LucasLand Blue Sky Rumor @ DHS

flavious27

While two of the attractions were simple attractions with simple re-themes, Harry Potter certainly added substantial value to that park.

Well the value would be how much the attendance increase above the 6 million annual guest range. Along with that, the amount universal is getting back from that gain above the 6 million guest range after costs and royalties.

I've heard this thrown out there a few times. They could easily re-route the entry plaza for DHS as part of the plan to re-route the back entrance as well. It can be pre-emptive even if this space isn't utilized for years.

There is rerouting that needs to be used around dhs. Do you have a mockup of how it could be rerouted?

RSoxNo1

Well the value would be how much the attendance increase above the 6 million annual guest range. Along with that, the amount universal is getting back from that gain above the 6 million guest range after costs and royalties.
The value is largely in the merchandise sales. By all accounts, the success of Harry Potter in year 1 has exceeded all expectations. I can only assume if this success is causing the buzz to start about an expansion to the land, the contracts and royalties are not too prohibitive.

Having said that, I don't have information on the contract - this is just an educated guess.

There is rerouting that needs to be used around dhs. Do you have a mockup of how it could be rerouted?

Wasn't there talk of re-routing the parking lot anyways? I would assume moving the entrance road to the grassey area to the South East would be the best approach. There was also a plan at one point to have the Parking Tolls to be put into a tunnell with a gradual slope up and down leading over to that larger area.

maxairmike

Personally, if you're moving the parking entrance, make it more like MK and EPCOT, where you enter at the top. Have the entrance off of Victory Way or Osceola Parkway and have the entry road terminate at the "top" of the lot where the tram turnaround is. Keep the current Buena Vista exit as is, and turn the entrance into Cast and bus/taxi only.

flavious27

The value is largely in the merchandise sales. By all accounts, the success of Harry Potter in year 1 has exceeded all expectations. I can only assume if this success is causing the buzz to start about an expansion to the land, the contracts and royalties are not too prohibitive.

Having said that, I don't have information on the contract - this is just an educated guess.

Well merch is a big factor with wwhp, $8 butter beer in a souvenir cup anyone? I thought I saw on another thread that the expansion was written into the contract, so that the last movies are represented. As for any hard numbers for anything connected to wwhp, the only people that know them are laughing at our ignorance.

Wasn't there talk of re-routing the parking lot anyways? I would assume moving the entrance road to the grassey area to the South East would be the best approach. There was also a plan at one point to have the Parking Tolls to be put into a tunnell with a gradual slope up and down leading over to that larger area.

There could have been talk about working over the parking lot, but it is just talk until a permit is submitted and a contractor is hired.

NoChesterHester

Putting the roadway in a tunnel is an issue in Florida where you can't go down two feet without hitting water. One of the reasons we are getting a ride instead of meet and greets is that the cancellation of the extension of the utilidor for the meet and greets saved a ton of money. Sub-grade construction is very expensive.

Additionally, you really can't build over top of a tunnel very well... You are very limited on depth, so buildings are very tricky. Walkways are really the only good thing you can do since it is basically like building on an elevated concrete slab.

As you stated, the best option is to move the entrance road to the south and west by 300 feet or so.

Another option in looking at the map is to consume the SW most surface parking lot into expansion area. A quick measurement puts it at about 15 acres. Clearing and building where the lot was would be very effective because it is already prepped for real construction. To get parking capacity back up a structured deck over the eastern most parking lots really wouldn't be that difficult.

Lee

Adventurer
Not to be a downer or anything, but the title of this thread says it all...
img_8708_blue_sky2.jpg

RSoxNo1

Yeah, I should clarify that anything I said about future plans had little to no basis in reality. My thoughts on re-routing the entry plaza was also pure speculation.

The logical expansion to the park is Pixar Place. It's closest to the existing infrastructure in the park and plans further along than these blue sky concepts have already been developed (Monster's inc Coaster, Carsland).

Having said all that, success with Star Tours could go a few different ways - it could mean expansion to that land, it could mean expansion to Pixar Place to spread the crowds, or it could mean expansion to another park (Animal Kingdom) that becomes the new need once Star Tours fuels attendance at DHS.

If Star Tours is a failure, I think it's safe to rule out expansion to the Lucas projects. I think this would point to the Pixar Place expansion even more.

flavious27

Putting the roadway in a tunnel is an issue in Florida where you can't go down two feet without hitting water. One of the reasons we are getting a ride instead of meet and greets is that the cancellation of the extension of the utilidor for the meet and greets saved a ton of money. Sub-grade construction is very expensive.

Additionally, you really can't build over top of a tunnel very well... You are very limited on depth, so buildings are very tricky. Walkways are really the only good thing you can do since it is basically like building on an elevated concrete slab.

As you stated, the best option is to move the entrance road to the south and west by 300 feet or so.

Another option in looking at the map is to consume the SW most surface parking lot into expansion area. A quick measurement puts it at about 15 acres. Clearing and building where the lot was would be very effective because it is already prepped for real construction. To get parking capacity back up a structured deck over the eastern most parking lots really wouldn't be that difficult.

Something like this:

dhsnewsouthentrance.png

Ignohippo

That's exactly what I've always imagined they'll eventually do (however the creek will probably fall on the outside of the entrance). That's a perfect scenario for expansion.

Anyone know why they built the park so close to the main roadways? DHS has an infinite amount of design mistakes, but landlocking the park with the roadways has to be the biggest. The park could've easily been built with future expansion in mind, but instead it was designed with barriers on 3 of the 4 sides. Brilliant! :brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Anyone know why they built the park so close to the main roadways? DHS has an infinite amount of design mistakes, but landlocking the park with the roadways has to be the biggest. The park could've easily been built with future expansion in mind, but instead it was designed with barriers on 3 of the 4 sides. Brilliant! :brick:
Back in 1985 it was designed as a studio facility, with an option for guests to tour the facility with a few attractions bolted on for good measure. By the time the theme park evolved it was too late.

flavious27

Yeah, I should clarify that anything I said about future plans had little to no basis in reality. My thoughts on re-routing the entry plaza was also pure speculation.

The logical expansion to the park is Pixar Place. It's closest to the existing infrastructure in the park and plans further along than these blue sky concepts have already been developed (Monster's inc Coaster, Carsland).

Having said all that, success with Star Tours could go a few different ways - it could mean expansion to that land, it could mean expansion to Pixar Place to spread the crowds, or it could mean expansion to another park (Animal Kingdom) that becomes the new need once Star Tours fuels attendance at DHS.

If Star Tours is a failure, I think it's safe to rule out expansion to the Lucas projects. I think this would point to the Pixar Place expansion even more.

I think that a properly, well designed star wars land would work and be popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom