extra bucks selling them.
And my point was that it saves no time using them at the DL and DCA entrances if you still need to wait and have your photo checked by a CM every time at the turnstile instead of the WDW system (MB and finger scan) just giving you the green light to walk right through without the CM doing a compare & contrast with your stored photo - or take a photo of you if you're not a passholder - before saying you can go through, so it defeats the benefit I found in them as a good timesaver at WDW park entrances.

I also liked them to unlock the hotel doors at WDW. But since I'd never use that at DL, I personally have no use for these here.

lazyboy97o

And my point was that it saves no time using them at the DL and DCA entrances if you still need to wait and have your photo checked by a CM every time at the turnstile instead of the WDW system (MB and finger scan) just giving you the green light to walk right through without the CM doing a compare & contrast with your stored photo - or take a photo of you if you're not a passholder - before saying you can go through, so it defeats the benefit I found in them as a good timesaver at WDW park entrances.
The time saver is just the finger scan, not the MagicBand. The finger scan doesn’t require a MagicBand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom