Magic Carpets of Aladdin Rumor.

RSoxNo1

Wasn't there talk that Adventureland would be the next area of the Magic Kingdom to receive attention? Perhaps the carpets would get the axe if that were the case?

aladdin2007

I cant see them removing these already when they just opened not that many years ago. But then stranger things have happened. I agree they off balence the whole look of the area, size, colors, etc etc.

I dont think Adventureland will get any major attention until after the fantasyland expansion. Im hoping for a redone Tiki Room for the 40th at least, but not holding my breath.

DizFanatic

Why so much hatred for this ride? I know it's just a standard off-the-shelf spinning spoke ride, and no I'm not a fan of it, but... little kiddies love it, some moms & dads don't mind taking their kids on it, and it does eat up some people, keeping the lines at the other spinners a little smaller.

Just playing devil's advocate here, please don't start the hate mail. I just don't think it's THAT bad of a thing.

How about if we steal the new harry potter ride system and make a REAL Aladdin's carpet ride??? Hmmmmm? Any Imagineers listening?:lookaroun

Krack

Why so much hatred for this ride?

Well, I can tell you why I hate it.

For me, my favorite part of Adventureland (and Disney attractions in general) is when I feel immersed in its environment. When Disney makes me feel like I'm no longer in an amusement park in the middle of Florida, but instead, I'm someplace else completely. Many of Disney's rides do a great job of accomplishing this - the most obvious examples are Pirates and the Haunted Mansion, but there are plenty of others (The Universe of Energy makes you believe you're in the age of the dinosaurs).

Adventureland was the one place that really accomplished this feeling for the entirety of its land - the cohesiveness of the architecture and design made you feel like (no matter where you were in the land) you were in a 1920s-30s jungle environment. Over the years, they chipped away at the atmosphere, but the Aladdin changes killed the cohesive theme - just nuked it. Ruined 75% of the experience for me.

I can go on rides anywhere. I have 2 different Six Flags parks within a 3.5 hour drive from where I live. What I can't get anywhere but Disney is completely immersive environments. That's what I pay extra for.

MarkTwain

Why so much hatred for this ride? I know it's just a standard off-the-shelf spinning spoke ride, and no I'm not a fan of it, but... little kiddies love it, some moms & dads don't mind taking their kids on it, and it does eat up some people, keeping the lines at the other spinners a little smaller.

Just playing devil's advocate here, please don't start the hate mail. I just don't think it's THAT bad of a thing.

How about if we steal the new harry potter ride system and make a REAL Aladdin's carpet ride??? Hmmmmm? Any Imagineers listening?:lookaroun

Now THAT is something I would like to see for Adventureland.

wolf359

Why so much hatred for this ride?

For me it's because it doesn't physically fit very well in the space it was crammed into, throwing off crowd flow, messing up sightlines, and generally making what used to be a tranquil and exotic environment a complete madhouse.

If it were tucked away, off the main path, or perhaps in it's own Arabian offshoot area I really wouldn't have a (big) problem with it...

flavious27

doesn't matter either way, but magic carpets just seemed to be plopped in its space instead of built into the land and theme. the spitting and talking camel at islands is a better fit.

MiklCraw4d

Well, I can tell you why I hate it.

For me, my favorite part of Adventureland (and Disney attractions in general) is when I feel immersed in its environment. When Disney makes me feel like I'm no longer in an amusement park in the middle of Florida, but instead, I'm someplace else completely. Many of Disney's rides do a great job of accomplishing this - the most obvious examples are Pirates and the Haunted Mansion, but there are plenty of others (The Universe of Energy makes you believe you're in the age of the dinosaurs).

Adventureland was the one place that really accomplished this feeling for the entirety of its land - the cohesiveness of the architecture and design made you feel like (no matter where you were in the land) you were in a 1920s-30s jungle environment. Over the years, they chipped away at the atmosphere, but the Aladdin changes killed the cohesive theme - just nuked it. Ruined 75% of the experience for me.

I can go on rides anywhere. I have 2 different Six Flags parks within a 3.5 hour drive from where I live. What I can't get anywhere but Disney is completely immersive environments. That's what I pay extra for.

Agreed 100%

IRBIWDW

I know I'm in the minority, but I would miss the Carpets. It is my sons favorite. It doesn't have a really long wait. And, it's a quick ride option for the smaller ones when the bigger kids go on Pirates. Plus, we like the camels. :wave:

Master Gracey 5

I keep noticing that most people's argument for why they like the carpets is that the wait isn't long. A few things to point out (IMO):

1) The lack of a wait would indicate to me that the ride is either inferior in some way, or not as popular as the other classic spinners like Dumbo or Astro Orbiter.

2) The wait time should be independent of the enjoyment you get from a typical ride. I could similarly say that I dislike the park benches on Main Street because I can never find an open one.

Now if you enjoy the carpets because Aladdin is your favorite movie and you feel he gets little love in WDW, you're entitled to that opinion. but please just say so in your post, otherwise we get this back and forth bickering that really has no value.

And you are entitled to like the camels - I always liked the big Coke bottle in DHS that sprays you. :animwink:

devoy1701

I like the Carpets... albeit I never ride them...but still like the lift/tilt action going on.

I do agree that they should be moved though. it's just annoying having them in the middle of Adventureland. I say move them to the back of the Morocco pavilion at Epcot near the current Aladdin Meet and Greet!

GASP! A spinner in the World Showcase?! Blasphemy!!! :lol:

BrerFrog

I like the Carpets... albeit I never ride them...but still like the lift/tilt action going on.

I do agree that they should be moved though. it's just annoying having them in the middle of Adventureland. I say move them to the back of the Morocco pavilion at Epcot near the current Aladdin Meet and Greet!

GASP! A spinner in the World Showcase?! Blasphemy!!! :lol:

If that did happen I would make sure to bring a lot of popcorn. :ROFLOL:

Then, after all the angry discussion, I would personally storm EPCOT driving a bulldozer.

devoy1701

Well said Krak. I guess I agree with the placement of the ride, and yes you hit the nail on the head - the immersive experience is why we love Disney so much.

See you in WDW!

don't have to worry about thematic clashing in the Morocco Pavilion!!! :D

honestly though, if they do move it/want to keep it, I dont see it that big of a deal putting it in Morocco, as long as it's in the back, and not in the view of the Showcase Lagoon. Then again, isn't the Morocco Pavilion still sponsored by Morocco? Not sure if they would let that "fly"...

mwbrown

The big problem with using parts of the carpets for parts of Dumbo, is that when they close Dumbo to move the existing one and build the new one, then it would mean if they also closed the carpets to build one of the Dumbos, the park would be down to just one spinner (and the worst one IMO).

Personally, I find the jets make me feel quite sick from the speed and fact that they are on an angle when you go up off the ground. The elevator for loading is also a real limit on ride capacity.

The carpets are a superior spinner to Dumbo in a couple ways. They seat a family of 4, so we all can ride together, and then there is the aforementioned camels. The wait time is lower than Dumbo, and I disagree that this can't be a consideration for why they should stay. We ride Dumbo one time each trip, and while I love the ride and the views of Fantasyland and the castle, the wait even first thing in the morning is PAINFULL!!

Removing the carpets would partially if not largely negate the added capacity of a second Dumbo, so big Dumbo fans should want the carpets to stay so that they can enjoy the new Dumbo with less wait.

RandySavage

This is an interesting comment because it speaks to how well the design vernacular of Adventureland was established by the original Imagineers. Technically, the only attraction that takes place in the time period you've mentioned (1920s) is the Jungle Cruise.

The Swiss Family shipwreck took place in the early 1800s. The golden age of piracy was in the 1700s. The tiki culture of Polynesia existed for centuries before European contact (e.g., 900AD).

In Paris' Adventureland, Arabian/desert themes are masterfully interwoven with African, Indian and Caribbean jungle themes - even Peter Pan - to create a transcendent adventurous experience.

The stories of Arabian Nights could have a welcome place in Magic Kingdom's AL. But Disney opted for cheap cloth awnings in front of existing buildings (the Bazaar) and some very plastic-looking, cartoonish carpets & camels. There's the problem right there: little else in the land is plastic-looking or cartoonish

Had more money been allocated for design and materials (and some new facades), the Carpet attraction could have been well integrated into the style of the land.

puntagordabob

Exactly, there is no such thing as never. Plans change all the time. Personally I think they should move them to a DHS Toontown or to DTD as a ticketed ride. That way it would be out of Adventureland but still available to people who enjoy it.

It's supposed 'Adventureland' not Cheeseyland. :rolleyes:

Hey! I hope you all are right...Id still like to see the Carpets "Fly away"....

Well if they moved it out of Adventureland and made the plaza open like it once was, returning prominence to the pavilion of The Tropical Serenade (why we are at it lets put the DL show in there which is still the Heart of the Tropical Serenade that we all love!)..... this change would be a positive one.

jt04

Hey! I hope you all are right...Id still like to see the Carpets "Fly away"....

Well if they moved it out of Adventureland and made the plaza open like it once was, returning prominence to the pavilion of The Tropical Serenade (why we are at it lets put the DL show in there which is still the Heart of the Tropical Serenade that we all love!)..... this change would be a positive one.

If you are a fan of AL here is a blog that has detailed info....

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/

RandySavage

Had the plastic "brass" of the centerpiece and camels...
3753253193_118c100054_o.jpg

Been done using actual Middle Eastern brass and craftsmanship...
730622896_c2cf19a343_o.jpg

And the Bazaar...
3893863875_7444f08d81_b.jpg

been designed the way we know Disney can do it...
3438955304_2b039a59e9_b.jpg

And the carpets made less plastic and more authentic... it could have been a decent addition.

The problem was in execution (likely due to limited budget).

imagineer boy

Tokyo Disney Sea's Arabian Coast is getting their version of the magic carpets, but they look a HECK of a lot better and actually fit the land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom