MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

RoyalFool

That stretching room picture is pretty awesome, I was at the park yesterday and it doesn't seem to have impacted queue times at all. Could mean fewer people in the park to balance it out, but from what I can tell it's mostly service and entertainment workers as opposed to ride operators. Was odd to see the protesters skip the security checks, surely that's a problem?

wdrive

That stretching room picture is pretty awesome, I was at the park yesterday and it doesn't seem to have impacted queue times at all. Could mean fewer people in the park to balance it out, but from what I can tell it's mostly service and entertainment workers as opposed to ride operators. Was odd to see the protesters skip the security checks, surely that's a problem?

The protesters work there and it’s illegal to stop workers from striking at their workplace in France

When would they have skipped the security checks?

RoyalFool

The protesters work there and it’s illegal to stop workers from striking at their workplace in France

When would they have skipped the security checks?

They have bag checks between the station and park, and also between the hotels and the shopping area. The protesters just opened up the railing and walked in, with the security chap stationed to ensure guests don't do that, not doing anything. So they ended up skipping the bag check (but a lot of them had backpacks). Not a big deal, but Disney should at least communicate with them to ensure it's not opening up a security risk, anyone could just mingle in the large group and avoid the security checks.

LondonTom

They have bag checks between the station and park, and also between the hotels and the shopping area. The protesters just opened up the railing and walked in, with the security chap stationed to ensure guests don't do that, not doing anything. So they ended up skipping the bag check (but a lot of them had backpacks). Not a big deal, but Disney should at least communicate with them to ensure it's not opening up a security risk, anyone could just mingle in the large group and avoid the security checks.
I guess the security at the gate was trying to avoid a confrontation, considering they will be CMs who I presume don't have the same bag checks. (But yeah someone could have sneaked in with them, but DLP management doesn't seem to be in the mood to do something sensible about this, like let them use the staff entrance.)

wdrive

Thats a bit of yikes of a day, obviously may have been unlucky (and the CM resting pic is unnecessary)

They’ve had cast working on attractions that their costume doesn’t match up for as long as I have been visiting, seen plenty Indiana Jones cast on Pirates. Not perfect but if it’s between that and the attraction closing I know which is the better option.

Rat vehicles are mostly all gross though and pretty much all need a refurb.

Have to say last visit I did notice more and more chipped paint etc, something which I hadn’t seen at DLP for years, standards do seem to be slipping

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Have to say last visit I did notice more and more chipped paint etc, something which I hadn’t seen at DLP for years, standards do seem to be slipping
Strangely almost daily one of the Parisian social media peeps shows a photo of an area being touched up or painted. I know they can’t do everything all the time but they do still seem to be trying to maintain things.

The Rat RVs though….

wdrive

Strangely almost daily one of the Parisian social media peeps shows a photo of an area being touched up or painted. I know they can’t do everything all the time but they do still seem to be trying to maintain things.

The Rat RVs though….

They just seemed to get on top of it all a few years ago but seem to have slipped back, at least from what I saw on my last couple of visits.

cjkeating

I keep thinking that it can only be better than what’s there now
Exactly some people are weirdly nostagaltic for Disney Village but I remember during my first trip over 10 years ago wondering why the place was looked so run down and outdated... and it hasn't got any better since then.

A couple of things to note which people seem to be missing on Twitter... these are the 'structural' plans (which at a guess are being submitted for planning application this week hence the press release before they get 'leaked' by fan sites) so exclude finer details that will embellish the buildings. Also it is stated in the press release that all stores will be fully refurbished or reimagined so it's not a 'reskin' as again I've seen some people say.

My outstanding question is what is happening on the other side... at a guess I'll say as those building already have individual facades their reimagining or refurbishments will be announced on a venue by venue basis.

Indy_UK

I’m not a fan that it seems every shop facade is different. I honestly don’t know why they don’t just demolish and rebuild something much better? Maybe double storey with more dining?

Just comes across as another cheaper update that they are dragging out over 2 whole years

Sir_Cliff

Does anyone on here remember the original (circa-1992) version?

Ever since I have been going (only since 2008), Disney Village has been pretty grim. All the pictures I see of the original Festival Disney, though, makes it look like a pretty nice piece of design. The neon/retro-1950s feel works well, and I particularly like the look of the lights strung overhead, which presumably would have really helped in winter.

As they changed it pretty quickly (e.g. stripping the bases of the towers), I guess in practice it didn't work as well as on paper?

1686689140011.png

1686689343349.png

1686689276101.png

1686689176629.png

LondonTom

I dunno, I think it needed a complete rethink, this is like putting bland lipstick on a pig (a pig that you've not taken great care of, so looks old and hagged.) If they ain't going to fundamentally change much, they should have just given it some TLC to bring it back to the original design.

Alot I guess will depend on if all these changes, manage to bring in some exciting restaurant tenants.,

fradz

I'm annoyed that everything is looking so bland nowadays. Everything needs to look "classy, modern", add some greeneries and a touch of wood and voila. I'm traveling enough for work already; if I go to a vacation destination, I want it to look bold, colorful, with a with a resolutely daring theme.

It was called Festival Disney? Then it should look like a festival of some sort (music festival, local fair, ...)
You call it Disney Village nowadays? Then make it look like a nice old French village with an extra touch of Disney fantasy, not like the mall which is a 5min walk from my place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom