Magic Carpets of Aladdin Rumor.

_Scar

Do they, now?

I think it will look quite odd against the incredily realistic land.

The concept art looks like they're trying to put lipstick on a pig- as in, it can look nice but still doesn't fit.

Enchantâmes

I miss the old Plaza... I remember running around the old seating area by the pond in front of the Tiki Room. It used to be so calm in Adventureland... now its like walking into a mad house.

CaptainJackNO

I agree the carpets have congested the area. However, I do enjoy the attraction for what it is worth and have had a blast on it with my son. I would not want to see it go. I agree that it is not ideal with the surrounding theme of the area, but maybe it could fit some other area. Not sure which one, but as others have said, it is much better than waiting forever for Dumbo. I think it is a pretty nice attraction that offers a good view of the area at full height.

Brian

My main problem with Carpets is the camels. There are spitting things to the left of it (heading towards Pirates), no need for something else to get me wet when I don't want to. I swear the thing knows that I don't want to get wet and squirts me anyway!!

As for the ride itself, I found it intolerable to have to stop dead in the middle of the path next to the Carpets to get to Pirates. Then to hear people ahead of me saying "Oh look there's Pirates!", made me nervous because you don't know how long the wait is.

I would love to have a fountain area or perhaps a small grassy area with palm tress in it.

Exprcoofto

My main problem with Carpets is the camels. There are spitting things to the left of it (heading towards Pirates), no need for something else to get me wet when I don't want to. I swear the thing knows that I don't want to get wet and squirts me anyway!!

As for the ride itself, I found it intolerable to have to stop dead in the middle of the path next to the Carpets to get to Pirates. Then to hear people ahead of me saying "Oh look there's Pirates!", made me nervous because you don't know how long the wait is.

I would love to have a fountain area or perhaps a small grassy area with palm tress in it.

The Enchanted Tiki Garden from DL would fit nicely there. ;)

BalooChicago

There's probably not much money saved by retheming the existing Ride to be Dumbo, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised that the life cycle cost of an all new Dumbo spinner would be cheaper. Do we even know if the Dumbo spinner is being *MOVED* and not replaced with a new spinner?

Magicot

This is an interesting comment because it speaks to how well the design vernacular of Adventureland was established by the original Imagineers. Technically, the only attraction that takes place in the time period you've mentioned (1920s) is the Jungle Cruise.

The Swiss Family shipwreck took place in the early 1800s. The golden age of piracy was in the 1700s. The tiki culture of Polynesia existed for centuries before European contact (e.g., 900AD).

In Paris' Adventureland, Arabian/desert themes are masterfully interwoven with African, Indian and Caribbean jungle themes - even Peter Pan - to create a transcendent adventurous experience.

The stories of Arabian Nights could have a welcome place in Magic Kingdom's AL. But Disney opted for cheap cloth awnings in front of existing buildings (the Bazaar) and some very plastic-looking, cartoonish carpets & camels. There's the problem right there: little else in the land is plastic-looking or cartoonish

Had more money been allocated for design and materials (and some new facades), the Carpet attraction could have been well integrated into the style of the land.
Jungle Cruise actually takes place solely in the year 1938.

Dwarful

We got stuck on this ride during Friday nights Extra Magic Hours. Thankfully, we were not near the spitting camel.

Krack

Confirmation?

I'd be surprised to hear the Jungle Cruise is supposed to take place in 1938 because it is clearly influenced by The African Queen, which takes place in 1914 (during World War I).

EDIT: On second thought, the music in the queue probably does date it much later.

Magicot

I'd be surprised to hear the Jungle Cruise is supposed to take place in 1938 because it is clearly influenced by The African Queen, which takes place in 1914 (during World War I).

EDIT: On second thought, the music in the queue probably does date it much later.
I don't have the official documents on me but they aren't supposed to be released anyways. Though, 1938 is a definite for the Jungle Cruise backstory (both in DL and MK). It's in every new Skipper's training manuel and spiel. All the music and references in the queue are circa 1938 or earlier. And JC is inspired by The African Queen- however it doesn't follow the same story or year. There's some more info in this interview about the JC setting: http://www.denverstevens.com/Jungle/interview/interviewlk.htm

*And remember!*
Adventurers Club is (was) 1937
Jungle Cruise is 1938
Tower of Terror is 1939
:wave:

Krack

I don't have the official documents on me but they aren't supposed to be released anyways. Though, 1938 is a definite for the Jungle Cruise backstory (both in DL and MK). It's in every new Skipper's training manuel and spiel. All the music and references in the queue are circa 1938 or earlier. And JC is inspired by The African Queen- however it doesn't follow the same story or year. There's some more info in this interview about the JC setting: http://www.denverstevens.com/Jungle/interview/interviewlk.htm

*And remember!*
Adventurers Club is (was) 1937
Jungle Cruise is 1938
Tower of Terror is 1939
:wave:

Actually, he explains it in the interview - it became 1938 as part of the re-themeing of the attraction in 1995. Most likely, this was to make it contemporaneous with the Indiana Jones attraction being added next door. I'm still willing to bet the "attraction year" prior to the re-theme was somewhere in the 1910s-20s.

Buried20KLeague

Wow, it says the cost of this project is $22 million American. Seems like a LOT for a spinner.

But to bring that thought on-topic... If that's accurate, maybe there IS some truth to moving the carpets and re-using them. Could save 8-10 Million bucks. :shrug:

Assuming that $22 is accurate, and that maybe half of that is the actual cost of the ride itself, and the other half is for infrastructure, installation, construction, landscaping, design, etc...

Alektronic

Wow, it says the cost of this project is $22 million American. Seems like a LOT for a spinner.

But to bring that thought on-topic... If that's accurate, maybe there IS some truth to moving the carpets and re-using them. Could save 8-10 Million bucks. :shrug:

Assuming that $22 is accurate, and that maybe half of that is the actual cost of the ride itself, and the other half is for infrastructure, installation, construction, landscaping, design, etc...

It is closer to 20-25% is the actual cost of the ride from Zamperla.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom