Magic Carpets of Aladdin Rumor.

RoRo

That concept art for the carpets in Tokyo look very nice.

I don't really care if Aladdin goes or not, I don't care for spinners very much.

MinnieSummer

I personally love the spitting camals. They are funny and inevitably my husband always gets spit on which makes me happy.

As for the removal of the ride, well, lets face it folks, after what they did to the hub in MK, I can't help but think that the removal of the ride would result in a great big concrete slab. No trees, or fountains, or anything but a big scalding hot in the summer, concrete slab. I'd rather have the ride there than a the slab.

bgraham34

I personally love the spitting camals. They are funny and inevitably my husband always gets spit on which makes me happy.

As for the removal of the ride, well, lets face it folks, after what they did to the hub in MK, I can't help but think that the removal of the ride would result in a great big concrete slab. No trees, or fountains, or anything but a big scalding hot in the summer, concrete slab. I'd rather have the ride there than a the slab.

I agree with you. Or if anything else is put there it will be to sell DVC.

Master Gracey 5

Cost of Removal/Replacement
+
Loss of Hourly Capacity
>
Savings from reusing parts in Tokyo (not owned by TWDC) or Fantasyland
+
Improved aesthetics/flow.

The other rumor mentioned in this thread was the repurposing of the ride as the second Dumbo spinner, so there technically wouldn't be a loss of capacity in the park. I'd say it makes sense that they would move the Aladdin carpets since they want the focus to be on the new Dumbo tent and ride queue than a smaller attraction on the other side of the park.

pax_65

I hope not. I actually really like the Magic Carpets. It gives me a chance to ride that type of ride without having to wait in the hour+ long lines for Dumbo.

Well... there's always Primeval Whirl. Never much of a line for THAT! :lookaroun

KingdomHeart

PAX - I think you mean Triceratops Spin - Primeval Whirl is the coaster/spinning car hybrid I always do, even if it means a headache after! And that can sometimes have a 45 minute line.

I probably wouldn't miss Dumbo too much. I think Adventureland is kind of barren as it is, yes, compared to other lands (except Liberty Square, which is why they combine as AdLib for CMs sometimes), but I hate basically trying to DIVE through Adventureland.

That's one of the reasons I go to Disney parks and not just Six Flags (Great Adventure is about 25 minutes from me, and I instead go to WDW and DLR). SF:GA seems like someone just put a lot of merch for a movie everywhere and poof - its an "area." I love the theming, the look, the atmosphere of Disney parks. I don't think we'll get the Indy ride, but I'd LOVE to. If they put it in MK (which, I know DHS needs it more as its like the world's most anemic park) it could do a lot for Adventureland, hidden the way DLR's is. There isn't room, or need, I know. But still.

The Carpets were always a better fit for Fantasyland, imo. They are fun, simple but still magical. Dumbo was there first, though, (and as I am a crazy psycho Dumbo fan - I collect Dumbo stuff (my husband-to-be has big ears and blue eyes so we NEVER miss anything Dumbo - especially the attraction)) and so I just think its too bad for Aladdin. If Dinoland, USA over in AK ever goes the way of the Dino, maybe something Aladdin in Asia in AK, maybe.

-Nicholas

pax_65

PAX - I think you mean Triceratops Spin - Primeval Whirl is the coaster/spinning car hybrid I always do, even if it means a headache after! And that can sometimes have a 45 minute line.

That's right! Thanks for the correction. I'm certainly no expert on Dinoland USA... (and not a fan, either!)

When my kids were younger we did Dumbo a few times and they loved it... then we discovered Triceratops Spin and Aladdin's Carpets and did those instead - much less of a line!

KingdomHeart

That's right! Thanks for the correction. I'm certainly no expert on Dinoland USA... (and not a fan, either!)

When my kids were younger we did Dumbo a few times and they loved it... then we discovered Triceratops Spin and Aladdin's Carpets and did those instead - much less of a line!

(Not a huge Dinoland fan here either - I only love one thing there) If I weren't such a crazy Dumbo fan, I would probably do the others - but my heart belongs to Dumbo. I'll also do Astro Orbitor at night, cuz that's AMAZINGLY worth it.

-Nicholas

SMRT-1

all for bringing AL back to it's original form! that area was not designed for that gigantic carpet ride. bring it to Fantasyland i don't care...just make that area clean again.

The "Pro"

I would rather have the ride than an open space too.

cmheisel

What happened to the Hub? [ot]

What changes happened to the hub (in MK I presume)?

I was there in '89 but don't have many memories/photos to compare with my more "modern" trips.

hpyhnt 1000

What changes happened to the hub (in MK I presume)?

I was there in '89 but don't have many memories/photos to compare with my more "modern" trips.

Basically went from being a park with lovely, mature trees and numerous benches to a pink and gray flat hellscape that is constantly scortched by the sun.

Okay, a little hyperbole there, but basically all the trees were torn out, the planters were made smaller, and the area was paved over to ease the congestion of the massive crowds (that never materialized) for I believe Cinderellabration and other castle stage shows. Also, improving sightlines for Wishes and some of its low level pyro and projections had to do with it as well.

It went from this:
treesInMk2.jpg

4189818832_ff5d4d4dfe_b.jpg

To this:
2284010073_3a890ff965_o.jpg

3574424925_405baac702_b.jpg

Granted, the trees were getting too big and ruining the forced perspective of the castle, but when they re-did the hub, they took it to the nth degree and went a bit too far with the paving and tree removal IMHO.

Master Gracey 5

Basically went from being a park with lovely, mature trees and numerous benches to a pink and gray flat hellscape that is constantly scortched by the sun.

Okay, a little hyperbole there, but basically all the trees were torn out, the planters were made smaller, and the area was paved over to ease the congestion of the massive crowds (that never materialized) for I believe Cinderellabration and other castle stage shows. Also, improving sightlines for Wishes and some of its low level pyro and projections had to do with it as well.

Granted, the trees were getting too big and ruining the forced perspective of the castle, but when they re-did the hub, they took it to the nth degree and went a bit too far with the paving and tree removal IMHO.

Anyone know exactly when they did this? We didn't get a chance to go from 2000-2006, so there were a lot of changes we noticed at that time and this was one of them.

Yeah it takes away the shade in the area, but in terms of grounds maintenance and views, I can understand and support the decision to replace older trees with smaller ones every so often. I want my pictures of the castle to be of the castle, not some 30 year old tree blocking half of it. I can take pictures of trees at home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom