MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

Sir_Cliff

I dunno, I think it needed a complete rethink, this is like putting bland lipstick on a pig (a pig that you've not taken great care of, so looks old and hagged.) If they ain't going to fundamentally change much, they should have just given it some TLC to bring it back to the original design.

Alot I guess will depend on if all these changes, manage to bring in some exciting restaurant tenants.,
I agree. This seems so half-hearted as to be hardly worth doing. Of course it will look nicer than what is there as they will be repainting and adding new finishes which will make it all look fresher. Overall, though, it seems like they're just keeping the existing lacklustre space on life support and punting actually 'fixing' Disney Village another decade or more down the road.

It would be nice if they could also go back and see if they could make something related to the original vision work. Or, at least, create a new, unified design concept.

I'm annoyed that everything is looking so bland nowadays. Everything needs to look "classy, modern", add some greeneries and a touch of wood and voila. I'm traveling enough for work already; if I go to a vacation destination, I want it to look bold, colorful, with a with a resolutely daring theme.

It was called Festival Disney? Then it should look like a festival of some sort (music festival, local fair, ...)
You call it Disney Village nowadays? Then make it look like a nice old French village with an extra touch of Disney fantasy, not like the mall which is a 5min walk from my place.
Also agree!

At least at WDW they designed 'springs' and other touches to create a unified sense of space that kind of fits an idealised Floridian setting. Here, they really just seem to be refurbishing the district as the management of a local shopping mall might do by updating the finishings and colour scheme to match current trends in retail design.

cjkeating

I honestly don't really see what the problem is? They are fully refurbishing the inside and out of this flank of Disney Village. Currently most things on that side are stuck in some 1992 visual timewarp. My only concern is if they get rid of the Sports Bar unless they plan on keeping Billy Bob's (in some format) and opening it during the daytime.

The other side will also be done and then the expansion will happen around the Rainforest Cafe area. Who knows by the time they get down there they might be in a position to build the final Lake Disney hotel with it too.

Sir_Cliff

I honestly don't really see what the problem is? They are fully refurbishing the inside and out of this flank of Disney Village. Currently most things on that side are stuck in some 1992 visual timewarp. My only concern is if they get rid of the Sports Bar unless they plan on keeping Billy Bob's (in some format) and opening it during the daytime.

The other side will also be done and then the expansion will happen around the Rainforest Cafe area. Who knows by the time they get down there they might be in a position to build the final Lake Disney hotel with it too.
I don't think this is a bad development per se, it's more that it seems a bit pedestrian and unimaginative. It will probably look like a nice enough modern outdoor shopping mall when finished which is not the worst thing in the world, but it's also hard to get excited about it.

fradz

Your "nice old French Village" already exists near the parks : "La Vallée Village" Outlet. They HAVE to propose complimentary experiences with their partners !
France Objets Trouvés - j'ai trouvé un objet à La Vallée Village'ai trouvé un objet à La Vallée Village

LA VALLÉE VILLAGE (Serris): Ce qu'il faut savoir pour votre visite 2023'il faut savoir pour votre visite 2023

Heh, looks like any other outlet in Western Europe…. I was in Maasmechelen this morning and it looks exactly the same, Roermond 2 weeks ago too. I meant something more in a fantasy style, maybe in a medieval-like theme, like some nice alsacian villages still look like (Riquewihr..). Or anything more exotic than what you can see in real life

Toni25

Disney Executives said multiple times that they didn't want to see lavish theming outside the berms of the parks. Just like what they did with the Art of MARVEL Hotel and soon the Disneyland Hotel 2.0 + the Disney Village 2.0, those locations CELEBRATE disney characters, stories and brands while the Parks IMMERSE you into their worlds. Besides, nobody wants to see a village pastiche in Paris nor a second Fantasyland but an american entertainment/shopping district.
Nobody wants to see a second Fantasyland? In whose name are you speaking, cuz that statement is bonkers 😂
Yet everyone wants to see a second Shopping Promenade Claye-Souilly that's near Paris? What audience did you survey? 😂

promenade2.jpg
proenade3.jpg

Let's face it...the Village 2.0 remodel is lazy, wildly generic & lacking a theme. There is nothing "american" about it, it's just globalist.
If they wanted to give us something more "american", the Hyperion Wharf concept that they scrapped at WDW would have been amazing.

hypeiron2.jpg

hyperionwharf1.jpg

Sir_Cliff

Disney Executives said multiple times that they didn't want to see lavish theming outside the berms of the parks. Just like what they did with the Art of MARVEL Hotel and soon the Disneyland Hotel 2.0 + the Disney Village 2.0, those locations CELEBRATE disney characters, stories and brands while the Parks IMMERSE you into their worlds. Besides, nobody wants to see a village pastiche in Paris nor a second Fantasyland but an american entertainment/shopping district.
This sounds a little like the argument that they didn't build the second ride in Frozenland because two rides in the one universe would be redundant: It's an explanation for why they did what they did, but it's not one that makes much sense.

Toni25

Just like the fact that not many adults would be as excited as you for a Winnie Dark ride attraction, the target audience prefers a more mature experience that is totally different from what the parks may propose while being consistent with the brands that would like to be integrated in the Disney Village. Hence the Chelsea Market/ Time out Market/Quincy Market approach. Moreover, how would you retheme the Anette's, Planet Hollywood and the Mc Donald's buildings with a swiss alpine architecture ? On top of that maintenance/upkeep teams have to keep each night this area fresh with a shorter amount of time than in the parks since it closes later...

Funny how you took the Fantasyland thing so literally. The main idea is that a more themed or fun looking shopping district is welcome.
I am excited for many things, Winnie the Pooh might be one on a long list. I wouldn't particularly say that mature and Disney go hand in hand or that they cancel each other? Isn't the mature public there to be immersed back into childhood one way or the other?
There's nothing Chelsea or Quincy about the proposed aesthetic. Where on earth did you get that reference from the concept art they shared, are we looking at the same thing?

chelsea.jpeg

quincymarket.jpg

gettyimages-545127275-612x612.jpg

How are these photos in any way related to the concept art they released?
Are we really narrowing it down to either Alpine aesthetic or suburban strip mall?
Let's take a look at what Universal is doing with CityWalk...is it cohesive? Debatable, it doesn't feel like a theme park but it looks a lot of fun! and different enough from what's out there. Also checks the box of "mature experience"...mature doesn't have to be boring.
If one is too "mature" maybe Disney isn't for them in the first place, Paris can offer all the "real deal" architecture in the world.

cjkeating

I'm logging out of this forum, I hate negativity. This topic is gangrened because of it... So long, haters !
I can’t deny I feel like the DLP sub forum has gone off the rails in the past few months. It used to be a nice quiet place with occasional rumours and news but more recently there just seems to be complaining and negativity.

LondonTom

They'll be using bricks, painted graphics and an industrial aesthetic along contemporary touches for DV that's what I was referring to...

I'm logging out of this forum, I hate negativity. This topic is gangrened because of it... So long, haters !
I mean I still don't think we have seen anything like that in the concept art so far? Maybe we will be surprised but, if we are then DLP is doing a fairly poor job of marketing the vision...

People are allowed to have different opinions about things like this (especially when most of us are commenting on what has been officially released so far which is... rather lacking).

I can’t deny I feel like the DLP sub forum has gone off the rails in the past few months. It used to be a nice quiet place with occasional rumours and news but more recently there just seems to be complaining and negativity.
I don't feel like its the forum thats the problem 👀

Spring has been missed 😂

Toni25

They'll be using bricks, painted graphics and an industrial aesthetic along contemporary touches for DV that's what I was referring to...

I don't think disagreeing and challenging someone is hate. I'm mirroring a similar tone at the best, calling it hate is a stretch.
At the end of the day it's not that deep, it's a Disney forum for God's sake...only politicians and celebrities have haters :)
Haven't particularly noticed anything going off the rails. It was quite an exciting few months. The place used to be quiet because there was radio silence regarding any sort of expansion/projects being announced.
I guess the complaining goes hand in hand with people not being satisfied with what choices the WDC has been making recently.
Are we including the cast member protests as part of that negativity? I think critique can be healthy and necessary.

Indy_UK

I think for me, I have been quite critical recently on DLP but it’s only because I believe the parks deserve more.

I like Avengers Campus. It’s solid but needs the Thanos Attraction. WDSP expansion seems to have Frozen as its centre point, yet only one attraction? It isn’t good enough.

I guess I need to think of it the other way around and be happy the park is at least getting the expansion at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom