MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

cjkeating

Facebook and Instagram do seem much more aligned to the DLP guest profile as well as having 3bn users vs 300m. Plus it avoids the chaotic backend problems Twitter now has since Elon took over. But I will concede it is annoying and I think the DLP fanatics are more likely to use Twitter than Facebook.

yensidtlaw1969

Also, it sounds like Nemo's face no longer appears in the mirror of the Organ, which was otherwise nicely restored:

1688212538630.png

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
A 20,000 Leagues attraction without the giant squid is like Tower of Terror without the drops.

Every attraction based on this movie has had one, even the movie exhibit walkthrough at Disneyland. It's an inseparable part of the film's iconography and lasting fascination.

If the new effect was a true addition and the squid attack was another scene to add variety to the experience, I would say that's an improvement, but what they've done is a major letdown.

yensidtlaw1969

From what I gather it’s a multi plane effect with a front window using the TDS 20K bubble effect. I’ll see for myself soon :)
That's what it sounds like - which is a nice enough notion, but not at the expense of the Squid.

I'd love to know the thought process here. Was the Animatronic just that difficult to maintain? It seems like it's always gotten somewhat of the short end of the stick - originally it had a complex 22 foot Tentacle that would wave in front of the window before the full Squid would attack, but that died off quickly. Can't help but think they simply gave up on wanting to care for the show.

Such a shame. That animatronic was always one of my favorites even when its performance was spotty.

mrflo

Them replacing the AA by adding a screen was unfortunately to be expected. But them completely removing the giant squid scene is a major disappointment.

I am sure Imagineering in Paris has some talented folks in the architecture and engineering field. Though I get more and more the impression that many of them are lacking the essential creative storytelling & cinematic background. Many of the initial Imagineers for Disneyland actually were brought on by Walt from the movie studios.

I have recently read an interview with former WDI lead Bruce Vaughn who just returned to Walt Disney Imagineering as Chief Creative Officer. One question and answer stood out for me in particular:

"How do you and Barbara Bouza* collaborate?​

When I first met Barbara, I realized we’re two halves of one brain. That’s how we need to function as leaders, and we do. Her architectural background is different from mine. I’m from more of a story background.

We’ll do joint meetings where we want the two parts of the brain there — Barbara from a deeper business and architecture side, and me, from a creative design, story, theater, and movie background. Barbara has massive experience in delivering complex projects that serve the public, like stadiums, hospitals, and community gathering places. And so that half of the brain is super important, because the project has to come up from the ground and deliver in function and be maintainable."

Source: INTERVIEW: Bruce Vaughn is back as CCO at Walt Disney Imagineering

*(Barbara had replaced Bob Weis as the President of Walt Disney Imagineering in 2020 coming from Gensler - a global architecture, design, and planning firm.)

So Bruce is kind of admitting that WDI has been lacking the creative & storytelling component with Barbara in the lead. I guess that is what we are seeing now as a result. It is good sign that the leadership at Disney seems to have realised this and brought back Bruce for the creative balance. Considering the lead time of many projects, I am wondering how many more of those current ones have been impacted by this as well. Hence, I am quite nervous about anything that has been planned with Barbara as the sole WDI lead. As far as I understood, that could also include the plans for the rumoured Lion King expansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom