Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

llrain

I just saw the menu as well for the first time and have to say to everyone who said this is going to be a signature restaurant worthy of wine pairing, you apparently are misguided dining guests. I cant see this menu with sommeiler's running around suggesting a wine with this so called upscale menu.
Somewhere like the Bistro at the France Pavilion can make this claim and a sommilier would fit in just perfect but this, nah. Theres nothing equisite to this menu to break a age old tradition in this park. Stand behind my original opinion, by seeing the menu i thought I might be swayed to the other side.

LOL and what kid 9 and under will eat from that menu, there arent even any dang chicken tenders or mac and cheese.

Wow I just finally looked at the menu. The're going to be pouring Chimay and Saison Dupont! Now I'm really impressed! Why can't they pour beers of this quality everywhere else?

bunnyman

When Walt opened DL, he wanted it to be a place where families could have fun together.
He didn't want to serve alcohol because in his experience with carnivals, Dad went off and had a beer on a bench instead of spending time with kids. The concept of theme parks didn't really exist yet and he wanted to ensure that people understood that this was a unique attraction.
The Magic Kingdom in FL was opened to be a huge theme park similar to Disneyland for the East Coast. Families have enjoyed their time together as Disney parks for well over 50 years now. We longer have to compete against the dirty carnival stereotype.
Allowing alcohol is breaking tradition, but I think that the reason for that tradition has long passed.

Um, not to burst anyone's bubble, but they do serve alcohol in Disneyland at Club 33 (full bar, not just beer & wine). So, the precedent is there to have one "upscale" restaurant in the park that only serves beer & wine on the premises, and not in "to go" cups. Having alcohol available at Club 33 hasn't exactly turned Disneyland in the land of lushes, so I don't see why it would have be the case in the Magic Kingdom as well.

ExtinctJenn

Ironically I was watching an episode of one of those "World's Dumbest" shows last night. This one was "World's Dumbest Brawlers" (14 I think?) and one of the videos they showed was a drunk guy at DL at the Tower of Terror. I found it funny that of all nights that video was shown. As I sat there watching it, hearing a woman shouting at the man (who was being a typical drunk) that he was at Disney and there were kids everywhere I immediately thought of this news.

I completely understand that not everyone who is going to partake at a Disney Park is going to turn into the this guy was but the beauty of the Magic Kingdom is it was one place where you knew it would never happen.

I'm not SHOCKED they decided to do this but it just feels like after 40+ years of the MK being dry, it's disappointing.

bunnyman

Oh well. Next it'll be the Monsters, Inc Barf Floor and Bud - Light Years Space Ranger Spin.

o_O

I have to laugh. Walking through the Magic Kingdom several years ago I overheard some guy telling his kids, "hey look, there's that there Budlight Year guy".

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We must really be lucky because in our many trips to WDW in March (spring break), May, June, July, August, October, and December, with the vast majority of our time at EPCOT, we have yet to see anyone actually drunk at any park?!?!?!? I realize the CMs probably have a different view, since they are there every day, but it really just does not seem to be a huge problem. I can't see a bunch of drunks coming out of the BOG restaurant at any time if all they are serving is upscale beer and some wine. Just my humble opinion.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I completely understand that not everyone who is going to partake at a Disney Park is going to turn into the this guy was but the beauty of the Magic Kingdom is it was one place where you knew it would never happen.

You prefer this instead? http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tea-cup-ride-beating-arrest.205839/

There are assaults and confrontations without alcohol just as often as you hear of cases of people wigging out like that one guy at TOT which is everyone's favorite example. A guy that was more than just drunk.. he's a fugitive now and didn't show up for court.

James Clifton

Don't agree with it...but..... $$$$$$$$ rules at the board meetings.Someone suggested it & they decided to "SEE" what will happen!Watch,after the subject dies down...booze will show up in more resturants.I thought the Magic Kingdom was supposed to be kept as a special place for kids!We all can get drinks anytime & in most places!Serving drinks is just anothe way to make more $$$$.This is one time i have to cast a no vote!
Jim

Rosso11

I just saw the menu as well for the first time and have to say to everyone who said this is going to be a signature restaurant worthy of wine pairing, you apparently are misguided dining guests. I cant see this menu with sommeiler's running around suggesting a wine with this so called upscale menu.
Somewhere like the Bistro at the France Pavilion can make this claim and a sommilier would fit in just perfect but this, nah. Theres nothing equisite to this menu to break a age old tradition in this park. Stand behind my original opinion, by seeing the menu i thought I might be swayed to the other side.

LOL and what kid 9 and under will eat from that menu, there arent even any dang chicken tenders or mac and cheese.

Since you quoted me I guess your referring to me but I wasn't referring to the wine. I was referring to the beer and although small at only a selection of 4 they are very well selected. Kronenbourg is very good choice for a French beer that will satisfy the average beer drinker and fits the theme. Saison Dupont is considered one of the best representations of the style in the world and will go great in the hot Florida heat. Chimay Grand Cru is a wonderful trappist Quad that goes great with many dishes. And lastly the Hoegaarden, the only beer represented by Inbev, is the beer that brought the Belgium wheat beer out of extinction. I'm simply shocked Hoegaarden is the only Inbev on the menu with no Budweiser or Stella in sight. That is extremely refreshing and something of a pleasant surprise in a theme park particularly the Magic Kingdom.

rnese

I don't see it becoming a problem...maybe the "locals", but I know after a long, hot day of walking in the 90+ degree heat...I could go for just ONE...nice, cool, frosty, smooth cold one!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not against drinking, but really...show me anyplace where alcohol has ever been beneficial to society and I might not agree that perhaps the world would be better without it. Unless artificially planted, the body has no need for alcohol. Just as it has no definable need for nicotine. We create that need. I do think that in many instances the world would be better without it. For all others it really isn't an issue one way or the other. Alcohol does make a good disinfectant but only when used externally.

The same could be said for ice cream. Causes obesity, bad if you are diabetic and not fun if you are lactose intolerant. But for the average person Ice cream eaten in moderation is a refreshing treat and tastes great. Should we ban ice cream too? Seems pretty silly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think this thread has some good points on both sides and remained relatively civil considering the topic. Based on my posts you can tell which side I fall on. However, I do see the point on the tradition side. If they said we will never serve alcohol in the MK because of tradition I would have no problem with that. As stated by many others there are plenty of other places to get a drink. I definitely would still have eaten at BOG if it did not have alcohol, but now that it does I will definitely have a beer at dinner there. If they start rolling beer carts out on main street I will definitely have a problem. I really don't see that happening, but they might consider offering it at Liberty Tree or Tony's soon. As long as it stays as drinks with dinner (no bar to just grab a beer). With all of the cameras and you tube there are very, very few examples of drunks at WDW. Tens of millions of visitors a year and a few bad seeds caught on video. Not an epidemic in my opinion.

Goofyernmost

The same could be said for ice cream. Causes obesity, bad if you are diabetic and not fun if you are lactose intolerant. But for the average person Ice cream eaten in moderation is a refreshing treat and tastes great. Should we ban ice cream too? Seems pretty silly.

Not that I think that the example of Ice Cream is even close to being the same thing, just for the sake of discussion, no one was ever killed in a car crash because of impaired ability brought on by having an extra Ice Cream Sandwich. Alcohol has the ability to alter our motor functions and our judgment to the point that renders many unable to function in a responsible manner.

Again, I don't have a problem with anyone drinking responsibly, but I have lived long enough to not just think, but to be sure that there will be some that cannot or will not. The location is what I am concerned about and the possible problems that could cause in an area of the park that is primarily designed for kids.

I did see, on another board, a copy of the menu that will be used at that particular restaurant and for the most part the choices are not only amazingly expensive, but in many cases unpronounceable. :) It won't exactly be a Bud Light moment for anyone. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it all turns out. I'm guessing that a more refined drunk is less upsetting then your run of the mill types, is how they are thinking.:D

doctornick

Sounds like its pretty controlled and no worries there, I'm just surprised, as "Magic Kingdom parks are dry" always seemed like one of Disneyparks' Ten Commandments

I don't think anyone has brought this up in this thread (surprisingly), but... the "rule" about no alcohol in the Disneyland style parks went out the window years ago when they allowed it in Paris. Even ignoring the private club situation of Club 33, it seems that Disney has already allowed that tradition to be modified in an appropriate circumstance. And I guess the argument is "if it's good enough for a park based in France, why not in a restaurant based upon France?"

Which brings me to a question... does anyone think that this change will lead to HKDL or Shanghai featuring alcohol? Especially Shanghai since it is being built now, so it would be easy to add it in and not have to deal with "changing tradition" since there is no tradition at that park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not that I think that the example of Ice Cream is even close to being the same thing, just for the sake of discussion, no one was ever killed in a car crash because of impaired ability brought on by having an extra Ice Cream Sandwich. Alcohol has the ability to alter our motor functions and our judgment to the point that renders some unable to function in a responsible manner.

Again, I don't have a problem with anyone drinking responsibly, but I have lived long enough to not just think, but to be sure that there will be some that cannot or will not. The location is what I am concerned about and the possible problems that could cause in an area of the park that is primarily designed for kids.

I did see, on another board, a copy of the menu that will be used at that particular restaurant and for the most part the choices are not only amazingly expensive, but in many cases unpronounceable. :) It won't exactly be a Bud Light moment for anyone. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

We can agree to disagree on the evils of alcohol. I agree with your opinion that it won't be a bud light moment. They picked some nice beers and a rather extensive wine list. Pretty classy in my opinion. I still think if someone wants to get wasted they will go to a bar somewhere else. Why pay $90 to get into MK and $6 to $10+ a beer when there are some great bars nearby with happy hour specials and a much better environment to party.

doctornick

I did see, on another board, a copy of the menu that will be used at that particular restaurant and for the most part the choices are not only amazingly expensive, but in many cases unpronounceable.

Amazingly expensive? It's a theme park, so you expect some price inflation, but it really isn't too bad compared to what you'd get in a typical restaurant in the real world. I mean, a glass of wine in a restaurant is typically going to be $6-12, which isn't much less than what BoG has. And $6-7 for a glass of imported beer isn't too far out of whack either.

I actually looked at the beverage menu and thought "huh, cheaper than I'd expect for the only alcohol available in the park given the options available".

Texas84

meh.jpg

I'm over it

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Amazingly expensive? It's a theme park, so you expect some price inflation, but it really isn't too bad compared to what you'd get in a typical restaurant in the real world. I mean, a glass of wine in a restaurant is typically going to be $6-12, which isn't much less than what BoG has. And $6-7 for a glass of imported beer isn't too far out of whack either.

I actually looked at the beverage menu and thought "huh, cheaper than I'd expect for the only alcohol available in the park given the options available".

I found the Chimay Blue on the beer menu for $8 at Eulogy in Philly (great bar with a 5 page beer menu and reasonably priced beers). They are charging $10.50 so not an outrageous markup for a theme park restaurant. Hoegaarden for $6.25 seems reasonable too. No clue about the other 2.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom