LucasLand Blue Sky Rumor @ DHS

Lee

Adventurer
you might want to look a lot closer to Fantasyland for the next remodel/expansion if plans remain as they are today.

It is possible that they could dust off the plans for Frontierland. Those are much farther along than any Lucas-oriented land at DHS.

whylightbulb

It is possible that they could dust off the plans for Frontierland. Those are much farther along than any Lucas-oriented land at DHS.
Hey Lee I was planning on contacting you about this because from what I've been hearing lately these plans have been dusted off and are being moved to the next phase of development soon.

misterID

It's really cool and encouraging to know things are in the pipeline, but sad that MK is still getting more and AK is still being left out in the cold.

juniorthomas

You are right and wrong. Potter is a juggernaut in terms of merchandise and food sales. Universal has NEVER seen the first dollar of families in Orlando before.

I don't care what Meg Crofton wants to tell us -- While Potter may not be hurting Disney from an attendance standpoint, they can't be happy about the typical family saving that $200 for wands and robes at WWOHP rather than Mouse Ear Hats and Whirlygigs...

I am not privy to the accounting of Theme Parks, but I have long surmised that the admission fee all goes to overhead. It is wildly expensive to run the theme parks. All the profit comes from overpriced food and expensive merchandise. Why else would a hot dog costs six bucks? It is like going to see a movie. The ticket sales all go back to the studio.

I definitely agree with your premise that the best two franchises Disney either own's or has rights to at the Theme Parks is Cars and Star Wars. Star Wars people are as nuts as Harry Potter fans (possibly even moreso) in buying stuff. The more creative the merchandise the more they buy.

The expansion on the left side of the park in terms of the Star Wars franchise is what makes the most sense. That probably means it won't happen.

Definitely moreso. Star Wars fans have had more time to simmer in the pot.

whylightbulb

you make my heart go all aflutter! lol

Any hints as to what might be being dusted off?
I don't know if it's the right time for any more hints yet. One reason is because It's way to early. The plans for now are to wait until after Fantasyland opens before any walls go up. Obviously since this will be almost two years anything can happen between now and then.

The main reason I personally don't want to give out anything more is because I'm not sure how many people are privy to this information. Revealing specifics at this point might give away identities and that could be bad for future business.

juniorthomas

The question is, though - is Harry Potter evergreen?

Star Wars has been around for almost 35 years. The Muppets even longer.

Harry Potter is a series of books that is finished, and a film series that is about to be finished.

There has been pretty constant Potter-mania for the past decade because of the constant release of new material. After a few years without new material, the brand will fade somewhat since it doesn't seem to be going ancillary (i.e. we've never heard of a Potter-themed TV show in the works, etc.).

A properly themed Lucasland area would be an evergreen expansion that eventually could eclipse Potter as Harry seems to be passing over the other end of the hype scale over the next couple of years.

I'll agree with you. Harry Potter's best chances of success are when there are books or films to support it. As soon as the next film is off of store shelves, HP will only stay relevant based on the theme park attractions. If Universal doesn't add to it every few years, even that will die off.

I think HP should remain popular, but its due for a significant drop off after it leaves the minds of consumers. I don't think it has the same legs Star Wars has at all.

Magenta Panther

There were rumors about Wonderland being considered for Fantasyland...hmmm...

And again, how about something based on Fantasia?

Okay, I'm a Disney purist, I admit it. If anything's being added to the parks, I would like it very much if it were Disney-based - that is, if it were something that originated (or was developed and recast into a Disney version) in-house at the Disney company, not something that was bought off-the-rack or which is a "guest star" from another company. There is still so much left in the Disney legacy that could be used.

Or how about something ORIGINAL, NEW and NOT based on a Disney franchise, a la Haunted Mansion or Pirates?

Anyway, I'll be eagerly awaiting future developments...

ParkMan73

Only time would really tell, but I'd figure that LOTR would not be as big a draw.

I am a big LOTR fan, but I don't think it translates to a park in the way that Harry Potter does today or that Star Wars does.

When I was a kid and saw the original Star Wars movie, they dominated my imagination & play. I'd pretend to be a Jedi, play with the action figures & ships, or even just daydream about what it would be like to be in a Star Wars world. As I got older and Lego finally released their Star Wars line, I bought every one that I could. When the Phantom Menace was going to come out - wow, I remember the excitement that everyone had (unfortunately, it didn't turn out as good as everyone hoped)

Potter had some of that - the imagination of being a wizard, the wonder of Hogwarts, etc... It even had the Lego sets :)

Amongst the two, I think (at least for me), Star Wars captured my imagination in a way that Harry Potter only scratched the surface of.

When I look at my kids, they love to dress up as star wars characters wear their "Hogwarts" robes. They can imagine what it's like to live in those worlds.

LOTR, on the other hand, is a great set of books and some tremendous movies - however, I don't see how you translate that into theme park wow & excitement. My 8 year old can't see himself in the LOTR, he doesn't dress up as a hobbit. Even as a kid, the only character I marveled at was Gandalf. Basically, as I see it, LOTR is a GREAT!!! story, but when it's over its over. Star Wars is the king of keeping my imagination. Harry Potter a distant second.

flavious27

To me that means Tomorrowland or Frontierland. I assume this isn't just the re-working of the Liberty Square to Fantasyland transition area.

I also think that Frontierland would be the next logical land in MK to expand, though I wish it was not the next land in wdw to get an expansion.

I worked with RandySavage to show expansion in MK.

flavious27

I just don't see how they could do something as big and epic as LOTR in themepark form. It wouldn't live up to the books/movies. But then, they did it with Harry Potter....:shrug:;)

A LOTR land would need some real room, to space and layout the attractions to work. With the current gates, a lotr land would not fit in.

Only time would really tell, but I'd figure that LOTR would not be as big a draw.

I am a big LOTR fan, but I don't think it translates to a park in the way that Harry Potter does today or that Star Wars does.

When I was a kid and saw the original Star Wars movie, they dominated my imagination & play. I'd pretend to be a Jedi, play with the action figures & ships, or even just daydream about what it would be like to be in a Star Wars world. As I got older and Lego finally released their Star Wars line, I bought every one that I could. When the Phantom Menace was going to come out - wow, I remember the excitement that everyone had (unfortunately, it didn't turn out as good as everyone hoped)

Potter had some of that - the imagination of being a wizard, the wonder of Hogwarts, etc... It even had the Lego sets :)

Amongst the two, I think (at least for me), Star Wars captured my imagination in a way that Harry Potter only scratched the surface of.

When I look at my kids, they love to dress up as star wars characters wear their "Hogwarts" robes. They can imagine what it's like to live in those worlds.

LOTR, on the other hand, is a great set of books and some tremendous movies - however, I don't see how you translate that into theme park wow & excitement. My 8 year old can't see himself in the LOTR, he doesn't dress up as a hobbit. Even as a kid, the only character I marveled at was Gandalf. Basically, as I see it, LOTR is a GREAT!!! story, but when it's over its over. Star Wars is the king of keeping my imagination. Harry Potter a distant second.

The attractions for a lotr would need to have guests use their imagination more than just be entertained. There would need to be an Old Forrest that guests can wander through and discover different shoe elements.

Imagineer6

The thing is, Disney doesn't have to respond. Every little thing that keeps guest coming back is just enough. Just adding Captain EO was good enough. This Harry Potter Land may cause Universal to draw the bottom line, because DISASTER!, The Simpsons Ride, or Hollywood, Rip, Ride, Rockit didn't. Even before this, Disney was planning the FLE, Star Tours 2, World of Color, and Cars Land!. Now I know WOC and CL are both in DL California, and the only people that will go to see them are the Disney fans, a.k.a., us.

Imagineer6

To me that means Tomorrowland or Frontierland. I assume this isn't just the re-working of the Liberty Square to Fantasyland transition area.

Tommorowland probably dosen't need it; to me Frontierland could use some work especially in the Tom Sawyer Island area. Or is that in Liberty Square? Fairly it can be on either side.

RSoxNo1

With all this talk about more MK expansion it really has me confused on the priorities. Sure, I welcome potential additions to the flagship park, but all that does is create a larger gap between MK and the other 3 parks.

Thrill Seeker

I also think that Frontierland would be the next logical land in MK to expand, though I wish it was not the next land in wdw to get an expansion.

I worked with RandySavage to show expansion in MK.

Frontierland doesn't need expansion. Splash and Thunder are two of the park's flagship attractions. Thunder needs a major refurbishment, but other than that, Frontierland is fine the way it is. DHS and DAK need expansion before MK needs more. Epcot also needs something new. They haven't gotten anything major since Soarin' in 2005. That's the longest drought of all the Orlando area theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom