Magic Kingdom All The Time Thread

SirGoofy

^I know you were just speculating, but you just never know with the way they do things lately.

P.S. I'm ecstatic to see all the love for the Skippers/JC. Thanks for the love everyone!:D

DisneyPrincess5

^I know you were just speculating, but you just never know with the way they do things lately.

P.S. I'm ecstatic to see all the love for the Skippers/JC. Thanks for the love everyone!:D

Yes yes...the skippers are much loved and awesome! Some of the biggest laughs of our trips are due to them!

Personally, we love the one about the tribe losing the key to the men's room :lol: Al oldie but a goodie.

gustaftp

IMO, Living with the Land is much better now that it doesn't have a dis-interested/bored spieler who you could barely hear anyhow. I haven't been on the Tram Tour with the new changes... so I don't know how I feel about that one. It might suck out a lot of the attraction's premise of being on a "real" movie backlot, but I'll reserve judgment until I've been on it.

The two rides that cannot be sustained without the spiels are Jungle Cruise and the Great Movie Ride.

Animaniac93-98

OK, I just listened to the original Hall of Presidents program and re-read Wide Your World's excellent article on the attraction (http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/hop.htm) and I have some thoughts:

- First and obviously, the original show was so much better at what it tired to be, a showcase for American optimism and the importance of the constitution and it's ideals (hence the 1787 on the building). Voice work was fantastic (as anything with Paul Frees is) as was the pacing, music and general tone for what a WDW attraction should be.

- The slavery centric focus has got to go. I know some scholars would be ticked, but when was the last time any of them were seen at MK eating a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar? This show isn't meant for them or the PBS crowd who expects a 4 hour, PC, somber depiction of American history. Main Street is not really the Main Street your gramps lived on, Adventureland is not really like trekking through a really jungle, the American frontier didn't have singin' bears. The show is meant to represent and ideal depectied in a positive and inspirational way. Anyone expecting otherwise is just looking for trouble or attention or has mearly forgotten than next to the ride is a 189 foot high castle named after a fairy tale princess. This is not to say the Hall of Presidents should be disrespectful and historicaly innacurate, but it's tone, while respectful should not be out of line with the rest of the park. The new show is both historically innacurate and is depressing in tone. It fails as a WDW attraction for those reasons.

- I still say Lincoln should be the only speaker and Royal Dano's voice and speach should be sued because it just works so well. Having 3 presidents talk sounds like overkill to me but if all 3 could address the same point Lincoln origially did the maybe it coudl work (but I'm worried given Disney's recent efforts in attraction script writing).

EPCOT Explorer

OK, I just listened to the original Hall of Presidents program and re-read Wide Your World's excellent article on the attraction (http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/hop.htm) and I have some thoughts:

- First and obviously, the original show was so much better at what it tired to be, a showcase for American optimism and the importance of the constitution and it's ideals (hence the 1787 on the building). Voice work was fantastic (as anything with Paul Frees is) as was the pacing, music and general tone for what a WDW attraction should be.

- The slavery centric focus has got to go. I know some scholars would be ticked, but when was the last time any of them were seen at MK eating a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar? This show isn't meant for them or the PBS crowd who expects a 4 hour, PC, somber depiction of American history. Main Street is not really the Main Street your gramps lived on, Adventureland is not really like trekking through a really jungle, the American frontier didn't have singin' bears. The show is meant to represent and ideal depectied in a positive and inspirational way. Anyone expecting otherwise is just looking for trouble or attention or has mearly forgotten than next to the ride is a 189 foot high castle named after a fairy tale princess. This is not to say the Hall of Presidents should be disrespectful and historicaly innacurate, but it's tone, while respectful should not be out of line with the rest of the park. The new show is both historically innacurate and is depressing in tone. It fails as a WDW attraction for those reasons.

- I still say Lincoln should be the only speaker and Royal Dano's voice and speach should be sued because it just works so well. Having 3 presidents talk sounds like overkill to me but if all 3 could address the same point Lincoln origially did the maybe it coudl work (but I'm worried given Disney's recent efforts in attraction script writing).
You sir, for the win!:king:

I'm thinking if they do, do the 3 Presidents talking, it will be ala American Adventure and have them conversing.:D I would rather like that.:D

Animaniac93-98

I'm thinking if they do, do the 3 Presidents talking, it will be ala American Adventure and have them conversing.:D I would rather like that.:D

Obama: Remember last year's winter?

Washington: Oh God! The snow was up to here! Ya just couldn't shovel the stuff!

Lincoln: And the kids couldn't get to school so guess who had to stay and look after the nephew? Me! And the darn brat complained about the sandwich I made for him.

Obama: My car was frozen so I couldn't get dinner that night and it took forever to get the pizza guy to show up.

Lincoln: Well what did ya expect? It was like 50 below outside!

Washington: The heat went off at my house one day...

Obama: How did you survive? Oh by the way... *raises teapot*

Washington: *sees teapot* no thanks, but thank God for electric blankets, of course Martha b****** through the whole thing but you couldn't blame her.

Lincoln: I wouldn't.

Obama: Oh and did you hear about Cleaveland?

Washington: Cleaveland?! Don't get me started on Cleaveland!

Lincoln: Here it comes...

Washington: Well if he never returned you lawnmower, you'd be mad at him too! I'll just change the subject, read the new Martha Stewart mag?

Obama: It's fabulous! Do you think I'd miss it? Lincoln, if you havn't got it...

Lincoln: Way ahead of you, I already got my copy and did you see that recipe on page 46?

and so it goes...

jt04

Really well said. I think American Adventure does such a great job of dealing with the Civil War.

To me, The Hall of Presidents should be about the principles behind the founding of the nation. So having GW speak seems critically important. Lincoln should then speak on the cost and importance of preserving freedom for all and then the current President (whomever it is) should speak about accepting that challange. The attraction then becomes timeless and relevant.

EPCOT Explorer

Lincoln: And the kids couldn't get to school so guess who had to stay and look after the nephew? Me! And the darn brat complained about the sandwich I made for him.

Obama: My car was frozen so I couldn't get dinner that night and it took forever to get the pizza guy to show up.

Washington: *sees teapot* no thanks, but thank God for electric blankets, of course Martha b****** through the whole thing but you couldn't blame her.

Washington: Well if he never returned you lawnmower, you'd be mad at him too! I'll just change the subject, read the new Martha Stewart mag?

Obama: It's fabulous! Do you think I'd miss it? Lincoln, if you havn't got it...

Lincoln: Way ahead of you, I already got my copy and did you see that recipe on page 46?

and so it goes...

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Mr. Jefferson, dear Mr. Jefferson...

EpcotServo

Oh but Dontchaknow Cleaveland was such a help during Earl & Sam's wedding back in October, course the kids did such a good job by themselves with all the planning. Now Joe Slozack and Mary Cutler, now that was just a disaster back then, and you know what heppened to them right? Oh just the other day Joe called me up and went on and on about how they just can't pay back these loans, and I just say I what I says was that he knows they shouldn'tve gotten those awful big loans in the first place, I mean at the wedding what was it they had? Was it the Crabs? No, no it was the Lobster, which was reedicklus cause' which ya just know nobody touched, and I told him that that was just a mistake because nobody liked them gosh darn it, but he's so bad with money you just know that they ended up like this and just if you gonna' go around spending that kind of Lobster money of course you're gonna' end up short of cash. Now thank minnatoba Frank is good with the spendings, heavin forbid just anythun what happened to him, that just stuff now goes right over my head dontchaknow. Course there's always Jim dear, poor thing. He'd help me but he's so busy there, where they're workin' him to the bone down at the Citgo. I know Martha, I know. I told him a Million times back when he was yay feet high that he needed to be better with the studys, course that was way back during that awful freeze we had. When was that? Anywho, that freeze was just so bad it makes this one look like the four of joo-ly, but the Driveway just got all frosted up and they canshooled the schools and seech, and I kept tellin', Frank, Frank, Frank, and he just wouldn't spray down the Driveway so I could go down to the supermarket, cause' that was what when they had the Crazy Days and all the produce was 2 for 1, and these days that's just too good to pass up even in a cotton-picken' shnow storm, I says Frank I'm goin. Though that was thoose days, not these days silly since nobody can course' get that kind a price on vegatables these days. But I'm tellin' ya, that's all nuthin' compared to this snow now don'tchaknow.

moreno

GMR has a script with 3 or 4 options that the tour guide can choose, thus making it more personalized. I think JC should be like this...let the CM make choices, but within an approved guideline. And if a CM has a brilliant idea for any additions, than there should be some sort of approval process. And if they dont think WDI would approve it, then that should be a good enough test that it shouldn't be said. All im saying is Disney shouldnt leave creative content up to a CP. And if you would argue the contrary-that the performer should be able to make whatever spiel he or she likes, then the company should audition for JC just like it does for Idol, Streetmosphere, HoopDeeDo. But I know this is not the case for any of the spieled attractions such as JC or GMR.

SirGoofy

GMR has a script with 3 or 4 options that the tour guide can choose, thus making it more personalized. I think JC should be like this...let the CM make choices, but within an approved guideline. And if a CM has a brilliant idea for any additions, than there should be some sort of approval process. And if they dont think WDI would approve it, then that should be a good enough test that it shouldn't be said. All im saying is Disney shouldnt leave creative content up to a CP. And if you would argue the contrary-that the performer should be able to make whatever spiel he or she likes, then the company should audition for JC just like it does for Idol, Streetmosphere, HoopDeeDo. But I know this is not the case for any of the spieled attractions such as JC or GMR.

:rolleyes:

Yea let's drain all the creativity.

Figment632

There's a reason for that but I'm not gonna get into it.:lookaroun

Yea ive always thought this and its not just the script it always seems to me that it is very rare to get a good CM on the GRM but not as rare on the JC but do have to say that Ive never had a skipper as good as you.

moreno

:rolleyes:

Yea let's drain all the creativity.

I apologize if you are a great skipper, Im sure you are since you obviously enjoy what you do. I guess my opinion is based on the fact Ive rarely seen a great skipper or any spieler on the spieled attractions. Its just a rare thing to come by, and I think sadly you are the exception to the majority. And often times a "dry" script can be saved by just an ounce of creative delivery.

Figment632

I apologize if you are a great skipper, Im sure you are since you obviously enjoy what you do. I guess my opinion is based on the fact Ive rarely seen a great skipper or any spieler on the spieled attractions. Its just a rare thing to come by, and I think sadly you are the exception to the majority. And often times a "dry" script can be saved by just an ounce of creative delivery.

Not rare on the JC but rare on the GMR

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom