Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

elchippo

Sounds like its pretty controlled and no worries there, I'm just surprised, as "Magic Kingdom parks are dry" always seemed like one of Disneyparks' Ten Commandments

Disneyhead'71

Once again, Walt started selling booze in his Magic Kingdom at one table service restaurant in 1967. So, since Walt did it, how is the MK doing it going against Walt's legacy?

So are all you "No Booze" folks for the stopping of selling alcohol at ALL Disney Parks? Walt didn't want the sale of alcohol in his parks (except that he himself sold alcohol in the one Disney Park that existed during his lifetime). I am pretty sure had he still been alive EPCOT Center would have been dry also.

lazyboy97o

Tradition for the sake of tradition is not exactly full of meaning. This is not about people seeking to get drunk when it is part of a meal experience. To most who shall partake it will be about the experience of the food and beverage combinations. Walt also had a rather specific reasoning that went along with other traditions, such as the dress code and grooming standards, that have long since been dropped. The context of the situation has changed. The reasoning was not about directly protecting children, it was about controlling an environment that has changed.

Once again, Walt started selling booze in his Magic Kingdom at one table service restaurant in 1967. So, since Walt did it, how is the MK doing it going against Walt's legacy?
Because there is a difference between Club 33 and everything else. It's a rather weak counterpoint.

Disneyhead'71

How, pray tell, did he do that, he died in 1966!

From Wiki:

"When Walt Disney was working with various corporate promoters for his attractions at the 1964–1965 New York World's Fair, he noted the various "VIP Lounges" provided as an accommodation for the corporate elite. This gave him the idea that culminated in Club 33. When New Orleans Square was planned, this special area for corporate sponsors and VIPs was included. Disney asked artist Dorothea Redmond to paint renderings and hired Hollywood set director Emil Kuri to decorate the facility.[3] While originally intended for exclusive use by Disneyland's Corporate sponsors and other industry VIPs, when Club 33 opened in May 1967—five months after Disney's death—individual memberships were also offered."

Not that I have anything against "newbies". After all, we were all one at some point. But why is it there are so many that have come on to this thread and insulted people for being unhappy with this decision?

I'm confused. Who has insulted anyone? I've read the whole thread and don't see much.

It's something Disney had done fine without for 41 years at the park. It's a tradition that wasn't necessary to break. If you can't get through a French themed meal without alcohol, then you've got some issues.

No one has said we can't get through a French themed meal without alcohol. The point is that the alcohol enhances the experience. This is a table service French restaurant striving for fine dining at dinnertime. A glass of wine makes that more enjoyable for some.

@WDWForTwo

For those worried about people being drunk in the park. There are people that are drunk in the park every single day. You don't have to drink in the park, to be drunk in the park.

Secondly, like others have said, I don't foresee a lot of people hanging out at this restaurant and buying 10, $6.25 beers and then going for a ride on the Tea Cups.

M.rudolf

Club 33 is not open to the public. It's completely different.
It's not completely different it's a restaurant/ bar located in a Disney park. Yes you do have to have membership but it still sells alcohol. I really don't have an opinion either way and can totally understand both sides. The only thing you can do is write Disney and also show your approval/disapproval with your wallet

captainkidd

So people don't get drunk in private clubs? It is still alcohol being sold to and consumed by guests inside a MK park. It seems that any concern over drunken guest behavior would apply to either.

I don't care about people getting drunk. If they do and get out of hand, they'll be tossed. No biggie. I don't like the idea because it has always been policy that no booze was served in any public area of the Magic Kingdom.

captainkidd

It's not completely different it's a restaurant/ bar located in a Disney park. Yes you do have to have membership but it still sells alcohol. I really don't have an opinion either way and can totally understand both sides. The only thing you can do is write Disney and also show your approval/disapproval with your wallet

Like I said before, I don't like the decision, but I can deal with it if they contain it to just the 1 restaurant. If they start making excuses why they should sell it all over the park, then I'm gonna have a major issue with it. I wouldn't put anything past this current team that's in charge in Orlando. They'd close the CoP and sell off the parts if they saw a sizable enough profit in it for them.

PolynesianPrincess

Personally, I see no problems with having a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. As long as they keep the alcohol INSIDE the restaurants, I don't see what the big deal is. People are going to get drunk if they want to,. they will find a way. Who's to say people aren't going to Epcot, having a drink or 10 and then coming to MK? Or doing the pub crawl along the monorail resorts and coming to MK half in the bag? I've never seen anyone stumbling drunk at any of the parks and I've been visiting yearly since I was 6 months old. Who can afford it when margaritas are $9-10 a pop at Epcot? I say keep alcohol inside the restaurants, limit how many a person can have, say 2 per person, per meal and don't serve it at any of the QS places or have any alcohol stands.

captainkidd

Personally, I see no problems with having a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. As long as they keep the alcohol INSIDE the restaurants, I don't see what the big deal is. People are going to get drunk if they want to,. they will find a way. Who's to say people aren't going to Epcot, having a drink or 10 and then coming to MK? Or doing the pub crawl along the monorail resorts and coming to MK half in the bag? I've never seen anyone stumbling drunk at any of the parks and I've been visiting yearly since I was 6 months old. Who can afford it when margaritas are $9-10 a pop at Epcot?

For the same reason people were upset with the closing of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The ride was lame, but it was a classic. Tradition. That means a lot to Disney purists.

M.rudolf

Tradition for the sake of tradition is not exactly full of meaning. This is not about people seeking to get drunk when it is part of a meal experience. To most who shall partake it will be about the experience of the food and beverage combinations. Walt also had a rather specific reasoning that went along with other traditions, such as the dress code and grooming standards, that have long since been dropped. The context of the situation has changed. The reasoning was not about directly protecting children, it was about controlling an environment that has
Because there is a difference between Club 33 and everything else. It's a rather weak counterpoint.
What's the difference,that it's a private club. What rich people don't get drunk too. It's still a restaurant that sells alcohol on park premises. It's as near a direct comparison as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom