LucasLand Blue Sky Rumor @ DHS

AEfx

Wasnt MGM a "rushed" concept to counter Universal?

It was supposedly originally going to be an Epcot pavilion that suddenly Michael Eisner said, "You know what? This should be it's own park!"

So yeah, it was done to counter Universal. ;) Though I do believe the inception of the Great Movie Ride indeed was in the Epcot pavilion idea.

CDavid

I wonder if victory way would need to be upgraded to handle the extra traffic. The mockup I made could have the south entrance drive extended to the top of the parking lot. Also, I wonder if disney could add a boating canal to Caribbean and possibly the pop century complex.

boatcandextendedsouthdr.png

I love the idea of a canal connecting Caribbean Beach/Pop/Animation to the Studios and even the International Gateway. The distances involved aren't impractical, though you would need three water bridges or overpasses.

As for the Studios entrance and exit, why not just connect it directly to Osceola? No capacity issues, it effectively gives you a direct 'Studios' exit off I-4, and if you reworked the intersection of Victory Way, you could have no stoplights between the Studios and off-property destinations. The current access to Buena Vista should be closed, or at least restricted to Disney transportation, as that road is overly congested (and something needs to be done anyway).

Thrill Seeker

I love the idea of a canal connecting Caribbean Beach/Pop/Animation to the Studios and even the International Gateway. The distances involved aren't impractical, though you would need three water bridges or overpasses.

As for the Studios entrance and exit, why not just connect it directly to Osceola? No capacity issues, it effectively gives you a direct 'Studios' exit off I-4, and if you reworked the intersection of Victory Way, you could have no stoplights between the Studios and off-property destinations. The current access to Buena Vista should be closed, or at least restricted to Disney transportation, as that road is overly congested (and something needs to be done anyway).

You could even slightly expand the parking lot in addition to the park itself. This sounds like an idea that needs to be done.

flavious27

I used Victory Way simply because, even at park closing times, I have never seen traffic, so it would likely need minimal enhancements to handle the increase in traffic. The biggest issue with my mockup would be the "off-ramp" for the Studios entrance on the north-bound side, which would be a two-lane ramp. I do not know if there is truly enough room to do that, but that would certainly be a better traffic solution than a backed up stoplight. I don't think AoA will cause too much of a traffic increase on Victory Way, plus there is plenty of room to expand the road through there for an extra lane on each side if it would be needed to handle the traffic. Extending the current south entrance to the top of the lot is certainly a possibility, but it would still be a useless entrance unless you find a way to have traffic from south-bound World Drive and both sides of Osceola Parkway access it as well. Clearly the north "side entrance" just cannot handle the amount of traffic it gets, but it gets that much because it is the only convenient access unless you happen to be coming from 192 or I-4 north-bound, off property from an area where honestly, very little traffic comes from (in my experience).

The only existing issue would be figuring out how to re-route traffic on New Years Eve, as that is currently the outlet for EPCOT cast, and any guests coming from the east end of property and Buena Vista Drive.

Just so you know, not trying to bust anyone's chops.

dhssouthentrancebetter.png

This can be a solution to the south entrance being better. There will be a flyover lane for east bound Osc Parkway traffic that merges with the south entrance road. Along with that, west bound Osc Parkway traffic will have a lane to merge onto that lane, which leads to the south entrance road. Any traffic on south bound world drive can take the exit to take east bound Osc Parkway.

flavious27

Agreed, one of the best things about FW is the boat ride. Old world tech that makes for an unique and memorable experience.

maxairmike

This can be a solution to the south entrance being better. There will be a flyover lane for east bound Osc Parkway traffic that merges with the south entrance road. Along with that, west bound Osc Parkway traffic will have a lane to merge onto that lane, which leads to the south entrance road. Any traffic on south bound world drive can take the exit to take east bound Osc Parkway.

The only issue with that is the ramp from east-bound Osceola. There is not enough room to do it as constructed, I think, you would need to have it break off to the south side of the road and then curve around (like I did with the north-bound Victory Way ramp in my mock-up, also, having that so close to the World Drive exit would be a disaster from the guests' perspective). While that would certainly make the south entrance fully accessible from all directions, I think if you're going to the trouble of moving the entrance, that is an awful lot of asphalt and concrete to lay down again, when you could have a much shorter lay off of Victory Way. And that would just be to repave the current north-bound lane in its new location, not to speak of all the new ramps and grading for the additional lanes. I think Victory Way is capable of handling the inbound traffic (only congested period would be from about 7am-11am) with minimal improvements beyond the two off-ramps for the park entrance.

jt04

Awesome! Can you post the entire photoshop? A chunk has been cropped.

flavious27

The only issue with that is the ramp from east-bound Osceola. There is not enough room to do it as constructed, I think, you would need to have it break off to the south side of the road and then curve around (like I did with the north-bound Victory Way ramp in my mock-up, also, having that so close to the World Drive exit would be a disaster from the guests' perspective). While that would certainly make the south entrance fully accessible from all directions, I think if you're going to the trouble of moving the entrance, that is an awful lot of asphalt and concrete to lay down again, when you could have a much shorter lay off of Victory Way. And that would just be to repave the current north-bound lane in its new location, not to speak of all the new ramps and grading for the additional lanes. I think Victory Way is capable of handling the inbound traffic (only congested period would be from about 7am-11am) with minimal improvements beyond the two off-ramps for the park entrance.

Well the on ramp for the eastbound can start farther away, with some nice big signs.

I see alot of concrete is going to be needed to fix the problem that should not have existed if they built the park correctly 20+ years ago.

Lee

Adventurer
This thread needs to find a new home over in the armchair imagineering forum.
Like I said earlier...pure blue sky. Nothing more.

AEfx

Why did I suddenly picture the Star Wars Holiday Special in my head? :)

Unfortunately, Carrie Fisher no longer does drugs (illegal ones, at least) so the best parts of the Holiday Special would not be able to be recreated unless they CGI'd that glassy look in her eyes.

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom