Magic Carpets of Aladdin Rumor.

wolf359

I'd be overjoyed to see the Magic Carpets go. It's probably the only case I could think of where removing an attraction would actually be a positive thing.

That plaza is so congested because of the ride that Adventureland is no longer a fun place to be, but an obstacle to overcome to get to Pirates.

A water feature, a planter, or even just some honest-to-gosh open space would all be appreciated. Reopen the A-Land Veranda and Pirata y Perico, and give Jungle Cruise some well-deserved plussing and I'd be absolutely ecstatic.

champdisney

I would like to see the Magic Carpets go and hopefully after the Fantasyland expansion is complete, they'll work with something to improve Adventureland.

Which definitely needs it.

WDWFigment

I honestly don't remember the area before the Carpets. It seems like it would be really wide open. Although I really don't care for those carpets...

wolf359

For some great Adventureland background, Widen Your World's article is well worth reading: http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/adv.htm

I remember Adventureland pre-Carpets well enough that every time I head through there it's always a bit of a shock to the senses. There always seems to be too much going on, too many people, and too many strollers littering the path.

I'm sure on paper it seemed like a good idea to add the spinner, as it physically fits in the space, albeit barely, and adds another attraction to the Magic Kingdom's mostly-stagnant roster, but the reality of actually having it stuffed into the middle of Adventureland just creates an unappealing bottleneck.

lazyboy97o

But i feel like OLC's going to plop down some insane amount of money for this... are they really going for pre-used carpets?
Why not? If they work and look like what you want to do, save some money and use the used carpets. That sort of wise use of money frees up a little extra for the little details that make everything work better.

Dwarful

Well honestly I don't care too much either way. It does make it easy to let the kids ride w/o waiting an hour or running straight for Dumbo at rope drop.

hazelrah

you'd need to ask the Japanese. Disney really has nothing to do with TDL or giving it any of the "carpets" as mentioned.

I'm a little confused by the logic in saying that Disney has nothing to do with TDL, yet it provides the Imagineers and gets a large licensing fee. It is correct that OLC owns and operates the park, but the creative force behind it is Disney (along with the sort of give-and-take that goes with any corporate relationship). OLC can't add attractions like the Carpets without going through Disney.

Maybe OLC requested that the name be changed to "Jasmine", but at the very least, Disney signed off on it. Frankly I don't care which entity started the "Jasmine" thing, only that in the end they got it wrong, since the carpets always belonged to Aladdin.

At any rate, I dislike the Carpets no matter what name they go by, since these sorts of carnival rides are not the reason I love Disney theme parks. That means I also dislike Dumbo, the tea cups, and the Speedway. I hope Adventureland gets restored, but I'm guessing this is just a rumor.

yensid67

I honestly cant remember what AL looked like without it. When did it first open, and does anyone have pics pre Aladdin?

I don't have pictures of what the area looked like before the Aladdin, but we all know how imaginative everyone is here so imagine this...

As you enter across Adventureland bridge coming from the Hub, and passing the Dole Whip place on the right and Swiss Family Treehouse on the left, Imagine a large, uncongested area to walk to Pirates or Jungle Cruise!

I worked there when they put in Aladdin and thought it was out of place in AL. Like otehr posts a nice water feature or a Misting Palm Trees to cool you off as you pass through would be nice!!!!! It is a lot of concrete so it does get VERY warm during the summer days in Florida!

If you have a question or want to know about some on or off property lodging or help with planning your trip on a budget, go to wdwqa in yahoo groups and join! I am a fellow Cast Member and I would love to help you with a question or give you some information about the area or lodging on or off proprty. I can also direct you to DISCOUNT theme park tickets, lodging and car rentals!!!!!

RandySavage

I would really like to see the Carpets (and the bazaar) go away. Disneyland Paris proves that, when done well, Arabian architecture can meld smoothly with other Adventureland motifs like Polynesia and Africa.

Problem is, in MK, it wasn't done well. The architecture does little to acknowledge or ease the transition to the neighboring structures and in places the bazaar looks cheaply fabricated - like local carnival plastic cheap.

That said, the carpets are not going anywhere. I have no authoritative info on this, but from an economic standpoint - the standpoint that matters most to TDO - it would be a negative return proposition to remove the carpets:

Cost of Removal/Replacement
+
Loss of Hourly Capacity
>
Savings from reusing parts in Tokyo (not owned by TWDC) or Fantasyland
+
Improved aesthetics/flow.

Sadly, themeparkdude is right. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Edit: I would love to eat crow on this.

lazyboy97o

Cost of Removal/Replacement
+
Loss of Hourly Capacity
>
Savings from reusing parts in Tokyo (not owned by TWDC) or Fantasyland
+
Improved aesthetics/flow.
Even within companies, divisions buy and sell products from each other. If The Oriental Land Company is going to use parts from Aladdin's Magic Carpets, they would not be getting them for free, but instead would be paying Team Disney Orlando for them.

RandySavage

WidenYourWorld
http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/adv.htm

Is a phenomenal site, with lots of fantastic info and media on the original WDW & MK.

From that site, here are some pics of the area:
sunshinepavconc.jpg

advshopsc1977.jpg

advplaza1972simoneghostflickr.jpg

adv.htm

advviewmasterscan.jpg

Putting these cheap cloth awnings in front of the old Traders of Timbuktu was a downgrade in design:
3138807289_67c4613d1a_b.jpg

DLP's take on Arabia is much more appealing:
1598532817_4d8018a4ea_b.jpg

Even within companies, divisions buy and sell products from each other. If The Oriental Land Company is going to use parts from Aladdin's Magic Carpets, they would not be getting them for free, but instead would be paying Team Disney Orlando for them.

Fair enough. But I believe there some ideal capacity/investment ratio of rides/guest/hour(day) (which the Rollins TDO MBAs have calculated in order to "maximize" return on investment). As the most visited park in the world, why would MK invest cash to dismantle a fairly-popular, capacity-providing attraction, reducing the above return ratio - in order to get a few million $ from OLC or improve the aesthetics/flow of the land?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom