MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

wdrive

I just can’t even begin to imagine how you go in to update a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea anttraction and even bring up the idea of removing the giant squid. Who even makes that suggestion and why?

A screen is cheaper therefore is the winner in the meeting about updating this attraction

cjkeating

A screen is cheaper therefore is the winner in the meeting about updating this attraction
But doing nothing is cheaper… did anyone think the attraction needed updating? Surely just replacing or refurbishing the animatronic would have been cheaper than buying the screen technology, getting the CGI created, recording a new score etc?!

wdrive

But doing nothing is cheaper… did anyone think the attraction needed updating? Surely just replacing or refurbishing the animatronic would have been cheaper than buying the screen technology, getting the CGI created, recording a new score etc?!

True but some spreadsheet somewhere probably said it was due a refurb.

Castle Cake Apologist

Not in the long run. Maintaining a screen and bubble machine is much easier and cheaper than maintaining a full animatronic.

Honestly, this entire project is nonsense. They quite literally removed everything that tied it to the source material. No more audio of the crew and Nemo, no more squid attack, no more movie score, no more Nemo in the mirror. Outside of the Nautilus, what exactly makes this a 20K attraction now? And all this talk of replacing the original story with "a more relevant story about conservation" just solidifies further in my mind that they've completely forgotten how to design theme park attractions.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Overall the project has gone down like a lead balloon (or the Titanic) amongst French social media. It’s now in WDIEs - and Burbank’s - court (like PM was post opening)
What do you think the odds are they'll listen to the feedback like they did with Phantom Manor?

PM had some simple fixes it was able to make basically overnight - returning most of the original score to the ride was an easy win (I don't know WHO thought it was a good idea to remove any of those original tracks) though I don't recall any physical changes to the ride after opening.

You'd think at the very least they could do us the favor of restoring some of the 20K music and creating a Squid element for the screens . . .

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What do you think the odds are they'll listen to the feedback like they did with Phantom Manor?

PM had some simple fixes it was able to make basically overnight - returning most of the original score to the ride was an easy win (I don't know WHO thought it was a good idea to remove any of those original tracks) though I don't recall any physical changes to the ride after opening.

You'd think at the very least they could do us the favor of restoring some of the 20K music and creating a Squid element for the screens . . .
The latter would be easy 3rd shift work. If they wanted to.

Toni25

I'm hoping they'll see the backlash & eventually reintroduce a squid animation as well as the old tracks (doesn't seem too complicated).
Maybe it was intentional? To stir some controversy and hype?

cookiee_munster

Could the screens just be some form of B mode and that the squid animatronic is still being worked on? Seems awfully illogical to remove something that 20,000 leagues is pretty much renowned for? 🤔

yensidtlaw1969

I'm hoping they'll see the backlash & eventually reintroduce a squid animation as well as the old tracks (doesn't seem too complicated).
Maybe it was intentional? To stir some controversy and hype?
I don't think the Walt Disney Company is much in the mode of intentionally stirring up controversy - they have plenty unintentional ones giving them grief at the moment.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Why not just leave the inactive squid AA and put in a strobe light?

;)

Mind-boggling how this was approved at any level. "Let's create a 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarves' attraction but only feature Doc, Sneezy, and Bashful." 🤦‍♂️

The Empress Lilly

Removing the squid in any form is so blisteringly non-20k that surely this is intentional? An attempt to free the attraction from 20k, a mostly dead IP as far as Disney is concerned?

No squid, no Nemo mirror, no character audio. A blank slate undersea m&g space then?

We now have a Disney that forces IP onto everything that doesn't need it, ald removes it from that which does.

tanc

It's sad to see Tom Scherman's magnum opus to be completely ruined by "Imagineers". Imagineers like Eddie Sotto get emotional over this attraction due to its connection to Tom, who passed away shortly after this was created. I don't get this era of imagineering, it's like they sit in a room and think of the most preposterous idea and go with it. It's like they're actively always trying to out do themselves with making something worse. Sure imagineering has its hits, but there have been so many misses lately that it's not even surprising to me. Disneyland Paris is such a unique park and to rip away this attraction would be like taking the POTC away from Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom