Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

rob0519

Be Our Guest will serve wine and beer around dinnertime, according to the theme park reporter at the Orlando Sentinel.

I'm very disappointed. Alcohol is served at all the other parks and resorts. I don't understand why there can't be one place where people can't over indulge.

dman1373

I feel like this is almost the same arguement against the legalization of pot. You know slippery slope, over indulge, and all. For this I think its quite silly to allow the lack of self control of a small minority to hinder the rest of us from enjoying stuff like beer, wine, and even rum in the magic kingdom. Its not like having the alcohol takes you out of the experience, in fact alot of these places seem odd not having alchool there. Especially all the taverns.

And im just wondering when in any of the other parks have you seen a stumbling drunk fools causing problems. I for one haven't, and i have been did the world many times.

HokieDevil

Why isn't the solution this...if you don't like it, then don't order it. If you do now you have the choice. I think those using the tradition and nostalgia reasoning forget that in a park that is never done and constantly evolving holding on to a tradition is near impossible. It was a tradition to ride Mr toads wild ride with my grandmother....oh well, and with that I leave you with a classic Homer Simpson-ism (as I raise my beer) "To alcohol; the cause of and solution to all of life's problems."

AEfx

Its not like having the alcohol takes you out of the experience, in fact alot of these places seem odd not having alchool there.

I think what some people find odd is that it's not odd, LOL.

Basically, if you are a drinker, you think it's odd that you cannot get alcohol in a theme park. To people who do not drink, it is odd that people find it odd that not every place you go serves beer or liquor.

I have a friend who has to deal with this issue constantly, and it's quite amusing. Her husband comes from a "dry" family, and my friend comes from a family where, I kid you not, at a 2 year-old's noontime birthday party, has a case of champagne for the adults. One family thinks that's insane, the other thinks it would be insane not to.

I don't really drink (honestly just never found anything I liked the taste of, it's nothing to do with the effects or any other issue), so I do notice when others have more alcohol-centric views. To people who have those views they would debate "-centric", as in many places it's "normal" - but when alcohol is part of one's daily life, or is missed when not part of a theme park experience, I do notice.

Honestly I personally don't care, as long as there aren't beer carts everywhere (mostly because I find the smell terrible), but I do find it fascinating to see the different perspectives and that some people really do think about/drink every day. It's foreign to me, I guess that's why I find it interesting.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Just a question, is there anyting left of the "speicalness" of Disney's ideal Magic Kingdom?

Visting Magic Kingdom used to mean, clean shaven, short hair, no mustaches or beards, and no alcohol. All of that has changed.

I think its just chipping away at what made Magic Kingdom unique. People can argue that "times change" but the whole idea of MK was supposed to be a different kind of reality, separate from the outside world. I don't think alcohol is more necessary than it used to be, or is more required by people when planning their vacations.

Lisalyn

Based on traditions involving MK it makes me a little sad that MK is no longer dry. However, some people enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or whatever. I don't think BoG would have been my first choice as far as the alcohol option (as everyone else has mentioned - the new tavern would have made more sense) BUT MK is growing and with growth comes change. Some will like it and some won't! It won't stop me from going to any Disney parks - it is what it is....I used to drink. I haven't in about 5 years. Life is about choices. So choose your battles wisely :D

G00fyDad

I'm not sure why people have a big problem with this. Don't drink if you don't want. Alcohol is not an evil. Go spend some time in Europe and see how well beer, wine, and spirits integrate into everyday life. Its just kinda there, and is rarely abused. The lack of beer and wine in the MK makes Disney look like they are scared of something. No need for that fear. EPCOT, DHS, and AK all work really well with the "expanded beverage options."

The higher standards of the restaurant will likely make me a customer. It is nice to see some more options at the MK. Good job Disney.

I don't think people's problem is quite with MK selling alcohol, but with how the public is going to deal with another spot that sells it. Sure, the people can go just about anywhere outside of MK and get alcohol, but to have it directly in MK seems, to some, as a more open invitation to get drunk. Also, your comparison to European citizens doesn't equate well. Beer, wine, and spirits may very well integrate into their daily lives, but that is not quite the case here. (Take a look at the infield of any NASCAR race. o_O) Too many people in this country drink like it is a sport. That being said, people really should ease up a bit. It is sold at a restaurant, not a kiosk.

G00fyDad

Just a question, is there anyting left of the "speicalness" of Disney's ideal Magic Kingdom?

Visting Magic Kingdom used to mean, clean shaven, short hair, no mustaches or beards, and no alcohol. All of that has changed.

I think its just chipping away at what made Magic Kingdom unique. People can argue that "times change" but the whole idea of MK was supposed to be a different kind of reality, separate from the outside world. I don't think alcohol is more necessary than it used to be, or is more required by people when planning their vacations.

Because it is not Walt's 1950's any longer. Anyone who thinks that Disney parks were going to be the same throughout their lifetime was deluding themselves. Even Walt would have seen some change. I still miss the original feel of EPCOT and am pi**ed that it does not "feel" or look the same. But I keep in mind that things like this evolve, and this is one of those instances.

captainkidd

I don't think people's problem is quite with MK selling alcohol, but with how the public is going to deal with another spot that sells it. Sure, the people can go just about anywhere outside of MK and get alcohol, but to have it directly in MK seems, to some, as a more open invitation to get drunk. Also, your comparison to European citizens doesn't equate well. Beer, wine, and spirits may very well integrate into their daily lives, but that is not quite the case here. (Take a look at the infield of any NASCAR race. o_O) Too many people in this country drink like it is a sport. That being said, people really should ease up a bit. It is sold at a restaurant, not a kiosk.

I'm upset because it breaks a long standing tradition at the Magic Kingdom. I find it disrespectful not only to the memory of Walt Disney, but also to the legion of die-hard Disney fanatics who have found the Magic Kingdom to truly be the place where you escape the outside world, and as the sign out front says, "Enter a world of fantasy". It's a corporate sell out on the highest level. It's like so many other things at WDW that some of us have issue with. Change is one thing, but when you do something that takes away from the experience or messes with tradition, it's upsetting.

If they manage to keep it at this 1 restaurant, I won't like it, but I'll learn to deal with it. If they start selling Bud Light at popcorn stands throughout the park, then I'm done.

TeriofTerror

The Magic Kingdom is no more "Walt's park" than Epcot is. He wasn't around when either of the parks were built. We've been moving in this direction at a glacier-like speed ever since alcohol first entered a Disney park with Epcot's opening 30 years ago, and I think it's about time we arrived. It's another option for guests, and a money-maker for Disney. Win-win!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm upset because it breaks a long standing tradition at the Magic Kingdom. I find it disrespectful not only to the memory of Walt Disney, but also to the legion of die-hard Disney fanatics who have found the Magic Kingdom to truly be the place where you escape the outside world, and as the sign out front says, "Enter a world of fantasy". It's a corporate sell out on the highest level. It's like so many other things at WDW that some of us have issue with. Change is one thing, but when you do something that takes away from the experience or messes with tradition, it's upsetting.

If they manage to keep it at this 1 restaurant, I won't like it, but I'll learn to deal with it. If they start selling Bud Light at popcorn stands throughout the park, then I'm done.
If you are standing in line at Jungle Cruise, how is the fact that someone is sipping wine with their meal at BoG messing with your experience?

G00fyDad

I wonder how many of us have realized that this is 270 posts about an issue that is going to happen whether we like it or not, and will most likely not alter our trips even 0.0000000000000001%?

captainkidd

If you are standing in line at Jungle Cruise, how is the fact that someone is sipping wine with their meal at BoG messing with your experience?

It won't. Like I said, I don't like the breaking of tradition, but if they stick to just this 1 restaurant, I'll deal with it. If I start seeing beer sold around the park, then the experience is ruined.

captainkidd

I wonder how many of us have realized that this is 270 posts about an issue that is going to happen whether we like it or not, and will most likely not alter our trips even 0.0000000000000001%?

Aren't all threads about things that will or won't happen whether we like it or not?

Disneyhead'71

Remember, they started selling spirits at Walt's Magic Kingdom at only 1 table service restaurant in 1967. This seems to be carrying on with Walt's tradition, not breaking from it.

cookiee_munster

think people are over reacting here. alcohol will be served with a meal. traditionally in France even older children have a glass of wine with their meal. same rules apply in the UK. a person under the age of 21, is allowed an alcoholic beverage as long as its served with a meal and paid for by an adult.

for thematic purposes i think its great that French tradition is upheld within The Be Our Guest restaurant. as stated, guests wont be allowed to leave the premises with the alcoholic beverage. Also, who in their right mind would think of going into a restaurant in Disney, paying an extortionate price just to get drunk? i think the chances are very slim indeed.

some folk talk about tradition that it should stay a dry park. what if the dress code was amended to fit with 1950's standards? id say about 90% of visitors wouldn't be allowed in! lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom